Mediagate or other external media center

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by dbutts, Oct 26, 2009.

1. dbutts

dbutts New Member

Mar 28, 2007

Advertisements

All,
    I have one Tivo HD with 1TB drive in my living room but just recently bought new LCD for bedroom.

How can i set this up so that I can watch different things in different rooms without involving comcast and another dvr or cable box?

1. run another HDMI cable via a 3:2 hdmi splitter.. would work great but would be stuck watching same channel in both rooms

2. buy another tivo or dvr or cable box.. yikes..that would involve comcast and more charges.

3. something like a mediagate device that would allow me to download from computer and play back in bedroom.. i'm running python & pytivo so i could technically bring stuff from the hd tivo to the mediagate, but not sure what kind of compression/decompression that would involve or its impact on quality.

Or maybe something that will connect to my wired or wireless network and can stream video (mpg, avi, mkv, etc) directly to my tv via an HDMI connection. Does such a device exist? I don't necessarily need local storage. I have lots of media already stored on my home pc's.

Finally, does anyone know if Tivo has something like Moxi does (the Moxi-mate) that allows for second room? Or does anyone know of an app that will do that? (linux or windows).. I'm willing to build a small pc to accomplish this function but I don't know where to start.. so i'm starting here

Has anyone had any experience with the ASUS O!Play?

thanks!
    dB