Menu Distortion

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by HSK, Jan 26, 2006.

1. HSK

HSK New Member

Dec 25, 2002
    I was hoping some one has run accross this issue. All the words on the menu screens are distorted. Its like white noise is over the words and extending to the right of the words. This happens on all Tivo screens. I tried unpluging for a few minutes to try and reset the unit but that did not help. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
    thanks

2. litzdog911

litzdog911 TechKnow Guide

Oct 18, 2002
    Mill Creek,...
    Need more info ...
    * brand/model Tivo?
    * brand/model TV?
    * how is the Tivo connected to the TV (inputs/outputs, cables, connectors)?
    * does it matter if you use a different connection between the Tivo and TV?
    * did this problem just start suddenly?

3. dgh

dgh New Member

Jul 24, 2000
    Depending on the severity of the problem, it could be the comb filter in the TV if you're using the composite or RF connection. If so, try s-video if possible.

4. HSK

HSK New Member

Dec 25, 2002
    I have the Sony 80 hr box series 2. This just started and i have had the box for many years trouble free. It is connected with coax on an old sony 53 inch. Recording and TV watching is still OK just the menus are giving me a problem.
    thanks for your fast reply's

5. dgh

dgh New Member

Jul 24, 2000
    Coax on a 53" TV is definitely going to show comb filter artifacts, even if the comb filter is functioning perfectly. Even on my 27" Sony, then menus are noticeably "buzzy" when using RF or composite and clean on s-video.

I don't know why the comb filter would suddenly get worse, but then I don't know why anything else would either. Does it have an s-video input?

6. HSK

HSK New Member

Dec 25, 2002
    The nice thing about the Sony DVR is if you just turn it off you can watch other TV shows while the box is recording on another channel. So this is why i have it connected this way. Can i still go with S-Video?
    Thanks

7. dgh

dgh New Member

Jul 24, 2000
    Well that's the lowest quality connection so everyone needs to determine his own trade-off there. I was thinking, just try it to see if it makes a difference.