Metacritic Ratings

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by JACKASTOR, May 11, 2019.

1. JACKASTOR

JACKASTOR Active Member

May 26, 2011
    ONTARIO,...
    has anyone noticed little numbers beside the movies? Apparently it’s similar to Thurz ratings but for movies. I kinda like my thumbs up or down on what I like. Which was what the thumbs up was all about so TiVo could learn to suggest things I liked.. any way those seem long gone now. Any one else?

2. exdishguy

exdishguy Active Member

Apr 30, 2004
    Good lord, I hope those Thurz ratings aren't the replacement for thumbs up/down. I think the ratings number is completely useless.

eman926 and JACKASTOR like this.
  3. JACKASTOR

JACKASTOR Active Member

May 26, 2011
    ONTARIO,...
    Agreed. I like a movie based on what I like not someone’s else’s rating.

eman926 likes this.
  4. CloudAtlas

CloudAtlas Bryan TCF Club

Oct 29, 2013
    New York, NY
    The Metacritic ratings have nothing to do with thumbs up/down. “Metacritic is a website that aggregates reviews of media products: films and TV shows.. For each product, the scores from each review are averaged (a weighted average).”

The Metacritic ratings are similar to Rotten Tomato ratings. If anything it supplements star ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ 1/2 ratings. Useful when you see a movie in the Guide which you’ve never seen and wonder if the movie is worth watching? Metacritic would warn you away from Howard the Duck (1986), From Justin to Kelly (2003) and Sex Lives of the Potato Men (2004).

470AC008-717B-42B8-AB39-BB4B1659A34E.jpeg

Mikeguy, JACKASTOR and wizwor like this.
  5. exdishguy

exdishguy Active Member

Apr 30, 2004
    But if thumbs up/down/recommendations worked the way its supposed to I wouldn't need to rely on what others think of "Justin to Kelly." If I gave it three thumbs up (and how could I not?) the Tivo would personalize my recommendations to lots more movies as exceptional as this fine piece of art.

Now excuse me while I go Google "whats a Justin to Kelly?"

eman926, pj1983 and JACKASTOR like this.
  6. Cheezmo

Cheezmo Active Member

Apr 26, 2004
    Plano, TX
    Since suggestions no longer records movies, it is irrelevant.

7. exdishguy

exdishguy Active Member

Apr 30, 2004
    Seriously? Yea, we know. We're saying we liked recommendations when it was based on our direct feedback (via thumbs up/down) vs. the group-think approach now whereby content is weighted based on public opinions only.

JACKASTOR likes this.
  8. trip1eX

trip1eX Well-Known Member

Apr 2, 2005
    well it's still mostly public opinion isn't it? i figure they look at what you liked and then find others who liked the same thing. Next they find what other shows those people liked and then, of those, choose the ones with the most likes to suggest to you.

It's either that or a blind 'here's the same genre, same actors, same director' stuff. Right?

I guess my experience is hit and miss with the whole hidden algorithm recommendation stuff. It's not any better than rotten tomatoes or something. Just another way to find stuff.

Last edited: May 17, 2019
  9. bradleys

bradleys It'll be fine....

Oct 31, 2007
    That is not what suggestions are based on. Tivo uses your actual viewing metrics to create your suggestions as opposed to thumbs.

Funny, I remember testing the algorithm years ago. I would get a list of suggested shows and have to rate them 1 to 10.

I remember I was still using a blackberry at the time!

lol

JACKASTOR likes this.
  10. exdishguy

exdishguy Active Member

Apr 30, 2004
    Ahh...that is why recommendations were never very good recommendations to me. :)

There could have been so many ways to improve and expand the usage of those thumb buttons to create and cull more personalized content recommendations and Tivo just squandered it. I also never could understand why I couldn't use thumbs up/down on the What to Watch recommendations as I peruse the shows. I digress...