Me, Myself & I "Pilot" 9-25-17

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by TIVO_GUY_HERE, Oct 1, 2017.

1. Oct 1, 2017 #1 of 60
    TIVO_GUY_HERE

TIVO_GUY_HERE I miss the ocean

Jul 10, 2000
    Dallas Texas

Advertisements

Show is ok. I know I will miss Bobby Moynihan more on SNL, than like him in this.
    I like John Larroquette, so I recorded mostly for him.

And John is 69 ( and looks it), and Sharon Lawrence is 56 ( and looks it), and they were supposed to be same age in grade school ( or at least close). really threw me out of the scene.

Will see how it goes, like I said didn't hate it, but it has got to get better to get my DVR space. :)

(asked mods to fix typo in title)

2. Oct 2, 2017 #2 of 60
    madscientist

madscientist Deregistered Snoozer

Nov 12, 2003
    Lexington, MA
    I said to my wife, "I guess they've gotten a lot better at dealing with aging in the future--but apparently not everyone goes in for it".

3. Oct 2, 2017 #3 of 60
    ej42137

ej42137 Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2014
    Los Angeles
    I had the same reaction until I realized that obviously in the future there is age regeneration therapy that is available to diner owners but not the CEOs of large corporations.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2017
    Mikeguy likes this.
  4. Oct 2, 2017 #4 of 60
    Steveknj

Steveknj Lost in New Joisey TCF Club

Mar 10, 2003
    New Jersey
    I thought the same thing. It was better than some of the reviews I read, but not really stellar. The overdone basketball references really annoyed me, and if that keeps going, that may be enough to kill the SP for me. But for now, I'll watch.

5. Oct 2, 2017 #5 of 60
    ClutchBrake

ClutchBrake Pass the gravy!

Sep 5, 2001
    Orange...

Advertisements

Watched this Saturday night and was surprised to enjoy it. I knew nothing about it going in; just recorded because it was a new show. Great to see John Laroquette. Disappointed that Allison Tolman is playing a character I probably won't like. Had a thing for Kelen Coleman since The Office. Nice to see her. Haven't seen her since Men at Work. My first exposure to the lead actor other than seeing him as a background character in a couple of SNL skits on YouTube. I like him so far. Cool to see the actor that played Urkel still successful.

6. Oct 2, 2017 #6 of 60
    sharkster

sharkster Well-Known Member TCF Club

Jul 3, 2004
    NV
    Yeah, the John L/Sharon L thing was the only bit that made me say 'huh?' due to the obvious age disparity. I loved the storyline, though.

But I enjoyed the show & am still in.

7. Oct 2, 2017 #7 of 60
    ClutchBrake

Sep 5, 2001
    Orange...
    I didn't even notice the age disparity. If I do going forward it will be easy enough to write off. We were introduced to him when he had a heart attack. In that day and age I'd say he probably doesn't take care of himself like others do. Boom. Good reason why she looks 15 years younger.

sharkster likes this.
  8. Oct 2, 2017 #8 of 60
    DevdogAZ

DevdogAZ Give 'em Hell, Devils

Apr 16, 2003
    Arizona
    Since she's playing his ex-wife that claimed she was moving away, I'm not sure how much she'll actually be in the show. IMDb only lists her as being in the one episode so far.

9. Oct 2, 2017 #9 of 60
    ClutchBrake

Sep 5, 2001
    Orange...
    I suspect that is just because not much info is out on the show yet. Sharon Lawrence (adult Nori), Kelen Coleman (adult Abby), Skylar Gray (young Abby), and Jaleel White (Darryl) are all also only listed as one episode. I'm betting all of them will be back.

Maybe her character will be OK though if she does end up a regular. Just don't want another Judith from Two and a Half Men. I quit watching the show because of that character. And like Allison Tolman, I like Marin Hinkle.

10. sharkster

Jul 3, 2004
    NV
    Oh no! I hope to see Sharon L & Jaleel W back as regulars!

11. Mikeguy

Mikeguy Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2005
    Sadly, this is an accepted area of Hollywood sexism.

12. sharkster

Jul 3, 2004
    NV
    hey Mike! It's not about him having a love who is markedly younger than he. I don't know if you saw the show, but it's about how they were little kids together and now she seems to be 15+ years younger than he.

13. sharkster

Jul 3, 2004
    NV
    Ah, I see. :oops:

14. ClutchBrake

Sep 5, 2001
    Orange...
    Hehe. I deleted my response because I didn't want to put words in his mouth. But I think that is it. :)

OK for 69 year old man to look 69 (or 65 in this case) but not OK for a 65 year old woman to look 65.

But what is Helen Mirren's deal? How did she get so much better with age?!

sharkster likes this.
  15. sharkster

Jul 3, 2004
    NV
    LMAO - oops! Sorry 'bout that.

16. mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    The various actors don't really look alike AT ALL. OK, I can maybe see the kid turning into the middle age guy.. But middle age guy will never turn into Laroquette.. Heck, isn't Laroquette WAY TALLER? Unfortunately, we don't keep getting taller.

But the kid (who I had just seen in It a few days before) could DEFINITELY play a younger Fred Savage if they ever do a biopic!! (Though to be honest, Fred Savage could almost still play a young Fred Savage!!) This kid looks VERY VERY much like Fred Savage.

17. mattack

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    Still, I thought it was a decent show that I'll give another few tries at least, and I'm trying to CUT DOWN on shows... I still like trying out new shows though. (Already nuked SEAL team, though I was pretty sure I was going to do that even before recording the first ep.)

18. ClutchBrake

Sep 5, 2001
    Orange...
    Yeah, I'll be 40 next year and I'm going to wish for that *one more time*. I figure if my wish isn't granted at 40 it's probably not going to happen at all.

mattack likes this.
  19. mattack

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    Haha, if the info at imdb is correct.. Moynihan is 5' 7", Laroquette is 6' 4½".

I hope I gain almost 10 inches in height in the next 25 years!

Mikeguy likes this.
  20. Fixer

Fixer Fixin' it!!

Mar 29, 2005
    The Great...
    My wife and I enjoyed it, but the disparity between Larroquette and Moynihan kind of pulled us out of the story.