"Men In Trees"

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by etexlady, Sep 13, 2006.

1. etexlady

etexlady Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2002
    East Texas

Advertisements

Did anyone else watch the sneak preview of this new show on Tuesday night? I was really surprised. It was funny in places and made me laugh out loud at times. I would say it is more of a "girl's" show about relationships but certainly guys could enjoy it too.

2. TheDewAddict

TheDewAddict tciddAweDehT

Aug 21, 2002
    Amsterdam,...
    I was not expecting to like it, but I was suprised. It's not half-bad. It's one of those "if my TiVo isn't otherwise busy, I guess I'll let it record a few more of these" shows.

3. WVgirl

WVgirl New Member

Sep 6, 2006
    South Carolina
    I am not Crazy about Anne Hache but when I read it was set in Alaska I was in. I love anything set in Alaska. I really enjoyed it (can't say the same for my husband). I loved that it made fun of all those people who think they know enough to tell other people how to live and love. I also didn't mind Anne Hache I guess I warmed up to her while she was on Everwood :mad: (still haven't gotten over that loss). The only worry is I'm going to get hooked and then it'll be gone.

4. etexlady

Jun 22, 2002
    East Texas
    WVgirl, that's exactly what I was thinking as well.....getting hooked and then it's gone. It may turn out to be a one trick pony and they put all they had into the pilot but I'm going to watch the next few episodes to see where it goes. It kind of reminded me of Northern Exposure which I loved. It appears the pilot will be repeated early Monday morning on my local ABC station. Don't know if that's the case elsewhere. It's regular time slot is on Friday so that will likely be one big strike against it.

5. marksman

marksman ID-10-T

Mar 4, 2002

Advertisements

I taped it but have not watched it yet. I am very concerned it is just a Northern Exposure Redux.. is that way off base?

6. Nina108

Nina108 New Member

May 5, 2004
    New Jersey
    I actually liked it. I thought Anne Heche did a good job and I just hope they give this show a chance. I also tend to get sucked into shows that get the axe after only a few episodes. The rest of the cast is very likeable as well.

7. nirisahn

nirisahn Well-Known Member TCF Club

Nov 19, 2005
    Denver area
    What? No Tivo? ;)

8. etexlady

Jun 22, 2002
    East Texas
    It's similar to Northern Exposure in that it is set in a small Alaskan town and a number of odd or quirky characters inhabit the town. I can't recall too many details about NE but I do think there are similarities.

9. sieglinde

sieglinde Active Member

Aug 11, 2002
    Sebastopol, CA
    I have watched a few minutes of the pilot. I will give it a try. I think it is up against one of the SciFi Channel shows but they repeat those a lot anyway.

10. ryoung07

ryoung07 New Member

Jul 20, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    I also thought this was pretty good. I'll keep the season pass and hope it doesn't get cancelled...

11. Ladd Morse

Ladd Morse Member

Feb 21, 2002
    I just finished watching the show and while there were a few lame scenes (like the introduction of the inkeeper/radio host guy), I chalked it all up to typical first-show, gotta introduce lots of characters and explain lots of bits.

Definitely very "northern exposure", but that's OK -- I liked that show. I'll watch at least a few more of this one to see if it treads old ground well and new ground hopefully.

12. icmoney

icmoney Member

Aug 22, 2005
    Midland, Tx
    I did'nt like it too much, but I may change my mind. I have a hard time seperating Anne Heche from her real life and having sympahty for the charactar. It will be opposite Close to Home and Las Vegas when the new season gets under way. I may watch it live since I record the other shows in HD for later viewing. Sometimes a show grows on you after a few weeks.

13. ScottE22

ScottE22 How YOU doin'?

Sep 19, 2003
    Fort...
    Not bad at all! I had no idea what the show was about, but there were no other premiers we were interested in this week and the name of the show was strange enough to pique my interest. My wife and I both enjoyed it. I set up an SP. Which means it will be cancelled shortly... :(

14. ScottE22

ScottE22 How YOU doin'?

Sep 19, 2003
    Fort...
    It looked like they were on location in AK for at least the pilot. Anyone know if they actually intend to do much shooting there?

15. atrac

atrac New Member

Feb 27, 2002
    Los Angeles
    I checked it out last night too and was quite intriqued. I expected to watch a minute of it and turn it off, but instead got hooked into watching the whole thing. It was quirky enough to hold my attention and I actually found the writing intelligent. I really liked Anne Heche in it too. And I haven't really been impressed with her since her performance in "Ally McBeal" as Melanie West. She was also terrific in "Wag the Dog." I'm glad to like her again.

There is no question that there are shades of "Northern Exposure" in it, but I expected that. But I liken this to "Star Trek" and "Stargate: SG-1" or any other "genre" show having similarities. "Stargate" has actually been referencing "Star Trek" a lot lately; I'd love to have a scene with Anne Heche saying something like "Wow, that was a 'Northern Exposure' moment" or something similar.

Of course with my argument you'd have to accept that Alaska is a genre. ;)

Incidentally, I think they are filming the series in Vancouver.

16. murgatroyd

murgatroyd Don't stop believin'

Jan 5, 2002
    Berkeley CA
    If for nothing else, the show will be fun for actor-spotting.

My favorite was the bartender. Recognized his voice but not his face. A quick trip to IMDB told me why. Yes, I had seen him before, but let's just say he didn't look like that. ;)

Other actors have appeared on Stargate, Gilmore Girls, etc.

As for the show, yeah, it's part Six Days Seven Nights, part Northern Exposure -- if they can break out of that and do something interesting, the show will be fun. But if they run the "fish out of water" schtick into the ground, it will get boring pretty quickly.

Jan

17. Bob Coxner

Bob Coxner Active Member

Dec 1, 2004
    One more nod to Northern Exposure was their use of music. It wasn't up to NE standards but not bad. We also have the wise Native Americans speaking in cryptic riddles. And, of course, we have a radio talk show host as a major character - a la Chris Stephens. Anne Heche's character (from New York) will be Rob Morrow's character (from New York). The biologist character will be the love interest to match Janine Turner in NE.

All in all, it felt like Northern Exposure for women. I'm a guy but it was good enough for me to come back to see where they go with it. NE remains the gold standard, but it was great enough that even a silver or bronze version could be good enough for now.

18. ScottE22

ScottE22 How YOU doin'?

Sep 19, 2003
    Fort...
    Do tell... I looked in IMDB but can't recognize who he was in the list...

19. mikieminnow

mikieminnow New Member

Mar 16, 2004
    GA
    Not bad, but after 'Surface' and 'Invasion' last year, I'm not holding my breath for a long run...

20. TomK

TomK Active Member

May 22, 2001
    Huntsville,...
    It was pretty good, I'm liking it, and it's in HD too. I loved Northern Exposure, one of my all time top shows ever and I can watch Anne Heche with no problem. :)