1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

MetaGenerator Version 3 - RPC Error

Discussion in 'TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo' started by PSU_Sudzi, Nov 14, 2017 at 1:34 PM.

1. PSU_Sudzi

PSU_Sudzi Active Member

Jun 4, 2015
    Philly suburbs
    When I run this program and attempt to get the ProgramID I see an RPC error to check my TiVo credentials which I confirmed are correct. Does anyone know if there is an issue with TiVo denying this lookup?

2. reneg

reneg Active Member

Jun 19, 2002
    PSU_Sudzi likes this.
  3. dlfl

dlfl Cranky old novice

Jul 6, 2006
    Dayton OH
    What TiVo model and is it upgraded to Hydra? I've seen some discussion that there might be security-certificate problems accessing some RPC functions with Hydra but I'm confused as to what impact this will have on MG3. I haven't updated my TiVo to Hydra and (last time I checked) there was no problem. I don't plan go to Hydra anytime soon so can't test with it.

4. PSU_Sudzi

PSU_Sudzi Active Member

Jun 4, 2015
    Philly suburbs
    It’s a Roamio Plus and its on 20.7.4. I used MG375 earlier this year and didn’t receive any errors when trying to grab the programID. I upgraded today to your latest version today and still received the same error. Have you tried using it today to test of there is an issue?

5. dlfl

dlfl Cranky old novice

Jul 6, 2006
    Dayton OH
    I just tested and it was OK. You didn't answer as to whether you're using the Hydra (Gen4) UI. I assume not since it requires action from you to get the update and you probably would remember doing that.

6. PSU_Sudzi

PSU_Sudzi Active Member

Jun 4, 2015
    Philly suburbs
    Sorry I thought writing 20.7.4 would clarify that I am on gen3 but maybe Hydra has the same release number too. What’s interesting is that I did upgrade and rolled back so I am wondering if that is causing the issue, maybe my TSN is still listed on Hydra in some RPC calls.

7. dlfl

dlfl Cranky old novice

Jul 6, 2006
    Dayton OH
    Sorry, I guess 20.7.4 should tell me it's not Hydra -- although, like you, I'm not sure. Did you lose your recordings when you reverted back from Hydra? Wouldn't surprise me if your RPC issue was a result of the update/revert. Actually there's not much about TiVo software behavior that would surprise me! :)

PSU_Sudzi likes this.
  8. HerronScott

HerronScott Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2002
    Staunton, VA
    Yes, 20.7.4 is not Hydra (which is 21.7.2). I just used Metagenerator 3.77 earlier this week and it worked fine with my Roamio Pro which is still on 20.7.4 as well and I just checked it again and no problems pulling programId's/SeriesId's via RPC.

Scott

PSU_Sudzi likes this.
  9. PSU_Sudzi

PSU_Sudzi Active Member

Jun 4, 2015
    Philly suburbs
    I reset my TiVo password and re-entered it into MG3 and now I get a different error: "RPC returned nothing". Tried testing this with a recent movie (Bad Moms) to make sure it wasn't an issue of the programID not existing for this particular older movie (House of Long Shadows) and like in that case, it pulls up all of the movie info aside from the programID. My search for Bad Moms also pulled up Bad Mom's Christmas so I decided to test that and it found the programID so I can confirm it does work just that some movies don't have a programID, very frustrating. Thanks guys for your feedback.

10. HerronScott

HerronScott Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2002
    Staunton, VA
    I've only used it for TV shows and not for movies so on the Movie search does it automatically use RPC?

I got the following for Bad Mom's - MV0355555907-0355555908 and the following for House of the Long Shaddows - MV0000154363-0000037233.

Scott

PSU_Sudzi likes this.
  11. dlfl

dlfl Cranky old novice

Jul 6, 2006
    Dayton OH
    Yes, if you have enabled it and configured properly, just as for TV shows.

PSU_Sudzi likes this.
  12. PSU_Sudzi

PSU_Sudzi Active Member

Jun 4, 2015
    Philly suburbs
    Based on what you guys wrote, it would seem to me it should work for me, see images below.

Attached Files:

13. dlfl

dlfl Cranky old novice

Jul 6, 2006
    Dayton OH
    I just tested all three and got programId's for all. The two that @HerronScott reported in an earlier post were matched.

It's working for you. But unfortunately RPC results can succeed or fail for different users, for reasons that are obscure to me, although I've seen cases where it depends on whether the video is currently in your program guide. RPC is a TiVo-controlled black box. The person who understands it best is @moyekj (Kevin Moye) the author of kmttg:
    New program for 1 step TTG downloads, decryption, encoding - kmttg
    Kevin helped me get the RPC code in MG3 going but I believe even he considers RPC to be a can of worms.

Are these three movies in your program guide?

Not that it should make any difference, but is your RPC configured to use an existing Python installation, or are you using rpcSearch125.exe?

Last edited: Nov 15, 2017 at 10:34 AM
    PSU_Sudzi likes this.
  14. dlfl

dlfl Cranky old novice

Jul 6, 2006
    Dayton OH
    If you search your TiVo for "House of the Long Shadows", does it find it and what sources are shown for it? On my TiVo it shows only Amazon as a source. Is that what you get? This may depend on whether you have Amazon Video activated (enabled? whatever) on your TiVo.

I notice a search for "Bad Moms" shows Amazon and Vudu as sources.

For "A Bad Moms Christmas" all search finds is You Tube trailers.

PSU_Sudzi likes this.
  15. PSU_Sudzi

PSU_Sudzi Active Member

Jun 4, 2015
    Philly suburbs
    Both Bad Moms and Bad Moms Xmas are in my guide data but only BMX returns the programID in MG3; Long Shadows is missing from both guide and programID in search. It looks like I am using an existing python installation for the RPC calls based on the MG3 settings.

I guess will just have to chalk this up to one of those things that doesn't make much sense, thanks for your help in trying to troubleshoot this.

Edit: I don't have Amazon Video enabled aside from Prime which is probably why Long Shadows is missing from my guide data, will turn it on and check. But it still doesn't explain the Bad Moms issue.

Edit2: Looks like Long Shadows is in my guide data even without Amazon Video enabled, I had omitted "the" from the title and couldn't find it by typing "house of long shadows" only.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2017 at 9:12 PM
  16. reneg

reneg Active Member

Jun 19, 2002
    I just tried all three of those movies and got programIds for all of them too. They did seem to take a long a while to return results. I've got my MetaGenerator timeout set for 30 seconds.

PSU_Sudzi likes this.
  17. PSU_Sudzi

PSU_Sudzi Active Member

Jun 4, 2015
    Philly suburbs
    I upped mine to 120 seconds to see if that made a difference and it didn't as far as I could tell.

18. dlfl

dlfl Cranky old novice

Jul 6, 2006
    Dayton OH
    Timeout setting is another possible issue although MG3 will override that setting for Movies with a minimum of 60 seconds. In some testing just now I modified the code to force a timeout of 5 seconds and it **still** succeeds. But results obviously can depend on the latency of your network connection.

Kind of strange that these RPC searches were taking a lot longer earlier this morning. I tried different movie titles just to eliminate the possibility that prior results were being cached somewhere.

PSU_Sudzi likes this.
  19. dlfl

dlfl Cranky old novice

Jul 6, 2006
    Dayton OH
    If you have kmttg installed, see if it can get the programId's.

PSU_Sudzi likes this.
  20. PSU_Sudzi

PSU_Sudzi Active Member

Jun 4, 2015
    Philly suburbs
    kmttg returns programID for all 3 movies after a search and display data click so its definitely there in my guide data, just won't come through on MG3.