Might get Tivo again (Been about 7 years) and have some questions.

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by GameGuru, May 17, 2010.

1. GameGuru

GameGuru Active Member

Dec 12, 2003
    Dover, OH

Advertisements

We have had Time Warner with their DVR for years and have now dropped down to just a regular box with no DVR. What is the cheapest Tivo I can get with a cheap lifetime activation?

2. SugarBowl

SugarBowl Member

Jan 4, 2007
    north carolina
    do you want HD ? ??

I would ballpark around $400.

3. GameGuru

GameGuru Active Member

Dec 12, 2003
    Dover, OH
    Yeah I do. Could you like to me what I can get for around $400 with lifetime activation please?

4. slowbiscuit

slowbiscuit FUBAR

Sep 19, 2006
    In the ATL
    ebay is your friend. Or craigslist, sometimes. You're not going to get a new one for that price.

5. LifeIsABeach

LifeIsABeach Active Member

Feb 28, 2001
    Drexel Hill, PA
  6. dlfl

dlfl Cranky old novice

Jul 6, 2006
    Dayton OH
    Don't settle for 160GB or 250GB, unless you don't plan to record HD. Either get 1 TB or get an HD and plan to upgrade the internal drive to 1T or 2T for $70 to $130.

Do NOT use the external expander.

7. brettatk

brettatk Thread Killer

Oct 11, 2002
    Powder...
    Even a refurb Tivo HD with lifetime will cost you $500. The only chance you have in getting one for $400 or under is to find it used on Ebay or Craigslist. Then you have to take a chance that it works and everything is ok with the lifetime sub.

8. WizarDru

WizarDru New Member

Jan 18, 2005
    Malvern, PA
    Speaking as someone who has used one for two years....why not?

9. brettatk

brettatk Thread Killer

Oct 11, 2002
    Powder...
    I believe there were a lot of problems with the MyDVR Expander at first. It also doubles your chance of something going wrong. Now you have two hard drives that can eventually go bad instead of one. If something does go wrong with the expander, all recordings are lost (atleast all that have recorded since it was installed). That's probably the biggest reason I never got one. For me it was easier to upgrade the internal drive instead of going the expander route.

10. dlfl

dlfl Cranky old novice

Jul 6, 2006
    Dayton OH
    Yours must be the 500 GB model and at two years you're doing better than average. They have a reputation of failing at 12 to 18 mos. Not sure if the reputation of the 1 GB models has been established.

In general:
    1. Hard drives are the most likely thing to fail in TiVo's. With an external drive you double your chances of failure. You also get the eSata cable and connectors and external drive housing as possible failure points.

2. When it fails, you lose every recording that was made with it attached because TiVo stripes each recording across both internal and external drives. Thus there is no redundancy advantage of having two drives.

3. It is so easy and cheap to upgrade internal drives to 1T or 2T.

See the drive expansion thread for more details.

11. GameGuru

GameGuru Active Member

Dec 12, 2003
    Dover, OH
  12. mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    only if you already have a Tivo subscription IIRC.. Tivo's website has all the info.

13. brettatk

brettatk Thread Killer

Oct 11, 2002
    Powder...
    AFAIK, no you cannot. I have two lifetime Tivos on my account (S2 and Tivo HD). When I login on the Tivo website and put the refurb in my cart my only choice for lifetime is $399. That's why I mentioned above a refurb with lifetime will run you $500.

Now if you already had a Tivo on your account you could upgrade it to the Premier for either $299 or $499 and then add lifetime for $199.