MCards in an S3?

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by buscuitboy, Dec 14, 2011.

1. buscuitboy

buscuitboy Member

Aug 8, 2005
    Atlanta area
    I currently have a Series 3 TiVo with two Comcast S-card cable cards in it. All has been working good & I was being charged $1.50 for each S-card. I recently switched cable TV packages. Basically went from an old promotion to a newer "double play" promotion. Well, I just got the bill and noticed they are now charging me 2 X $8.50 for my cable equipment.

I had a similar situation happen in the past and had to jump through some hoops to get Comcast to get these S-cards back to $1.50 each. Had to explain how they were BOTH for one TiVo box. For this incident, I went to my local office and tried to get them to make the change again, but they were unable to and informed me I need to contact the Comcast billing department over the phone. I did so and the agent I talked to had to "escalate" the issue to a supervisor and they will get back to me.

It got me to thinking and wondering if I could just use 2 M-cards in my Series 3 TiVo. I did some searching here and read the FAQ section. Found an area that stated this:

You can use MCards in an original Series 3 box, but they will only function as SCards (e.g. you will need two MCards in an S3 to get dual tuner support

Therefore, I guess I can. Its a long story why, but I'm also hoping that using M-cards will be easier for billing purposes (now & in the future).

However, I remember when my Series3 first got installed, a Comcast technician had to do it and the guy who came only had one M-Card. He tried to get it to work in my S3, but couldn't. They came back the next day with the 2 S-cards and all worked good.

I always thought M-cards wouldn't work based on this one experience, but does it require TWO M-cards to work in order to get ANY programming? Or can a Series3 run off one M-card and it was maybe just a fluke thing that mine didn't back then?

2. mr.unnatural

mr.unnatural Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2006
    Ellicott...
    M-cards will work fine. They're backwards compatible with equipment designed for S-cards. The Tivo will just see them as single-stream cards.

3. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay TCF Club

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    The original S3 must use 2 cable cards, no matter what type.
    The Tivo HD is a Series 3 but use 2 S or 1 M card.
    Premiere must use a M card because there is only 1 slot.
    FYI.

4. lrhorer

lrhorer Active Member

Aug 31, 2003
    San...
    Well, one can install a single card, but then one only has access to a single tuner.

5. Soapm

Soapm Active Member

May 9, 2007
    Aurora, CO
    Then all you'd need is double vision and you'd be all set... :up:

6. astrohip

astrohip Well-Known Raconteur TCF Club

Jan 6, 2003
    Houston/Bren...
    M-cards work fine. Here in Houston, Comcast only has Ms; they quit carrying Ss a couple years ago. I have four Ms in two original S3s.

Go for it!

7. V7Goose

V7Goose OTA ONLY and Loving It!

May 28, 2005
    New Mexico...
    M cards do not always work fine in an S3.

I had FiOS upgrade four S cards to M cards a few years ago, knowing that the S3 would still need two cards, but wanting to save one card in the THD box and the extra flexibility to move the cards around in my other devices.

Turned out they could not get the new M cards to receive premium channels in either the S3 or my Sony plasma TV (all of them worked fine in my THD). I'm not saying that someone with more knowledge could not have solved the problem, but it was easier to just tell them to bring three S cards back out - problem solved instantly as soon as the S cards were put back in.

8. kwik

kwik New Member

Feb 26, 2007
    ComCast has a dedicated line for Cable Card install:
    877-405-2298