Method to stop TIVO Central from timing out and diplaying live TV?

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by wwelker, Feb 2, 2016.

1. Feb 2, 2016 #1 of 19
    wwelker

wwelker New Member

Feb 2, 2016
    I searched for this issue, so please forgive me if I missed a posted answer. My wife and I NEVER watch live TV, but when the TIVO (TIVO Roamio OTA) is left on TIVO Central, after some time period, it changes to live TV. I would like to stop that. Is there any setting I can affect to stop that?

Also, when I select "Guide", a live TV window displays in the upper right corner of the screen. I wish to disable that too. Any way? (This is not affected by the "Video Window" setting in the ‘Settings & Messages,’ then ‘Settings,’ then ‘Displays’ menus. This live TV sub-window always plays when "Guide" is selected, and I wish to disable it.

2. Feb 2, 2016 #2 of 19
    tatergator1

tatergator1 Well-Known Member

Mar 27, 2008
    Columbus, Ohio
    In short, no and no.

3. Feb 2, 2016 #3 of 19
    gweempose

gweempose Well-Known Member

Mar 23, 2003
    Northbrook, IL
    Unfortunately, about the only thing you can do is hit pause every time you pull up the guide. This won't prevent the window from appearing, but it will at least shield you from potential spoilers.

4. Feb 2, 2016 #4 of 19
    GoodSpike

GoodSpike Active Member

Dec 17, 2001
    Seattle, WA
    You apparently didn't search hard enough because I've bitched about this topic a lot! Or maybe I haven't bitched enough. :D

It's very annoying and I really don't understand at all what Tivo is thinking.

5. Feb 2, 2016 #5 of 19
    Thom

Thom Unemployed and loving it !

Jun 5, 2000
    Southern Calif.
    They're thinking they want to prevent screen burn on plasma TVs. Live TV usually has enough image variety so that the plasma screen pixels wear evenly.

6. Feb 2, 2016 #6 of 19
    CinciDVR

CinciDVR Contentious Member

May 24, 2014
    Cincinnati, OH
    You could throw money at the problem and buy a mini. The mini does not show a Live TV sub-window while in Tivo Central, nor does it timeout of Tivo Central and go to live tv.

7. Feb 2, 2016 #7 of 19
    wwelker

wwelker New Member

Feb 2, 2016
    Well, I knew I would miff someone since I didn't find prior posts. It's a matter of what search terms does one use? So, again, I apologize for not finding any prior posts of the subject. Anyway, I'm glad others have recognized this problem. And in my book, it is a problem. As I said, my wife and I NEVER watch live TV, and when I set the Tivo on "Tivo Central" I'd like to come back later, turn on the TV and find it still on "Tivo Central". Instead, it's playing live TV. And when I select "Guide", I don't need it to display a live TV window in the corner! I will get used to the workaround - hitting pause - but I'd like to simply disable the live TV. I will seek to locate where I can leave a "feature request".

8. Feb 2, 2016 #8 of 19
    JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
  9. Feb 2, 2016 #9 of 19
    GoodSpike

GoodSpike Active Member

Dec 17, 2001
    Seattle, WA
    Except that in the channel guide it's only a small portion of the top right screen.

I think Tivo just wants to annoy their customers. :(

10. GoodSpike

GoodSpike Active Member

Dec 17, 2001
    Seattle, WA
    Not miffed. Just having fun with the way you worded your first post.

11. GoodSpike

GoodSpike Active Member

Dec 17, 2001
    Seattle, WA
  12. unitron

unitron Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    Assuming you have things set up so that you turn the TV power on and off with your TiVo remote, always hit the "TiVo" button on the TiVo remote before hitting the TV power button on the TiVo remote.

It doesn't matter what screen the TiVo is sending out before you turn on the TV, so just change that first, then turn the TV on.

Or have the butler do it for you.

Short of spending 'leventy zillion $$$$ paying someone to reverse engineer the TiVo software (a Terms and Conditions violation, no doubt) and to rewrite the part that does the screensaver thing, that's the best solution you're going to find, I suspect.

13. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    To have the TV power on with nothing to see or hear, just select an invalid channel manually before turning the TV off. No display, no noise, very dark and quiet.

14. TonyD79

TonyD79 Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2002
    Columbia, MD
    You can turn off the video window in the corner under settings > user preferences.

15. jrtroo

jrtroo Chill- its just TV

Feb 4, 2008
    Chicagoland
    Not on the guide, however. That is because they built the guide based upon the prior version, which was an overlay onto the program, instead of making it a user selection.

Also, much easier to get rid of the window using slow. I toggle it on/off all the time with this.

16. GoodSpike

GoodSpike Active Member

Dec 17, 2001
    Seattle, WA
    That doesn't stop it from appearing in the guide.

Also, sometimes my Bolt loses the setting, and it will be present even with the setting to off. I have to toggle the setting to get it to go away.

To continue my bitching on this topic, I really have a hard time understanding what Tivo is thinking, bombarding its customers with live TV. I don't watch live TV because I own a Tivo. Why would I want to have any live TV show up without my asking for it? As I said before, Tivo programmers are like GPS programmers--neither have apparently used their respective products.

17. TonyD79

TonyD79 Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2002
    Columbia, MD
    The mentality hasn't changed for years. Screen savers are so 10 years ago. Going to live tv is a method of screen saving.

18. Teeps

Teeps Well-Known Member

Aug 16, 2001
    Torrance,Cal...
    standby mode?

19. unitron

unitron Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    Unless it's on a channel with a logo "bug" onscreen much of the time.

I used to spin karaoke in a place many years ago and they left a big screen on CNN overnights to provide some light for the cops to see in by and to make would-be burglars think the owner and his bullet hurling device were sitting there watching the news.

In the bottom right hand corner the CNN logo was visible no matter what channel (or karaoke DVD player output) was on the screen.