Microsoft Teases XBox TV

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by dcooper2025, Sep 17, 2011.

1. dcooper2025

dcooper2025 New Member

Sep 28, 2008
    Looks like MS may bypass the need for a DVR altogether with its coming XBox TV service. Appears to bypass cable providers by streaming everything from the networks directly on demand.

If it takes off and they sign all the major networks, no need for TiVo anymore, and their "time shifting" patents are mute and useless.

Interesting times....

2. rainwater

rainwater Active Member

Sep 21, 2004
    Let's be honest. The networks will never allow this. It's a pipe dream. Hulu was started by the networks and they couldn't even deliver on it.

3. dcooper2025

dcooper2025 New Member

Sep 28, 2008
    If if wasn't a Hulu-style option, but rather a broadcast stream like a cable offering, plus on-demand, it's just Microsoft getting into the cable biz, but streaming. So not any change to the network's biz models vs a Comcast or other.

4. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    Even Comcast and the like have to strike special deals with the networks to offer programs on demand. And they have to strike other deals with cable networks just to offer them as a live option. The only thing they can broadcast without any special permission are local broadcast stations, and you can get those with an antenna and save your bandwidth.

And even if MS could some how launch an internet based cable company people would quickly run up against bandwidth caps. Most ISPs, even those that don't publish it, have some sort of bandwidth cap. If you used the internet as your primary source of TV you'd most likely run up against that cap pretty quickly.

Dan

5. dylanemcgregor

dylanemcgregor Well-Known Member

Jan 31, 2003
    Corner of...
    I've been using the internet as my only source of TV for about 4 years now. I don't measure what my monthly bandwidth is, but so far no problems. I did switch from Verizon to Time Warner recently, so we'll see if that changes things.

6. rainwater

rainwater Active Member

Sep 21, 2004
    Doubtful since it seems much of the Xbox TV relies on specific providers so MS will be striking deals with them specifically. They have already announced a deal with Time Warner and Verizon for Xbox TV.

7. slowbiscuit

slowbiscuit FUBAR

Sep 19, 2006
    In the ATL
    Yep and Comcast has http://xfinitytv.comcast.net/ which allows you to watch a ton of content that you subscribe to online. All MS has to do is cut a deal to allow access to it from the Xbox, there's nothing new here otherwise.

Live TV is a little different, not sure if any provider is simulcasting their cable channel content online. There's watchespn and a few cable news channels done by the content owners themselves, don't know if a cable provider is doing that.

8. Chris Gerhard

Chris Gerhard Well-Known Member

Apr 27, 2002
    AR
    I expect Microsoft will be able to offer a good service and will have enough content to make it attractive but the big problem is finding a market willing to pay enough for the service to make it viable. I see a lot of people interested in accessing video streaming from the internet but what I haven't seen is anybody willing to pay a price that can justify providing the service. Advertiser sponsored steaming can only provide some programming, certainly not all. Netflix is now charging enough to make a small profit but further price increases when required might be a very difficult sell.

9. innocentfreak

innocentfreak Well-Known Member

Aug 25, 2001
    Florida
    If Microsoft really wants to offer TV, they need to offer a real remote first. I don't want to use a controller to watch TV. Their current IR remote is horrible and the new one will be IR also so it won't offer any benefit.

They need to offer a RF based remote and I don't know why they don't.

10. davezatz

davezatz Funkadelic

Apr 18, 2002
    Fairfax, VA
    Unless it *is* cable OTT... I wonder if they'll be licensing and reselling AT&T U-Verse under their name. Well a subset of channels/parters who are ok with this distro method.

11. rainwater

rainwater Active Member

Sep 21, 2004
    Apparently AT&T, Verizon, and TW are already on board. My guess is will just be redistribution of their online streaming so it will depend on your ISP/cable provider. And I'm sure some independent stuff too like UFC will be on board.

12. slowbiscuit

slowbiscuit FUBAR

Sep 19, 2006
    In the ATL
    You can already use an Xbox as an AT&T U-Verse STB with a $99 add-on kit (plus $55 install fee, plus you have to get Live Gold - yes, it's a ripoff).

13. slowbiscuit

slowbiscuit FUBAR

Sep 19, 2006
    In the ATL
    For Comcast, it sure looks like they're just going to offer access to the Xfinity TV online content as I posted earlier - I don't see how it works otherwise, unless Comcast has a full IPTV delivery solution that we've not heard about.

You don't get live TV, in other words, so it's not a 'real' STB. U-Verse is the only provider offering that now for the Xbox. But I could be wrong.

And then what about bandwidth caps? Using Xboxes as STBs (if they are so) will blow you through Comcast's 250GB if used on a regular basis.

14. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...

I have four or five Xbox 360 remotes that are IR based. They came with my Xbox360s back in 2005 and my HD DVD players for the Xbox 360.

While not RF based I can point the remote in almost any direction and the 360 will receive the signal from it. I never have to point it at any of my 360 slims.

15. innocentfreak

innocentfreak Well-Known Member

Aug 25, 2001
    Florida
    I wish I had that luck. I have the remote they sold separately and unlike the TiVos I find I have to point it directly at the 360. Usually I even have to point it straight on since at an angle of any type it won't work. This is the same on all three of my 360s.

For example in my bedroom I have my Premiere and a 360 above my TV about 6 feet way slightly off to the side of where my desk is. My Premiere works fine, but my 360 doesn't pick up the signal at all. I finally had to turn the 360 to face my desk every time I go to use it and then turn it back if I want to use it from my bed.