Microsoft, DIRECTV Reach Deal For Xbox 360 Service

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by lee espinoza, Jan 10, 2006.

1. lee espinoza

lee espinoza some guy

Aug 21, 2002
    San Antonio,TX

Advertisements

DIRECTV Inc., the nation’s leading digital television service provider, and Microsoft Corp., the worldwide leader in software, services and solutions, have formed an alliance to develop new ways to expand the reach of digital entertainment.

Under the agreement, announced today at the 2006 International Consumer Electronics Show (CES) in Las Vegas, DIRECTV and Microsoft will work together to enable the flow of digital content among Windows®-based PCs, DIRECTV’s set-top boxes, PlaysForSure™-compatible devices and the Xbox 360™ video game and entertainment system, which will allow customers to experience DIRECTV programming and digital content stored on their Windows-based PCs in a variety of new ways.
    “This agreement is a significant milestone for consumers and content owners, since it will greatly extend the reach and flexibility of digital entertainment in the home,” said Steve Ballmer, chief executive officer of Microsoft. “By integrating our Windows Media® platform technologies with the DIRECTV service, we have created a pipeline for an incredible variety of premium digital entertainment to move seamlessly and securely throughout the home to anywhere a DIRECTV customer wants to enjoy it.”

“DIRECTV is committed to delivering the best television experience available, and through our new alliance with Microsoft, we will extend that experience in a way that will allow us to deliver our programming wherever and whenever our customers want it,” said Chase Carey, president and CEO of DIRECTV. “Through this agreement, both companies will be able to expand the reach of digital content and work together to create a variety of exciting new ways for our customers to enjoy the DIRECTV experience as well as the digital content stored on their Windows-based PCs.”

DIRECTV will adopt Microsoft® Windows Media platform technologies to enable connectivity to and from DIRECTV set-top boxes, Windows-based PCs, PlaysForSure-compatible devices and the Xbox 360 system. The connectivity will provide the ability to do the following:

•
    Transfer DIRECTV content to be enjoyed on a Windows-based PC or directly via a USB port connected to a PlaysForSure-compatible device

•
    Access the music, video and pictures stored on a Windows-based PC using a DIRECTV set-top box

•
    Extend the DIRECTV experience to the Xbox 360 system

As a cornerstone of this agreement, Microsoft and DIRECTV will also work to align the best-of-breed digital entertainment experience offered through Windows Media Center Edition with the rich TV experience offered through DIRECTV. DIRECTV customers will be able to use a Windows Media Center-based PC as a DIRECTV receiver to create an all-in-one digital entertainment environment, supporting both national and local standard-definition and high-definition services.

About DIRECTV, Inc.

DIRECTV, Inc. is the nation’s leading digital television service provider with more than 15 million customers. DIRECTV and the Cyclone Design logo are registered trademarks of DIRECTV, Inc. DIRECTV (NYSE: DTV) is a world-leading provider of digital multichannel television entertainment. DIRECTV is approximately 34 percent owned by News Corporation.

About Microsoft

Founded in 1975, Microsoft (Nasdaq “MSFT”) is the worldwide leader in software, services and solutions that help people and businesses realize their full potential.

Microsoft, Windows, PlaysForSure, Xbox 360 and Windows Media are either registered trademarks or trademarks of Microsoft Corp. in the United States and/or other countries.

http://www.xboxcircle.com/portal/content/view/947/55/

2. Rob00GT

Rob00GT This space for rent.

Mar 10, 2003
    D/FW...
    All I can say is when a PCI card with DirecTV tuner hits the market I'll buy one, unless the it's overpriced to the point of silliness.

Being able to use a PC as a DirecTV receiver means never again having to worry about storage limits. I give it one month on the market until a hack is available to disable whatever digital rights management crap they put in it, then let the DVD archiving begin!

3. ebonovic

ebonovic has gone his way...

Jul 24, 2001
    Tinley...
    I just wish they would give some dates in these press-releases.

4. nobodeuno

nobodeuno New Member

Dec 11, 2004
    Chapel Hill, NC
    I can't wait for this to be available...directtv integration with XBOX and Home Media Center would be great. I'm surprised DTV is doing this...I wonder how they will get the $6 DVR charge if we aren't using one of their devices? Do you think they will make a card reader for the pc? Or what? So many questions...

Here is another article:
    http://news.teamxbox.com/xbox/10013/DIRECTV-and-Microsoft-Team-Up/

5. Lee L

Lee L Got Basenji?

