1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Midnight, Texas - new show on NBC

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by Thom, Jul 27, 2017.

1. Thom

Thom Unemployed and loving it !

Jun 5, 2000
    Southern Calif.
    NBC has a new show called Midnight, Texas. It's based on some books by Charlaine Harris, which make up a paranormal mystery series about a small town in Texas named Midnight. The town residents are a mysterious bunch of oddballs, and so is their newest resident, a real psychic who just moved there.

Only the pilot has aired, and it is currently available from Hulu if you missed it. It appears fairly well cast to me, and I enjoyed the variety and outright mysterious creepiness of some of the characters. Episode one definitely kept my interest and I'm looking forward to episode two.

This is not a run-of-the-mill show, based on the first episode. Hope they keep the quality.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2017
    IDSmoker likes this.
  2. stellie93

stellie93 Well-Known Member

Feb 25, 2006
    I've read several of the books this is based on. They seem to be running through the plot pretty quickly for people who haven't got the background I have. I love the characters, tho. One complaint--the witch in the books is a fat girl who is shy around men--of course we couldn't have a fat girl on a show. :( (love the cat) :up:

3. rharmelink

rharmelink Active Member

Nov 30, 2015
    The first episode has me wanting more, but so far it reminds me a lot of True Blood.

4. TIVO_GUY_HERE

TIVO_GUY_HERE I miss the ocean

Jul 10, 2000
    Dallas Texas
    From what I've read a lot of people compared it to True blood.
    Will stick around and see how crazy it gets.

5. Thom

Jun 5, 2000
    Southern Calif.
    Well, I just finished reading the first book, so I know who did it - assuming the TV show follows the book(s) that closely in the beginning.

Now on to book two.

6. dswallow

dswallow Save the ModeratŠ¾r TCF Club

Dec 3, 2000
    Long...
    Love the cat, too. :) I wouldn't mind living in that town, either.

7. Rainy Dave

Rainy Dave Regulated User

Nov 11, 2001
    Puget Sound...
    I caught the pilot last night. Interesting show.

8. Fixer

Fixer Fixin' it!!

Mar 29, 2005
    The Great...
    Forgot to record it, but caught it on demand. I thought it was fairly decent. A whole hell of a lot better than ABC's new offering this week, "Somewhere Between". I'm looking forward to more of the Wiccan's cat!

9. Hoffer

Hoffer Eat Lightning ----- Poo Thunder

Jun 1, 2001
    Twin Cities, MN
    Hadn't heard of this before an hour ago. Almost done with the first episode and am enjoying it so far.

10. markz

markz Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2002
    Connersville...
    I am enjoying the show so far after a couple of episodes. I have not read the books, though I did read the ones True Blood was based on.

11. Howie

Howie Out of Pocket TCF Club

May 3, 2004
    San Antonio
    I've watched how ever many have been on so far. I didn't think I'd care for it at first, but I'm liking it now.

12. stellie93

Feb 25, 2006
    The books are really good. The show is ok--maybe a little too much action and less time to get to know the characters. IMO Charlaine Harris is like Stephen King--she's an awesome writer. Her books are great. Sometimes when they're made into shows they're great too and sometimes (Dome) not so much. ;)

13. dcheesi

dcheesi ...I'm not.

Apr 6, 2001
    MD, USA
    I feel like the first episode really suffered from "pilot-itis"; they were in way too big of a hurry to introduce all of the characters etc., without taking the time to really lay the groundwork. I mean, the new guy sits down to his first dinner in town, and his new neighbor immediately says "Hi, I'm a vampire!"?! o_O The counterpoint to that is that we know all these facts about the characters, but without feeling like we really know them yet.

I realize that the first ep was in fact a pilot, and I'm trying to give the rest of the series the benefit of the doubt. But the jury's still out.

vman likes this.
  14. justen_m

justen_m Cheesehead

Jan 14, 2004
    Boise, ID
    Looks like the show will be revealing more about the characters' backstories as we go. The last episode (8/7) showed Lem's past, what makes him a "special" vampire, and his connection to Xylda and Manfred, etc. I guess we'll get info about everybody piecemeal as the show continues. I like it so far.

15. BrettStah

BrettStah Well-Known Member TCF Club

Nov 12, 2000
    San Antonio
    NBC has another show on that disproves that! :)

[​IMG]

Rainy Dave and NorthAlabama like this.
  16. stellie93

Feb 25, 2006
    Is this still on? I don't think I've seen it for a couple weeks???

17. Thom

Jun 5, 2000
    Southern Calif.
    It's still on. They just broadcast the succubus episode (episode 4).

Last edited: Aug 21, 2017
  18. stellie93

Feb 25, 2006
    Ok, I saw that one--thanks. It seems like a long time ago.

19. Thom

Jun 5, 2000
    Southern Calif.
    Just one week ago. New episode tonight (Monday.)

stellie93 likes this.
  20. stellie93

Feb 25, 2006
    Ok--now I see the problem. It must be on NBC, and in Cleveland the football game is on tonight. I thought I had looked for it in the guide. I'll have to stream it tomorrow. Thanks for your help. :up: