Mechanics of selling a TiVo?

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by rlcarr, Sep 20, 2016.

Tags:
  1. rlcarr

rlcarr Member

Jan 18, 2003
    Arlington, MA

Advertisements

I have a lifetimed TiVoHD that I'm going to be looking to sell. (Not going to talk about the specifics of the item here because I know it's the wrong place.)

I've never sold a TiVo before so I'm wondering what all the recommended steps are.

What's the standard way of proving to a buyer that the TiVo is really lifetimed? A photo of the System Info screen with the TSN partially redacted?

I assume I should do a "Reset and Clear Everything" before shipping it?

Once the TiVo has been sent, what should I do to get that TSN off my tivo.com account?

Finally, aside from the usual eBay or Craigslist are there recommended places to offer the box for sale? (I do see there are forums for that here :) , but are there also other good special-purpose areas of other sites as well for selling TiVos?)

2. convergent

convergent Active Member

Jan 3, 2007
    Raleigh, NC
    You basically have it all correct.

I just sold a Roamio, 2 Minis, a Series 3 HD and a Series 2 DT. All had Lifetime. I wasn't asked to prove it (Lifetime) to anyone, so I don't think you need to worry about that unless someone asks. What I told them was that once I had their payment and name, I would call Tivo to start the process. If I didn't do that, then the item would not have been what I advertised.

That said, I did log into my Tivo Account and verify that my account showed they had Lifetime service, and I verified the Tivo Service Number (not the MAC address) which is on the back of the unit. I took a picture of the back of the unit with the number on it, and then I took a picture of the TV screen while it had just completed connecting to the network.. I suppose you could also take a picture of the screen showing the service number too but I didn't do that. I did not provide the service number to the customer, and they will simply have that when they receive the unit.

I did do a Reset and Clear Everything on each one, including the Minis, before selling. With a Roamio, Bolt, or Mini, you also have potential streaming account info to delete. For Hulu, I logged in and removed the units from my account. For Netflix, the only way to do it is to wipe out all your devices and I didn't want to do that, so left it alone. The Reset and Clear Everything should make it impossible for the unit to connect to your account again, but just pointing it out.

Once the unit is sold, you need to call TiVo customer service and tell them you want to do a transfer. They will ask you which unit you want to transfer. I had them tell me the last 4 of the service number to verify, vs. just going on the name I gave it. They then ask for the buyers name. They open a case and give you a case number. The buyer will need to call Tivo customer service and give them that case number to complete the transfer. I believe that it will still show up in your account as inactive; and you'll be able to see what name the buyer gave it; but that is all you can see.

The three locations to sell you provided are the main three. I don't know of other areas. Based on my experience, you will get your best prices probably on Ebay, even factoring in the fees and shipping... unless you happen to find someone on Craigslist that knows what they are buying. If you sell on here, your prices will be a bit lower, but you are selling into a known community. I have sold a lot on Ebay over the years, so went that route after offering here for prices that were net less to me and didn't get any bites.

I posted my prices sold on Ebay this week here, so you can compare that to what you see in the buy/sell forum here. http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?p=11007755#post11007755

3. dlfl

dlfl Cranky old novice

Jul 6, 2006
    Dayton OH
    I have a different and simpler recipe:

1. Give the potential buyer your TSN so they can call TiVo and verify lifetime. There is no security risk in this.

2. When payment is assured, call TiVo and tell them you are selling it and give them the name of the purchaser. They can give you a reference number which you provide to the buyer to smooth things when they call in to get it put on their account -- although this number is not absolutely necessary.

3. Yes, do a C&DE.

4. convergent

convergent Active Member

Jan 3, 2007
    Raleigh, NC
    If the case number is "not absolutely necessary" to transfer, then how is giving them the TSN not a risk? I'm not meaning to question that you are correct, I'm genuinely not understanding.

5. Suture

Suture New Member

Sep 21, 2016

Advertisements

Awesome info! I'm possibly selling an old Premiere with lifetime, and was wondering how it was done properly.

6. A2JetGuy

A2JetGuy Member

Jan 23, 2013
    I've bought and sold a number of TiVo's over the years. When selling, all that was ever required (in my experience) was to call a TiVo CSR and request a transfer authorization number.

I've never been asked for the Buyer's information, in fact, I have even requested a transfer authorization number BEFORE I even had a buyer. That way I could include the transfer authorization number right in the box with the TiVo when I shipped it. After receiving the money, of course.

I suppose that if I had changed my mind and not sold the unit after getting the transfer authorization number, the TiVo would simply remain on my account. In essence, the transfer authorization number is just a "code word" that only a current owner could request and only a legitimate buyer would have.

7. convergent

convergent Active Member

Jan 3, 2007
    Raleigh, NC
    Good to know.. what I shared was the process used literally yesterday. I'm not sure if they changed it, or just that your mileage varies depending on who you get. The guy tried to tell me he was going to do all 4 Tivos I sold to 4 different people at one time, and I told him I didn't think that would work and asked him to give me a separate case number for each one. I think he came to the conclusion that he had to do it that way anyways, but he had me worried for a minute.

8. dlfl

dlfl Cranky old novice

Jul 6, 2006
    Dayton OH
    <common sense> Either having a "case" number or having TiVo know the name of the purchaser (as furnished by the seller) provides security that someone can't transfer the TiVo just by having the TSN </common sense>