Medium: The Beaver Episode

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by Philosofy, Feb 16, 2010.

1. Philosofy

Philosofy Super Duper Member

Feb 21, 2000
    Valparaiso,...
    No thread? We watched it last night, and I thought it was very original. Allison's dreams were weird enough that you didn't see the plot twist coming, and the Ariel sub plot was fantastic! I loved how she didn't get scared, and, instead of urging the ghost to the light, a la Ghost Whisperer, basically told him to F@#$ off.

2. Cainebj

Cainebj Well-Known Member

Nov 10, 2006
    New York
    I think just about every episode of this show is great.
    I find it consistently well written with fine acting performances.

Just don't seem too many folks on here wanting to chat about it.

3. chazas

chazas Member

Jan 18, 2007
    We missed this episode, it got pushed back on our local channel and the Tivo recorded something else.:(

4. astrohip

astrohip Well-Known Raconteur TCF Club

Jan 6, 2003
    Houston/Bren...
    One of the few shows my wife & I both watch. I figured they would run out of dream ideas by now, but the beaver episode was pretty good. It seems strange that we've been watching this show so long we've seen the kids grow up.

And I want to retract a statement I made, oh prolly 4 or 5 years ago. I accused Bridgette of being one of the most irritating characters on TV. She has actually turned into a fairly interesting person. Not near as whiny as she once was. Better acting? Different writing? Either way, a most appreciated character development.:up:

5. BriGuy20

BriGuy20 New Member

Aug 4, 2005
    Vienna, VA
    The Beaver got VERY close to a jump the shark moment, as did Office Space Neighbor in drag.

This show is still good enough (and written well enough) that even an episode like this doesn't QUITE get to full shark jumping. Still love it. Still watch it almost immediately after it's recorded.

6. Magnolia88

Magnolia88 She likes cheese.

Jun 30, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    I like this show a lot. I watch every episode. But I have very little to say about it. I thought the Beaver episode was a little wacky, and I thought, WTH are they doing? but it grew on me.

I think Bridget's acting has improved somewhat, and I like that she's not the "cutesy" cliche of most TV kids, who spout wisecracks like they're 30. She actually seems like she could be a real kid (ok, one with psychic powers, but still). And the girl who plays Ariel is really good imho.

7. ScubaCat

ScubaCat Shades of Blue......

Jun 26, 2003
    N.E. GA
    I started out watching this show for Allison and her adventures. The kids were just part of the larger picture. Now Allison's plots are annoyingly repetitive and the plots with the kids are the most interesting part of the show.

I do have to note that since the actress playing Ariel had her star turn in a real movie (My Sister's Keeper) she has really started over-acting almost every scene. I hope she gets over it because she was doing fine before the movie.

8. Fl_Gulfer

Fl_Gulfer Tivo's R Us

May 27, 2005
    Fl.Gulf
    It wasn't listed in my TV Guide so I missed it.

9. scooterboy

scooterboy Coney Island Small

Mar 27, 2001
    East...
    If only there was some sort of device that would record shows you like, whether you looked at a TV Guide or not...

Oh well, maybe some day - when we have flying cars. :)

10. Fl_Gulfer

Fl_Gulfer Tivo's R Us

May 27, 2005
    Fl.Gulf

I guess I need a TIVO... since D*'s records every show over and over. so I don't set it up like that.
    OH!!! that's right TIVO don't work with D*.

11. Regina

Regina I've got Jewbs!

Mar 29, 2003
    Indiana
    ITA-the ep where Bridgette was complaining about being a middle child brought me to tears! :eek: I know just how she feels!

12. toddvj

toddvj New Member

Apr 22, 2004
    St. Paul, MN
    Is this some sort of inside joke? Not only did my TiVo not record it, I see no mention of a new episode on epguides or IMDB. Also, I don't see any reference to a "Beaver" episode?

I don't watch the show, but I record it for my wife, and usually transfer it to her iPod.

13. Philosofy

Philosofy Super Duper Member

Feb 21, 2000
    Valparaiso,...
    No, not a joke. The subplot of the last episode involved Ariel babysitting for a kid that had an "imaginary friend" that was a 6 foot tall beaver. It was actually a ghost of a college mascot that died in his outfit. I can't remember the real name of the episode or the air date.

14. astrohip

astrohip Well-Known Raconteur TCF Club

Jan 6, 2003
    Houston/Bren...
    Feb 5 2010.

"Will the Real Fred Rovick Please Stand Up?"

A perplexed Allison must figure out why she keeps seeing the face of one man in the faces of other people in her daily life, including that of her husband, Joe. Also, Ariel makes an interesting acquaintance while babysitting a challenging young boy.

Allison dreams of a man being killed but is soon seeing him everywhere. As time goes by, she also starts to see the man, who is eventually identified as Fred Rovick, as people she knows including Det. Scanlon, DA Devalos and husband Joe. She also dreams about a young woman, Mallory Kessinger, who pushes her much older wheelchair-bound husband down the stairs. The two cases are related but it takes her a while to connect the dots. Ariel meanwhile gets a regular babysitting job but her 5 year old charge, Jeb, proves to be a bit much to handle. The boy's mother says he has an imaginary friend, Mr. Teefers, who the boy blames for his excesses. Ariel soon learns that his friend is not all that imaginary.
    Mr. Teefers was the Beaver. (Can anyone over the age of fifty say that line, and not hear "Jerry Mathers as The Beaver".)

15. Church AV Guy

Church AV Guy Active Member

Jan 19, 2005
    high desert...
    Fred Rovick was using an internet scam to get people's personal information. He had a Trojan in an e-mail. Everyone who opened the e-mail took on the face of Fred Rovick to Alison.

The last scene was very funny indeed. I didn't know if I should laugh or cringe. I think I did both!

Arial handled the mascot intelligently, I thought. Her initial fright was replaced with indignation pretty quickly, and she dealt with the problem. Good twin to the rescue!?

16. JYoung

JYoung Series 3

Jan 16, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Hey I liked Diedrich Bader playing all those different parts.

He had Scanlon's mannerisms down pat

17. BriGuy20

BriGuy20 New Member

Aug 4, 2005
    Vienna, VA
    I'd give him an A on Scanlon, B or B+ for Joe. I would have taken the voice down a bit for Joe, but the running his fingers through his hair thing worked well. The cross-dressing was creepy, though.