Oct 1, 2003
    Morrisville, NC

Advertisements

Of course, my 360 is in my main system with my HR10-250 and where any future HD DVR would be. Now, if the 360 can work as a client for a server type system that would be cool, but I just don;t think the fuctionality will be at that level.

6. ebonovic

Jul 24, 2001
    Tinley...

It is not so much the XBOX360 part that's got me smiling, it is the idea that maybe I could have an MCE that has access to all the major signals, and I could USE either the XBOX360 or the DirecTV DVRs as extenders to that core central server...

Very simple.... If you this "PC Card", then there is an extra fee tied to it...
    They will minimally need a PC Card (Be it a PCI/BUS or External) tuner for DirecTV...

7. Hodaka

Hodaka New Member

Mar 12, 2005
    Rolla, MO
    why do I think this will only end up working with the new DVRs?

8. ebonovic

Jul 24, 2001
    Tinley...
    Ahhh... You are one wise cookie....

9. tbeckner

tbeckner TiVo Fan

Oct 26, 2001
    Bend, OR, USA
    Earl,

This press release was released many days ago and is just a recap of the earlier press releases. Nothing real new here, but I have a feeling that the reason for firm dates, is because they just came to some gentleman’s agreement right before CES 2006, and nothing is firm at this time, and likely will not become firm for many months. I still believe that the tuner hardware and software (especially in a non-OEM version) will not be available until sometime after next years CES and many months after the final RTM of Vista. So, like I said before it is exciting, but I wouldn’t get excited about it for another year to a year and a half (18 months) or more.

10. Kanyon71

Kanyon71 New Member

Feb 13, 2003
    Tampa Fl
    Because if they added it to TiVo they would have to keep paying them?

11. SpacemanSpiff

SpacemanSpiff New Member

Jan 30, 2004
    What I don't get, and maybe someone can clarify things for me. Is that previous statements by people on this board was that D* didn't activate HMO/MRV because they feared the support problem with CSR's trying to explain to people how to configure and use it.

I can see integrating PC's, 360's and other receivers into your network as being exponentially more difficult to support by the current crop of CSR's

12. ebonovic

Jul 24, 2001
    Tinley...

Oh I know... It is just nice to see with all the legal mumbo-jumbo on it.... It moves from more of an "interpretation" of a press-conference to more "solid" information when it finally get's to the "official" release.

Hopefully we are only months away (6 or so) from the DVRs being able to talk to current MCE systems, but I know we are a long way's off from the PC Tuner or really advanced features.

Other press releases did say those new portable devices woudl be released in the next few monhts, so I would think DirecTV2Go shouldn't be too far behind those. Now what features are there... different story.

13. ebonovic

Jul 24, 2001
    Tinley...

One of the main reasons we "thought" DirecTV wasn't turning on the HMO/MRV stuff was just that... Support of the home networks.

Which was often debunked by saying... well partner up with Linksys or just put a disclaimer that you are on your own for the networking.....

DirecTV has yet to ever formally say why they don't support the MRV/HOM veatures.

I could almost guarantee that the greater majority of the calls on this one are going to be redirected to the Microsoft MCE People, rather then the DirecTV people.

14. tbeckner

tbeckner TiVo Fan

Oct 26, 2001
    Bend, OR, USA
    Actually I beleive you will find that DirecTV2Go is actually the NDS XTV2Go, which is Windows CE devices only and can be found at the bottom of this page:

XTV2Go

And the PC tuner will be HD capabale so it will not be released until versions of Vista which contain the MCE code are RTM'd very late this year or early next year, and then the tuner will likely be an OEM device like the CableCard tuners are going to be for months after release.

15. tbeckner

tbeckner TiVo Fan

Oct 26, 2001
    Bend, OR, USA
    But you might understand that even the average DVR user is not going to spend 2G's for a Vista MCE device and software and another 300 to 400 for an XBOX 360 for each TV. Even the name brand MCE clients/extenders cost a minimum of 250 and that was for SD content.

No the people who are going to get involved with Vista and MCE and a powerful box to run the junk are not going to be your average JOE BEER GUY.

It's going to be people like Earl and I (with 10 and 30+ years of IT experience), although there will be a COUPLE of your AVERAGE JOE BEER GUYS that might have the funds to attempt to buy into it.

And I always said that the reason that DirecTV did not release HMO/MRV for the DirecTiVos was not because of support issues, it was because of other issues unrelated to support, some of them internal and related to Murdoch and his own issues.

16. tbeckner

tbeckner TiVo Fan

Oct 26, 2001
    Bend, OR, USA
    I agree completely. But then again, the average guy on the street is unlikely to spend 2G's for a Vista MCE box and related equipment. Let's face it, this is a TOY situation, at least on release.

