MCE plugin!

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by Justin Thyme, Jan 5, 2006.

1. Jan 5, 2006 #1 of 16
    Justin Thyme

Justin Thyme Contra sceleris

Mar 29, 2005

Advertisements

Wow.

The screenshot I see on Megazone's site (MCE-plugin-2.JPG ), indicates a Tivo that is showing recorded shows on an MCE available for transfer**.

http://www.megazone.org.nyud.net:8090/Photos/CES2006/TiVo/

The huge huge implication that mega can fill us in on is: Can I download the boatload IP content- eg StarZ, MTV, ABC, etc etc. that BillG was going on about onto the CC Tivo for playing? Can I click to PPV the download from the Tivo?

Or maybe we have to wait for the big announcement with Tom and Bill on stage.

Or maybe I misunderstand what this screenshot indicates.

**Edit- I think I am wrong, because MCE-plugin1.jpg seems to indicate that this is just TTG, and you are pushing the files in the list off to the server. There could yet be transferability of all of the Gates announced content for MCE, but nothing is here to indicate one way or another.

2. Jan 5, 2006 #2 of 16
    DPF

DPF So tired.....

Mar 20, 2003
    Naper-thrill...
    Can't access his site, you guys are fast. :)

3. Jan 5, 2006 #3 of 16
    Justin Thyme

Mar 29, 2005
    People that have successfully downloaded- scale your picture and stick it online- eg. WebShots.com is free. I will stick the ones I got here in this thread.

4. Jan 5, 2006 #4 of 16
    TiVoPhish

TiVoPhish New Member

Mar 12, 2003
    Long Island, NY

Here's a link... I have my own dedicated server, so hopefully it can handle the traffic... I also resized them to a maximum of 800 x 600

CLICK HERE to see the TiVo Series 3 -- courtesy of Megazone

(sorry about the copyright on the larger version of the photos... it's automatically done by my gallery software)

5. Jan 5, 2006 #5 of 16
    ZeoTiVo

ZeoTiVo I can't explain

Jan 2, 2004

Advertisements

this coral cache link to megazones pictures is working well. it caches them off his server and spares him some bandwidth. use it along with TiVoPhish and spread out the hits.

http://www.megazone.org.nyud.net:8090/Photos/CES2006/TiVo/

6. Jan 5, 2006 #6 of 16
    Riverdome

Riverdome Member

May 12, 2005
    Mid to late 2006 is a disappointment but only because I fear it could actually be later than that. I hate having to be patient. :p

7. Jan 5, 2006 #7 of 16
    TiVoPhish

TiVoPhish New Member

Mar 12, 2003
    Long Island, NY
    I kinda agree, but I'll wait to hear something "official" from TiVo... best thing to do I guess. I'm sure they'd LIKE to get it out tomorrow!

8. Jan 5, 2006 #8 of 16
    DPF

DPF So tired.....

Mar 20, 2003
    Naper-thrill...
    Nice to see it's Multistream ready in one slot as well as have two slots. With the CC status in constant flux, this is the safest action. Who knows what happens with CC2.0.

9. Jan 5, 2006 #9 of 16
    ZeoTiVo

ZeoTiVo I can't explain

Jan 2, 2004

so far the time line given by TiVo
    early 2006 - new TTG with iPod/PSP add ins.
    mid 2006 Mac support of Desktop
    mid to late 2006 Series 3

TiVoPhish will laugh at me but every month they do not put out the Series 3 is a bad month for TiVo. now that the cat is more out of the bag more people in the know are going to put off buying an SD TiVo in favor of waiting for the next gen.

How does TiVo plan to support sales of subs this year :confused:

I really thought for that reason alone it would be early 2006 we see the series 2 :(

10. TiVoPhish

TiVoPhish New Member

Mar 12, 2003
    Long Island, NY
    We agree Zeo, and I'm not laughing (at you or anyone)... the sooner it comes out, the better for TiVo surviving this "game". I've already got a substitute cablebox DVR coming and if I end up happy with it, or if they end up upgrading the software to be TiVo-like enough, I don't know that I'll spend the money to go back to TiVo... I'd like to think I would (cause I do love TiVo), but the bottom line is if the functionality is there.

BTW, any speculation on price for this beasty? ;)

11. nhaigh

nhaigh Member

Jul 16, 2001
    Lawrencevill...
    I agree. No word on compatibility with a series two. I want to buy three TiVo's but only need one to be HD. At the moment I have no choice but to wait until it hits the shops. If I knew the III would play well with the II then I'd get two Series II TiVo's today.

