Men of a Certain Age - All Summer 2011 season thread (spoilers allowed)

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by Steveknj, Jun 3, 2011.

1. Jun 3, 2011 #1 of 159
    Steveknj

Steveknj Lost in New Joisey TCF Club

Mar 10, 2003
    New Jersey
    Let's use this for the season discussion thread.

Loved the first episode. The characters are still so well written. I wonder what Owen's strategy is with his dad to get him to agree to sell the dealership. It appears his insistence of them building the body shop is phase 1.

2. Jun 3, 2011 #2 of 159
    Hank

Hank AC•FTW TCF Club

May 31, 2000
    Boston, MA
    I disagree -- I think when Owen woke up he realized that the decisions/commitments from the night before were a drunken mistake, and the next day decided not to sell, but go the other way and dig in further to owning and running the dealership.

3. Jun 3, 2011 #3 of 159
    Dawghows

Dawghows Liberal Elitist

May 17, 2001
    NJ
    I completely agree.

4. Jun 3, 2011 #4 of 159
    betts4

betts4 I am Spartacus!

Dec 26, 2005
    A Galaxy...
    Unfortunately, I agree. I mean, Unfortunately because I think it would be a fun twist to have him sell the dealership and then have them deal with all the changes that would bring.

Interesting that not only was Terry in a reverse situation (him thinking it was not a fling and her dumping him), but also Ray's ex getting dumped by the man that broke up their marriage.

5. Jun 3, 2011 #5 of 159
    Steveknj

Steveknj Lost in New Joisey TCF Club

Mar 10, 2003
    New Jersey
    I think you may be right, but the thing that bothers me about this, if that's what he's doing, is that the whole reason he didn't build it in the first place is because the dealership was in big time debt. So how can he justify putting them in MORE debt to do this? Getting his father to agree to sell gets them both out of that hole. I wonder perhaps if he was feeling his dad out for how much interest he really has in running the dealership? When he approached his dad (still seems weird to me that he calls him daddy, as if he were a 10 year old boy) about the body shop, his dad quickly said, that he had to go. Maybe that was a sign that the dad is not all that interested in running things anymore.

We shall see.

6. Jun 3, 2011 #6 of 159
    gchance

gchance 4 8 15 16 23 42

Dec 6, 2002
    Olivehurst, CA
    I think that Owen did seriously want to sell the dealership, until he realized that his wife doesn't give a rat's ass about what he wants or needs, never did, and ignored the entire discussion because she was too involved in her activity.

That is, until he told her how much she would get out of it, THEN she was interested. I swear, that woman's cut of the same cloth as Lynette Scavo on Desperate Housewives.

Different people treat the Dad/Daddy thing differently. I call my mother Mommy, and called my father Daddy until he died in 1989 when I was 19. I'd still call him that if he were alive. Did you ever watch Dallas? They all called Jock Ewing Daddy when they were well into their 40s.

Greg

7. Jun 3, 2011 #7 of 159
    Satchel

Satchel Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2001
    Dallas, TX
    I'm growing a bit tired of Terry and his "landlord" problems. He needs a break...preferably one that makes him some money.

8. Jun 3, 2011 #8 of 159
    betts4

betts4 I am Spartacus!

Dec 26, 2005
    A Galaxy...
    Terry and his landlord problems just means he needs to take responsiblity for what he agreed to do. Or pay rent.

9. Jun 3, 2011 #9 of 159
    ireland967

ireland967 Member

Feb 27, 2003
    Chicago
    I thought for sure the son was going to say something awkward about understanding his mom is "going through the change" when he got home early. Was pleasantly surprised he just went with a hug.

10. Jun 3, 2011 #10 of 159
    Hank

Hank AC•FTW TCF Club

May 31, 2000
    Boston, MA
    I thought for sure that Owen was going to say something really embarrassing into the GMRS radio that someone who works for/knows Scarpula and it would have backfired the next day. I know that is a cheap plot device, but I really thought it could happen.

11. Jun 3, 2011 #11 of 159
    Hank

Hank AC•FTW TCF Club

May 31, 2000
    Boston, MA
    Here's what I see (maybe this is too realistic for a TV show).. sell the empty lot at a loss. Either OT paid cash for it, in which case, will give OT 2.0 needed cash to pay down some of their existing debt and/or equip the body shop. OT 1.0 did say he gave them a low-ball offer and "practically stole" the property, so I would guess he paid cash for it.