17. Justin Thyme

Justin Thyme Contra sceleris

Mar 29, 2005
    Microsoft's plan is to provide the software infrastructure to interact with any digital device in the home. The more sophisticated support is remoting the UI of any other box.

Just guesswork at this point but my guess is that what you can do is use an Xbox360 to remote the R15. The R15 can decline access if you have not paid your fee for Xbox access. How many users could the R15 support in this mode? For playing video files- probably many. For doing menu interaction- the (*ahem*) DirecTv interaction "experience"? then I'd be surprised if it is more than one. But for that- they can write code on the Xbox side to Brand the UI as they did for Windows Media portables playing DirecTv content. They REALLY like this, because it turns Carriers into huge ISVs writing code for Microsoft platforms in the home.

Xbox, an MCE extendor, or any other Box (powered of course by Microsloth's software) could in principle do this for any device- with a network port and the necessary remoting software.

Nothing too surprizing here, except for the mention that the DirecTv box would play video from the Xbox. I will be surprized if DirecTv allows you to play a DivX from Google on their box, since that would compete with their bread and butter. But maybe it will allow you to play a DVD or to watch the wonderous achievements in the virtual world that junior has achieved. Maybe record it on the DVR.

Not an exclusive deal with DirecTv. Expect it on competitor boxes. And you can bet playstation will try and do the same thing, but to match, they will have to work through all the security problems. Personally, I don't think their software guys have the pull to wake up management to the MS networked OS threat, but who knows.

"Competitor boxes" includes both from other carriers, as well as any other device that puts up some digital stuff on a screen. You know- how hard is it to read a screen buffer and transmit it over IP? How hard is it to take input commands and play them in where you normally read IR USer commands? It is not a hugely complicated or expensive feature to add to a HD-DVD player, a ReplayTv, a Tivo, baby/security monitors- whatever device that has a 5 buck light sensitive CCD chip in it, or can generate html UI.

Maybe resistance is futile, judging from Apple's "asleep at the wheel" no-show-in-the-home announcements for the home yesterday. Observing the MS guys operate is about as enjoyable as watching human limbs get fed into a chipper shreadder. Maybe Jobs looked at the tasks and decided not to be one of the limbs this time around.

18. Steveknj

Steveknj Lost in New Joisey TCF Club

Mar 10, 2003
    New Jersey
    At least we now know what the USB port on our DVRs are for. It should be interesting to see how they implement this. I have been contemplating buying a new PC (mine is an almost 4 year old Dell XP machine P4 1.6Ghz, of course upgraded ram and periferals), but now I will definitely wait until later this year after Vista is released since the rumor is that MCE will be incorporated into the OS.

19. tbeckner

tbeckner TiVo Fan

Oct 26, 2001
    Bend, OR, USA
    It might have been expanded since last September, but at last count there are seven different versions of Vista (two of which will include MCE functionality). The two editions should be Vista Home Premium Edition and Vista Ultimate Edition. The three business editions, Small Business, Professional, and Enterprise will unlikley not contain any MCE code. What will most likely be required of any MCE capable box is more RAM, faster processor, and a DirectX 9.0 capable video graphics card. And of course if you want the MCE box to act like a DVR or TV, a CableCard (like the ATI OCUR) or DirecTV tuner, but those will not likey be released for retail purchases until sometime after the 1st or 2nd quarter of 2007.

Additional Note:

I appears that you can buy any version of Vista and install it and that install will contain all of the code that exists in all of the versions, but the CD/PRODUCT KEY will only unlock the code/functions that should exist for that version. That way Microsoft will only have to maintain one code base.

So, what is really interesting, is that after installation of Vista, let say Vista Home Basic Edition, you could purchase the key for Vista Home Premium Edition as an upgrade and just enter the new upgrade CD/PRODUCT KEY and activate the MCE functions. Now that is very interesting, and is something I wish they would have done with the Windows XP Editions.

Sorry, even though I am a MIcrosoft Partner, I haven't been paying much attention to Vista, but I will need to in the next couple of months, because my clients will be installing it soon after it is released on new machines, so I will have to setup a new machine to install the Beta this next month.

20. Kanyon71

Kanyon71 New Member

Feb 13, 2003
    Tampa Fl
    Actually I thouhgt that with XP MCE if you didn't have the correct key it would only install the XP portion of it? Its been a while since I did an install of it but I thought thats what happened when I didn't give it the correct key the first time (I had XP sitting there also). Though I could be mistaken as I was installing a ton of machines that day.