Message "Unable to record episode" on OTA Roamio

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by TeamPace, Nov 28, 2017.

1. TeamPace

TeamPace Active Member

Oct 22, 2013
    Ohio
    I have a base Roamio model that I use exclusively for OTA. I have upgraded to Hydra. Today while watching an episode of "Psych" on ION (a subchannel in our market) I pressed the record button. It gave me a message in the top left corner of the screen saying "Unable to record episode" or something close to that. There was an option to get more information which stated that due to the copyright holder that TiVo could not record this episode. I've never before experienced this with any TiVo I have owned over the past 8 years. Has anyone else experience this with OTA broadcasts? Afterwards I did set up a OnePass for "Psych" which it allowed me to do. I'll have to see if I have any issues with the OnePass being able to record.

2. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay TCF Club

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    About the only thing I can think of is that all 4 tuners are being used in recording shows at the time, or 3 tuners and the one you are watching on. With the latter, you should be able to record.

3. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    In Diagnostics, check the CCI byte for that channel. The station may have screwed up the copy protection. Or just wait to see if the 1P works.

4. ClearToLand

ClearToLand Old !*#$% Tinkerer!

Jul 9, 2001
    Central Jersey
    I saw @sfhub mention this CCI byte in another thread recently - I believe the recording was automatically being deleted minutes after it began recording.

Have you ever seen the CCI byte set in Diagnostics?

5. JoeKustra

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    No. My cable feed doesn't even copy protect premium channels.

6. TeamPace

TeamPace Active Member

Oct 22, 2013
    Ohio
    Nothing was recording at the time nor were any Mini's in use. When I clicked on the additional information it specifically said it couldn't record due to copyright issues.

I'm not really familiar with the CCI byte info but suppose I could find it. However the next program on the same channel after "Psych" would allow me to record it. So the message was specific to the program.

7. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay TCF Club

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    I find it hard to believe that CCI protection is applied when OTA never protects that way.

8. TeamPace

TeamPace Active Member

Oct 22, 2013
    Ohio
    I've used TiVo for OTA 8 years now and I've never had that message before. Nor have I ever seen it on this 4yr old Roamio before. I'm wondering if it has to do with Hydra as I just upgraded about a week ago.

9. ClearToLand

Jul 9, 2001
    Central Jersey
    You're only the second person that I've seen mention the CCI byte and I've never been denied the opportunity to record a show due to copyright restrictions. I'll keep reading...

I *AM* denied the opportunity to transfer HBO, Cinemax and FX shows so I'm gradually watching the movies that I collected on 'Free Preview Weekends'.

I have this 'Bright Idea' for my newly-arriving Roamio OTA w/ Gen4 - after an initial 'Test Everything Out' period, I'm going to revert to Gen3, copy the contents from my current 'Overflow Roamio #1' (500GB & Full) to the new one and then revert back to Gen4 to watch the shows during lull periods. That will finally allow me to upgrade the HDD in the source Roamio to 3TB via the MFS Reformatter 'Align Clusters on a Empty HDD' method. I'll also add the new cablecard and move the 1Ps over.

Then, I can try the MFS Tools 'Clone & Expand Existing HDD' method on my first unit - Roamio Basic.

I read that you're planning an upgrade this coming Friday - good luck! With all the preparation (i.e. WD Diagnostics) done months ago, I'm planning each method outlined above should be able to complete in one day (Saturdays are dead in my 1P lineup).

10. ClearToLand

Jul 9, 2001
    Central Jersey
    I never heard about it before @sfhub mentioned it in the other thread. I wonder if that's where @JoeKustra picked up on the idea.

Hopefully, by mentioning his TCF UserID with the '@', @sfhub will get an 'Alert' and come here to comment further...

11. JoeKustra

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    When my feed has those weekends, two things happen. First, I am reminded why I don't pay for premium channels. Second, they come out as clear QAM. So not just no copy protection, they're really in the clear. I usually record movies I haven't seen, copy them to my Premiere, then bring them back when we have dry spells (like the next two or three weeks).
    Friday, 1 Dec:
    Change basic Roamio back to 1TB hard drive. (It takes almost 8 hours to format a drive with Windows.)
    Reboot everything (normal).
    Change UPS on one location.
    Configure BF 1TB OTA Roamio after installing cable card bracket.
    Install and configure Mini VOX with OTA as host.
    Use the 1TB Roamio as file storage and box up the Premiere.
    It will be fun. :)

As opposed to AVSForum, I don't receive alerts for being included in a post.

12. sfhub

sfhub Well-Known Member

Jan 6, 2007
    An earlier poster was right, there is no CCI byte for OTA.

The only time I've heard of this happening with OTA is when the Broadcast Flag was set. In the past this was mapped to I think CCI=0x03 functionality on TiVo, but the Broadcast Flag was abandoned and I don't know of anybody using it. The code in TiVo to handle Broadcast Flag might still be there though, and sometimes broadcasters misconfigure their equipment. That would be my guess as to what is happening. I don't remember if there is a way to see the status of Broadcast Flag in TiVo. They might map it, not only in functionality, but actually to CCI bits, so it might show up there. I remember in HDHomeRun there was a way to see the status of that flag.

13. TeamPace

TeamPace Active Member

Oct 22, 2013
    Ohio
    OK, Today's episode of Psych recorded just fine. So it was just something weird with yesterdays episode that caused the "unable to record this episode" due to copyright issues. Really odd, have never seen that before and hope never to see it again!

Last edited: Nov 29, 2017