Medium: Season Finale

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by Philosofy, May 23, 2010.

1. Philosofy

Philosofy Super Duper Member

Feb 21, 2000
    Valparaiso,...

Advertisements

Kind of saw part of it coming (Allison wasn't dead.) But now I see why they've been spending so much time on Ariel: I'll bet she doesn't come back as a regular next season. Its bugging me: who is the actress who played the ghost? I know I've seen her before. edit: Teri Polo, who played Matt Santos' wife on the last season of West Wing.

2. astrohip

astrohip Well-Known Raconteur TCF Club

Jan 6, 2003
    Houston/Bren...
    I'm guessing they didn't know if Medium was coming back or not. It was a bubble show, and this was clearly an acceptable series finale. All the way down to the main characters (except the two youngest kids) lined up at the end, final scene, just like the Star Wars movies end.

And now we have another season of Medium.:up: And yeah, it does appear Ariel isn't returning. Maybe a few guest shots.

3. Church AV Guy

Church AV Guy Active Member

Jan 19, 2005
    high desert...
    It was unbelievable to me that a mother who cared so much for her children, as Allison appears to for hers, would put her daughter into such an impossible position. I just didn't believe for a second that Allison would do that to Ariel. The actual show was unremarkable.

4. Family

Family Well-Known Member

Jul 23, 2001
    Yeah they've run out of ideas, but still glad there's one more season. I like the Dubois family.

5. Cainebj

Cainebj Well-Known Member

Nov 10, 2006
    New York

Advertisements

I love MEDIUM, but, I hate when shows have a main character be dead just to have them not be dead. It might fit in this dream world of the show, but I rolled my eyes through most of the episode.:rolleyes:

6. Magnolia88

Magnolia88 She likes cheese.

Jun 30, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    I agree with this. I found Allison's behavior to be wildly out of character, all that shrill "You can't leave me!!!" nonsense. She's usually been portrayed as a good mother before, one who genuinely cares for her children and wants what is best for them, not a crazy controlling harpy. I just never bought that for a minute.

7. Sir_winealot

Sir_winealot Seenyer Member

Nov 18, 2000
    Medium is one of our favorite shows, but this weeks depiction of Allison made this a very difficult episode for us to watch; the whining got on our nerves and we almost turned it off.

A disappointing finale for us, but glad it's been renewed!

8. kmcorbett

kmcorbett Member

Dec 7, 2002
    Newton MA
    I found it entirely credible that the dead Allison would haunt Ariel in an obsessive way, and that Ariel would be pushed to a breaking point. This is good drama, when characters are pushed to their limits, and we are asked to go with them. This episode dealt with some of the show's core themes around coping with loss: the loss of a loved one, loss of autonomy, letting go and moving on. I imagine that the writers have a hard time finding new ways to deal with these weighty topics. I give them a lot of credit for (usually) succeeding, so when they ask me to suspend my critical judgment for a while, I usually go along.

9. balboa dave

balboa dave well rounded

Jan 19, 2004
    Newport...
    At last, someone who's been paying attention. :D

This episode explored the consequences of the overprotective Alison who couldn't let her child go, first, from going to a far off college, and second, after death by literally haunting her. In spite of the murder plots becoming a little too predictable, the character study has always been well done, and this episode was no exception.

10. astrohip

astrohip Well-Known Raconteur TCF Club

Jan 6, 2003
    Houston/Bren...
    I couldn't have said it better myself.