Mid-Season Shows -- your thoughts so far

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by astrohip, Feb 2, 2011.

1. Feb 2, 2011 #1 of 33
    astrohip

astrohip Well-Known Raconteur TCF Club

Jan 6, 2003
    Houston/Bren...

Advertisements

We're a few weeks into the mid-season. What new shows did you try, how are they, what have you given up on . . .

What I tried:

Fairly Legal: I really wanted to like this. I *love* Sarah Shahi, she has the most infectious smile. BUT... not this show. The writing is terrible, the situations unbelievable. Come on, she mediates her way out of robberies? And I hate when writers have people do stupid stuff that NO ONE really does in real life. As you're walking in the door to the reading of your father's will, you turn around and head to an emergency mediation. Sorry, episode deleted at that point, and SP zapped.

Spartacus: Gods of the Arena: This only slightly counts, as it's a prequel to last year's Spartacus. Great show. Not quite as superb as Spartacus, but still an A show.

Episodes (Showtime): Love it! Funny, witty, superbly written, with a great cast. Each episode gets better & better. Must watch TV.

Shameless: Watched the pilot, didn't like it. SP deleted.

Being Human: Mixed feelings. I like the show, like the concept. Love Meaghan Rath (plays Sally, the ghost), like Sam Witwer (plays Aidan the vampire). My problem is I really don't like Sam Huntington--Josh the werewolf. Don't know if it's the actor or the character or the writing (probably the actor). His mannerisms, his reactions, everything about him makes me want to delete the SP. But I like the show. The last time I felt this strongly about a character was Royal Pains and the brother (Paolo?). I disliked him so much I finally killed the SP. He made the show unwatchable. Josh is doing the same here. But I'll give it time.

The Cape: Been watching, but ready to kill the SP. Just not compelling enough. And too many plot holes (AKA stupid writing).

Retired at 35: Who green-lights this crap? I mean really, this is barely funny at all. The laugh track will start cackling, and I'm wondering where the punch line was? I only tried because of TVLand's success with HiC, but yikes, this is terrible.

Perfect Couple: Jury's still out. Only a couple eps have aired, I think. Writing is not as crisp as it should be, but with some sitcoms, it takes a few episodes to gel.

Bob's Burgers: I like this. Fresh, funny, *very* different animated comedy.

Lights Out: Have them all recorded, just haven't watched any yet.

Southland: This shouldn't be here, as it's a returning mid-season show. But it is one of the best hours on TV.

Feel free to add any you watched that I missed.

And... there's still a few more to start: Traffic Light, Mr. Sunshine, Mad Love and more.

2. Feb 2, 2011 #2 of 33
    sieglinde

sieglinde Active Member

Aug 11, 2002
    Sebastopol, CA
    I gave up on Fairly Legal and the Cape. I still have episodes of Harry's Law to watch and Being Human.

3. Feb 2, 2011 #3 of 33
    billypritchard

billypritchard Embiggener

May 7, 2001
    St. Louis, MO
    The Chicago Code starts next week.

4. Feb 2, 2011 #4 of 33
    Cainebj

Cainebj Well-Known Member

Nov 10, 2006
    New York
    I am liking

Fairly Legal
    Episodes
    Shameless

and I hate to say it I actually think the US version of BEING HUMAN is better than the UK version.

Two others you left out:

Skins - the Uk version was great - this one not so much...

and

Off The Map
    I was excited Zach Gilford was back on TV - loved him in Friday Night Lights - but I watched this once and in the middle of the second episode I deleted the SP.

5. Feb 2, 2011 #5 of 33
    astrohip

Jan 6, 2003
    Houston/Bren...

Advertisements

This was not on my list of shows I wanted to try, as I have all the police shows I need. But the reviews have been great, so I may try it.

6. Feb 2, 2011 #6 of 33
    reneg

reneg Well-Known Member

Jun 19, 2002
    Fairly Legal - Not up to par with the other USA network shows I watch, but it's easy on the eyes. Still have my season pass (SP).
    Spartacus - A notch below last season, but still entertaining.
    Perfect Couples - Pilot was too overdone for me, and it continued into the second episode, SP deleted and show deleted 10 minutes into 2nd episode.
    Being Human - Haven't watched the US version, tried watching UK version but SP deleted after third show.
    Lights Out - This one is drawing me in. Still have SP
    Flying Wild Alaska - I'm a sucker for Deadliest Catch, Ax Men, etc. This show fits right in with the others.
    Gold Rush: Alaska - Same as Flying Wild Alaska
    Off the Map - I don't watch but my wife still has a SP.
    Cape - Recorded, but not watched. Saw that episode count was reduced from 13 to 10. Deleted episodes & SP.
    Harry's Law - Still have the SP, but on verge of deleting it.

SP set for Chicago Code, Traffic Lights, & Mr. Sunshine. Have low expectations for all three.

7. Feb 2, 2011 #7 of 33
    jilter

jilter Not.

Oct 4, 2002
    astro, so I can get a basis....(I like your post, and for the shows I have seen, I totally agree) can you tell me some current (or recent past) shows you really like.

8. Feb 2, 2011 #8 of 33
    scooterboy

scooterboy Coney Island Small

Mar 27, 2001
    East...
    Gave up on Fairly Legal.
    Still watching Harry's Law (though not high on priority list).
    Still watching The Cape (though I have no idea why).