I agree than a significant number of people will hold off buying any TiVo until this is available. Then if it comes out at the same time as the Comcast TiVo then why buy it at all?

They must getting in the shops soon otherwise this will be a very very bad year for them.

12. Justin Thyme

Mar 29, 2005
    I believe I misinterpreted the screenshot Mega gave.

I think this is a screen shot of how you can do TTG from the Tivo side, so that you push a show up to the server, rather than pull it down from the server.

I think there is a strong chance you will be able to play all the internet content that Gates was blathering about down onto the Tivo: Akimbo's 5000 shows, MTV vids, StarZ, ABC, Movielink etc etc.

Basically Tivo leverages everything that Gates and Company is able to get onto the home computer. Except no one wants to spend $2000 for a cablecard HD Media Center with the persnickety UI to stick under their TV. Consumers already own a computer, and the computer they have regardless how slow it is will be just fine to perform the download. A 6 year old computer can run Windows MCE so the consumer doesn't have to buy anything new.

So what is going to display most of this content in the living room? An MCE extender or ...

Bingo- a Tivo 3.

For Tivo 2 playback, conversion software would run to downconvert Mpeg4 to Mpeg2 - just as is done when downconverting a video for transfer to any other device attached to an MCE- eg a portable video player.

A nice economy of implementation. Microsoft does the middleware, while Tivo reaps the rewards at the UI. Naturally, MCE thinks it will supplant Tivo when price points come down, but that won't be for a while.

13. Justin Thyme

Mar 29, 2005
    Good work. Thanks for the service to the community.

14. ZeoTiVo

ZeoTiVo I can't explain

Jan 2, 2004

they talked about goodies in store for the series 2 analog users that have no desire to go digital anytime soon. I think a program in desktop to do the conversion for toGoback would eb a cool goody.

and I already asked a neighbor tonight to see if he could hook me up with the latest vista. Time to explore that world as downloading content to a PC does appeal to me so when I put a series 3 in the house I am ready to roll. I have no wish to have my family use a PC for their main TV viewing though. :eek:

PS - I have all windows PCs and will have an Xbox 360 in the house before long so the Apple offerings are more market curiosity to me than decision making. they would have to offer something different I really wanted. now a video iPod - that has appeal to me though.

15. ZeoTiVo

ZeoTiVo I can't explain

Jan 2, 2004
    I meant laugh in a nice way ;)
    and I still say TiVo could not have put out such a good design in 2005. if they had rushed an HD box out it would not have had half the features of this one.

Plus I have no need to buy in until the price after rebate hits 400$. I have 4 TiVos now and so am covered on conflicts but I have to run around to schedule up new shows. :rolleyes: I am waiting on HD until prices on TVs fall more and HD lineups get better. So end of the year for HD for me at the soonest.

HD is just not worth big money to me, nor is it worth dealing with whatever the cable company decides to give me.

So they need to put it out so all the early, early folks snap it up and drive down the price some. :)

16. TiVoPhish

TiVoPhish New Member

Mar 12, 2003
    Long Island, NY
    Can't agree or disagree ;)... really just don't know. But I hope they get out of beta testing soon and release the darn thing!

You win! You are much more the junkie than me. My Series 2 has now been retired to the SD TV in my office (which has news on most of the time)... and I'll be battling with the 8300HD interface until HD TiVo hits the mass market (and I can afford it).

And that's where we differ. I've had an HD-Ready TV since 2001 and just got tired of waiting for TiVo.

The sooner, the better!

-- new post --

Don't worry, I'll keep you posted on the Apple front :eek: :D

Really though, in my house we're about 50/50 Windows/Apple. Got a G5, Mac Mini, Pentium 4 Desktop and two laptops (plus two other windows desktops not hooked up right now). I've got a Pentium 4 and G5 on my desk at work. I could equally be drawn to an Apple solution as much as a Microsoft one... though based on security, and ease of use, Apple might even be my first choice. If you haven't seen Front Row on the Mac check it out... it's very cool and you could see how it could translate into a HMC quite easily.

The Video iPod rocks... we've got two now. We're addicted to podcasts (both video ones and just audio ones) in our house. I'll be watching as their library of videos grow and seeing how this all plays out.

Got PSP too.

See TiVo? I'm a good beta tester, send me a TiVo Series 3! hehehehe