Mediacom TiVo question

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by Nick223, Nov 12, 2017.

1. Nick223

Nick223 New Member

Nov 12, 2017

Advertisements

i have an arris m2 TiVo box and a TiVo pace mi3 box I rent from mediacom. Can I add a 3rd tv with a purchased TiVo mini to my set up? Mediacom told me you can’t cross rental equipment with purchased equipment it doesn’t pair together well. Is this true?

Thanks.

2. ajwees41

ajwees41 Well-Known Member

May 7, 2006
    Omaha,NE
    why not just rent a mini if mediacom says it will not work

3. Nick223

Nick223 New Member

Nov 12, 2017
    But if I could save some money why not?

4. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    Agreed.

Unfortunately, Mediacom is speaking truth: the TiVo devices must be registered on the same TiVo account to interoperate, and that's not possible for retail and provider-supplied gear.

The next question becomes... Why not just switch all your gear to retail TiVo equipment? (On-Demand access is a typical advantage for leased equipment.)

5. Nick223

Nick223 New Member

Nov 12, 2017

Advertisements

Because I was new to tivo and had no clue how it operated. Maybe I’ll buy the equipment after I test it out for awhile. Thanks

6. ggieseke

ggieseke Well-Known Member

May 30, 2008
    krkaufman likes this.
  7. lparsons21

lparsons21 Active Member

Feb 17, 2015
    Yes, Mediacom has said you can do that with a retail mini, but in other threads they’ve indicated that it is a one-time thing. IOW, once its done you can’t go back or to a retail setup.

VOD on Mediacom isn’t all that good IMO, too much SD only stuff, and relatively poor overall. Even Dish’s VOD is vastly better IMO. I started with the same equipment that the OP has and didn’t stay with it long. The lack of Amazon Prime streaming was a big deal to me, and since the VOD was so poor, it just made more sense.

Now I have a Bolt, Roamio Plus and Mini. Costs me $1.99 for the cable card and no access fee otherwise.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

krkaufman likes this.
  8. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    Possible great news from @ggieseke. Fingers crossed.

Also, a quick check of Mediacom's site (link) indicates you can access "free on-demand" via a TiVo supplied by them. You may want to zero-in on this feature as it would likely be the only pro to leasing from Mediacom, other than lower up-front costs. I know you can access Comcast/Xfinity on-demand via retail TiVos, maybe via Cox and one other provider, as well; some providers don't provide on-demand via TiVos, at all; but a few providers only allow on-demand access via leased TiVos.

9. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    I'm suspect of the TiVo support statement, given the recent track record for their responses I've seen on their site. And, unfortunately, the thread OP never returned to share what they found.

Even if possible, taking the TiVo statement at face value, they've declared the process does not apply to a retail TiVo Mini trying to use a Mediacom DVR as its host. The process, as stated, only seems to allow MRV/transfers between retail and leased TiVo DVRs; no MRS/streaming, and a Mini could only play content stored on a like DVR, leased or retail. But, again, take it with a grain of salt.