MGM officially has shelved all Stargate productions

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by gastrof, Apr 25, 2011.

1. gastrof

gastrof Hubcaps r in fashion

Oct 31, 2003
    Potato and pen.
    Got this from www.gateworld.net and www.tvshowboards.com.

No on screen wrap up of Stargate Universe of any kind, not even a direct to DVD movie. SGU now joins SG1 and ATLANTIS in the "nothing new will be made" club.

I'm getting tired of getting attached to ongoing story TV shows that then get cancelled without any conclusion to the story. What is this, the 1960s?

TV execs are getting short sighted and this is gonna come back to bite them. They're alienating their audiences and people are getting gunshy.

I know MGM didn't cancel the show, they're just reacting to the current situation (including MGM's own financial state), but SyFy/NBC did.

In the long run, if this type of thing keeps happening, television is gonna pay dearly for it. People will give up on getting attached.

2. jschuur

jschuur TV-holic, improving

Nov 27, 2002
    London, UK
    Hard to complain about 352 episodes of the Stargate franchise and 3 movies.

3. gastrof

Oct 31, 2003
    Potato and pen.
    What?!?

It isn't hard to complain when it all ends on a cliffhanger!

4. busyba

busyba The Funcooker

Feb 5, 2003
    NYC
    This type of thing is new?

5. wmcbrine

wmcbrine Well-Known Mumbler

Aug 2, 2003
    +1

It was a great run, second only to Trek and Dr. Who. :up:

6. gastrof

Oct 31, 2003
    Potato and pen.
    As mentioned, maybe back in the 60s, but in more recent times they seem to have been more with it, and shows with ongoing storylines have been given decent sendoffs. More recently, tho', it's like the old "Who cares about the audience?" attitude is resurfacing.

Trek's been rebooted, and after having more or less a cliffhanger ending, Who returned 15 years later.

The Stargate universe, at this point, is ending on a cliffhanger. :(

7. Sirius Black

Sirius Black Grey Warden Reject

Dec 26, 2001
    A City by...
    The difference is StarGate: Universe deserves to be cancelled. 90% of the conflict, problems, and mostly the entire situation was due to the characters themselves being incredibly flawed humans with issues that apparently were insurmountable.

At least with Atlantis/SG1 there was a healthy mix of characters you could respect and understand along with those whose motives were less than honorable.

8. cheesesteak

cheesesteak Meh. TCF Club

Jul 24, 2003
    15 mins...
    I've watched every episode and every movie of the Stargate franchises. Can't blame me.

9. windracer

windracer joined the 10k club

Jan 3, 2003
    St. Pete, FL
    Time to bury the gate for the last time ... :(

10. busyba

busyba The Funcooker

Feb 5, 2003
    NYC
    That would make it third then, no? :p

11. danterner

danterner Not it!

Mar 4, 2005
    Greenacres, FL
    Fourth, if you include the +1 :p

12. sieglinde

sieglinde Active Member

Aug 11, 2002
    Sebastopol, CA
    I don't know if it is ending in a cliff hanger. While Destiny goes off into whereever, you could assme that the Stargate Program was still going on earth.

13. gchance

gchance 4 8 15 16 23 42

Dec 6, 2002
    Olivehurst, CA
    If the Stargate program is cancelled, what happens to Teal'c? Poor guy will have to get a job at Starbucks.

Greg

14. jschuur

jschuur TV-holic, improving

Nov 27, 2002
    London, UK
    That would be awesome:

"I'll have grande, triple shot, non fat latte."

"Indeed." *polite smile* *slight bow*

15. Malcontent

Malcontent Ancient Astronaut Theorist

Sep 4, 2004
    Stargate Origins / 2017 / MGM Streaming Only

'Stargate' revival will launch a new MGM streaming service

16. BrettStah

BrettStah Well-Known Member TCF Club

Nov 12, 2000
    San Antonio
    I'm intrigued by the show, but don't want yet another streaming service to deal with.

dfreybur likes this.
  17. dswallow

dswallow Save the ModeratŠ¾r TCF Club

Dec 3, 2000
    Long...
    Conceptually, a model where I added this service to an existing streaming platform I would consider -- just like adding HBO/Showtime to Amazon Prime or Hulu, for instance. I don't want another separate app, another user interface, another wait-for-app-X-on-platform-Y ordeal, et. al.

dfreybur, kaszeta and wmcbrine like this.
  18. Rob Helmerichs

Rob Helmerichs I am Groot! TCF Club

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    Peter000 likes this.
  19. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    How can they do a prequel? They didn't get the stargate to do anything until Daniel Jackson figured out the dial protocol associated with the symbols. Prior to that all they could do was try to dial it and it would fail. Seems like a pretty boring series to me.

I think they should just redo the whole story over from the beginning. The original show is 20 years old now, they could reboot it with a new cast and no one would mind. Or they could do another spinoff like Atlantis, that was fun. The most recent one where they were all stuck on that ship was boring though. To much doom and gloom all the time.

20. Allanon

Allanon Active Member

Nov 2, 2005
    Don't like that it will only be 10 minute episodes. Also when I heard "Origins" I envisioned a series about the creators of the Stargates (Alterans). Was disappointed to hear it was going to focus on the daughter of the person that found the Stargate on Earth and her adventures that lead her to become a Stargate expert.

Source

Last edited: Jul 21, 2017