Or if OT 1.0 mortgaged the empty lot, sell the empty lot, pay off all of (or as much as possible) it's mortgage, which will free up cash-flow from the debt-service on the mortgage, allowing them to invest (borrow) for the body shop.

And they might get a tax write-off for the loss on the sale.

12. Jun 3, 2011 #12 of 159
    Dawghows

Dawghows Liberal Elitist

May 17, 2001
    NJ
    It seems pretty clear from what we've seen that the body shop is either outmoded or non-existent. I'm not a businessman, but if either of those things are true, then building a new one might make perfectly good sense. You might be throwing good money after bad, but then again, you might not. Maybe you're paving the way to better business in the future.

I work in an industry that has been absolutely devastated by the economic situation of the last few years. Over this time, we've had salary cuts, benefit cuts, and massive layoffs, but at the same time we have invested money in areas we have neglected or ignored in the past. As a result, we are now one of only a very, very small handful of surviving competitors in our market.

13. Jun 3, 2011 #13 of 159
    Ment

Ment Well-Known Member

Mar 27, 2008
    People's...
    Owen changed his underwear in the morning and found he still had balls. Agree with previous comments, sell the unused property even at a loss to free up money to get a loan for the bodyshop and Owen can show Scarpula that he isn't his daddy's *****.

Oh and why can't I meet strippers with hearts of gold? :)

14. Jun 3, 2011 #14 of 159
    billboard_NE

billboard_NE North Shore MA

May 18, 2005
    I was surprised to see this show up in my now playing list. I thought my Tivo grabbed a re-run, I am not home now, but I swear the episode was 207 or something like that.

Anyway glad to see the show return. One of the best shows on TV (IMHO) so that means it will most likely soon get canceled.

15. Jun 4, 2011 #15 of 159
    garys67

garys67 Lawn Darts Champion

Jan 12, 2005
    That was my thoughts exactly. The other dealer is going to find another lot somewhere, even if the OTs don't sell theirs. So, perhaps the OTs will just sell the empty lot to the other dealer. Since we do not really know the value of the empty lot, just the debt on it, they might even be able to recoup enough to fund the body shop, even as a down payment on a business loan.

16. Jun 4, 2011 #16 of 159
    Hank

Hank AC•FTW TCF Club

May 31, 2000
    Boston, MA
    It is my impression that "the debt" is from borrowing to repay the withholding taxes (or the debt is directly to the IRS). I don't think it was ever revealed how the empty lot was paid for (cash or mortgage).

17. Jun 4, 2011 #17 of 159
    Jeeters

Jeeters Registered Snoozer

Feb 25, 2003
    PA
    It's basic "you have to spend money to make money". Once they build the body shop, they would then (hopefully) start pulling in a larger profit, thus getting them out of debt even faster than if they didn't build the shop.

18. Jun 5, 2011 #18 of 159
    Mikeyis4dcats

Mikeyis4dcats Well-Known Member

Oct 2, 2003
    the new lot, if IIRC, is in a different part of town, as OT wanted to expand his reach. Don't see that being useful to Scarpella if they want the delaership to keep their operations adjacent.

19. Jun 5, 2011 #19 of 159
    Hank

Hank AC•FTW TCF Club

May 31, 2000
    Boston, MA
    Agreed.

In a previous thread, I said they should turn it into a youth center/BB court.. but that was before we learned they were in so much debt.

20. Jun 7, 2011 #20 of 159
    jradosh

jradosh Newlywed

Jul 31, 2001
    Herndon,...
    Finally watched the show. I'm on the fence between the different interpretations y'all have put out there regarding OT and his decision/strategy.

One thing I noticed in the last scene that no one has mentioned (so maybe I imagined it?) was the cup of coffee Owen had in his hand. In the previous scene with Scarpula (sp?) they made a point about mentioning his coffee cup ("we got a new coffee machine") and then we see the same type of coffee cup in Owen's hand before he talks with his dad. I took that to mean that Owen had just came from Scapula's dealership, presumably to make some kind of deal (or maybe to officially turn down his offer). Opinions?

Ray Romano continues to impress me with his ability to balance the comedy with the pathos. The scene where the was talking with the stripper about his ex-wife was classic.

I assume we'll find out the girl working in the party store is illiterate ("it looked like another party hat"). I hope they don't make too much of a side story out of that.

This episode just flew by. I have a feeling the short season will fly by as well. :(