9. Feb 2, 2011 #9 of 33
    DreadPirateRob

DreadPirateRob Seriously?

Nov 11, 2002
    SoCal
    We have an SP for Off The Map, but haven't watched any of them yet.

I watched the first few eps of the The Cape and then dumped it. Just didn't engage me.

I'm waiting on Mr. Sunshine - I have high hopes for that one.

10. That Don Guy

That Don Guy Now with more GB

Mar 13, 2003
    Benicia, CA
    Traffic Light (you may have heard of it as "Mixed Signals") also starts next week. I saw a preview of an episode; it came across as something the Running Wilde crowd might like. (Quick synopsis: three simultaneous, but separated (except for when the men talk to each other on their cellphones when stopped at traffic lights, hence the name), stories (gee, where have I seen that before lately?) about three men - one married with an infant child, one who I think is engaged, and one who is still playing the field.)

-- Don

11. astrohip

Jan 6, 2003
    Houston/Bren...
    I have an SP that's close to 75 shows, but the meat & potatoes: (in no order, from my FutonCritic listings)

Southland, White Collar, Hot in Cleveland
    BBT, Community, Mentalist, Outsourced
    Fringe, Spartacus, Californication, Episodes
    2.5 Men, Mike & Molly, H 5-0
    V, Criminal Minds, Modern Family

Some cable shows:
    Justified, Big C, Nurse Jackie, US Tara
    Covert Affairs, Entourage, Louie, Mad Men
    Men of a Certain Age, True Blood
    Walking Dead, Weeds

The only reality show I watch is Survivor. I've debated adding TAR. I also have all 33 Breaking Bad sitting on the TiVo. One of these days . . .

Sorry you asked?:D

12. jilter

jilter Not.

Oct 4, 2002
    Nope....happy.
    Gives me an idea of what I can look into for new shows.
    I agreed with you about Retired at 35. I am shocked it got on the air, and I was so-looking forward to it.

Perfect Couples is another I was looking forward to it and I thought it was incredibly bad.

We just devoured all the eps of The Good Wife and thought it was good. The husband loved it.

13. Alfer

Alfer New Member

Aug 7, 2003
    Haven't heard of most of these shows nor have I watched them..well I did try The Cape (1 ep) and that was the end of that.

14. The Spud

The Spud Rather be cruising TCF Club

Aug 27, 2002
    Kent, WA
    Fairly Legal - I like it
    The Cape - didn't make it through the pilot
    Perfect Couples - I liked the preview episode, didn't like the pilot, liked the 2nd episode
    Off the Map - liking it so far
    Harry's Law - I think I like this one the best
    Retired at 35 - I remember watching this, but I don't remember a whole lot about it. Oh yeah, this is the one with George Segal and Jessica Walter (both of whom I like)
    Working Class - new sitcom on CMT with Ed Asner and Melissa Peterman. I am enjoying it in a mindless entertainment kind of way.

15. jilter

jilter Not.

Oct 4, 2002
    astro,
    I am back to thank you for your post about Episodes.
    I am just through Ep03, and I can not remember ever laughing out loud at a tv show like I have been at this one.
    Superb.
    I am trying to relish it like a good book that I try not to read quickly.

Seems like everything I really enjoy on tv is short-lived.
    Seven episodes?!? Bloody shame ;).
    Thanks again!

16. astrohip

Jan 6, 2003
    Houston/Bren...
    You're welcome. Seven episodes? Is that all the Episodes we get? I wasn't aware we weren't getting a std 13-pak cable set. :(

17. cheesesteak

cheesesteak Meh. TCF Club

Jul 24, 2003
    15 mins...
    The Cape - I accept it for what it is, a not very good comic book.

Lights Out - I watched and loved the pilot but haven't watched the following episodes yet for some reason.

18. uncdrew

uncdrew Annie 2.0

Aug 6, 2002
    Down South
    Lights Out (is the only one we watch) -- gave up on all others.

19. madscientist

madscientist Deregistered Snoozer

Nov 12, 2003
    Lexington, MA
    Watched 1.5 eps of Off the Map. Bleah. Nothing new or interesting here. Deleted SP.
    Shameless: awesome. One of my favorites.
    Lights Out: also well-done. Anyway, the pilot ep. was. Somehow I missed the second one and haven't had time to watch the third.
    Looking forward to Mr. Sunshine, against my better judgement. Matthew Perry and Alison Janney? Gotta be optimistic.
    Chicago Code: recording the pilot just in case. Jennifer Beals + Chicago locations makes it a "try it out" although I'm so over police procedurals in general.
    Episodes: optimistic about this but haven't had time to watch.
    Spartacus: Also great. I almost like it better than the first one, although I haven't seen the latest ep. yet. More sleeze and less nobility == more fun.

The rest of them: didn't even interest me enough to try them.

20. megory

megory Advanced TiVoOligan

Jan 22, 2003
    Spectrum,...
    Astro, I remember that I felt just as strongly against The Unbearable Brother, and I, too, deleted the SP to Royal Pains. The next season, brother became a tolerable putz, so I was able to watch from that time on. Now, he is actually . . . likeable!

Fairly Legal and Harry's Law :up:
    Sunshine and Off the Map :thumbsdown: Gone

Older shows: I'm getting over Castle (I LOVED it last year), and The Mentalist.
    Brothers & Sisters, Grey's Anatomy, gone