Microsoft or Google to take over Tivo?

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by Emacee, Feb 5, 2012.

1. Feb 5, 2012 #1 of 10
    Emacee

Emacee Member

Dec 15, 2000
    Philadelphia...
    Reuters reports:
    The article adds that Tivo gets most of its income these days from patent infringement law suits and licensing fees generated by phone and cable company captive DVRs - not from their own subscribers.

2. Feb 5, 2012 #2 of 10
    CuriousMark

CuriousMark Forum Denizen

Jan 13, 2005
    SoCal
    Just more speculation. MS and Google are probably the best fit of many options, but that does not mean that either is seriously interested.

The bit about infringement and royalty income is certainly true at the moment, but it is shifting toward income from MSOs for hardware, software and services.

3. Feb 5, 2012 #3 of 10
    lillevig

lillevig Cold in East Iowa

Dec 6, 2010
    Marion, Iowa
    Facebook, fresh off their IPO. Your "To Do" list will automatically be uploaded and used to customize advertising. Just another reason that I will never sign up for Facebook. ;)

4. Feb 5, 2012 #4 of 10
    dianebrat

dianebrat wait.. I did what? TCF Club

Jul 6, 2002
    boston'ish
    I just can't see MS even being remotely interested, they've already been in the market and have the core technology there from UltimateTV, they could come back at any time.
    They also have their own STB initiatives and the XBOX360, Tivo offers them nothing of value.

5. Feb 5, 2012 #5 of 10
    rasmasyean

rasmasyean New Member

Jul 28, 2011
    MS bought Web TV (MSN TV) a while back so they are interested in Media. Google has well...Google TV.

But I don't really see MS needing TV hardware as they have XBox...and WMC which they can merge more into a more "versatile XBox thingie" as hardware gets cheap...which would give them the avenue of game sales in additon to media.

And Google isn't really a hardware manufacturer. I guess there's always a time to start a new business branch, though. Who knows.

6. Feb 6, 2012 #6 of 10
    aadam101

aadam101 Tell me a joke

Jul 14, 2002
    Massachusetts
    More importantly Google has the Motorola set top box market. They probably don't see Tivo as a threat but Tivo certainly has some patents that could be of some value. A Google TV/Tivo combo could be a pretty awesome device, provided it's not designed by the company that is currently Tivo.

7. Feb 7, 2012 #7 of 10
    classicsat

classicsat Astute User

Feb 18, 2004
    Ontario Canada.
    Google also has Sage TV. That alone could make a DVR product, so long as it does not infringe with TiVo's patents, or Google makes a deal out front.

8. Feb 7, 2012 #8 of 10
    Chris Gerhard

Chris Gerhard Well-Known Member

Apr 27, 2002
    AR
    Google buying TiVo would be fine with me but I see nothing that makes me believe that will happen.

9. Feb 7, 2012 #9 of 10
    wmcbrine

wmcbrine Well-Known Mumbler

Aug 2, 2003
    A long while back. 15 years ago.

10. rasmasyean

rasmasyean New Member

Jul 28, 2011
    Yeah, well I think this goes to show that M$ saw the comming merge of information technology and analog communications a while ago. Unfortunately the American economist Greenpan has been credited for the Dot Com Bust and the Great Recession that followed and delayed this inevitability. But now every big internet company seems to be trying to get their claws into the complete digitization of mainstream media. Just wait until the 5G era and "cable TV" would prolly be a thing of the past.