Maybe RCN is figuring out Cable cards

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by tiassa, Jan 5, 2009.

1. tiassa

tiassa Me --Avatar

Jul 2, 2008

Advertisements

I just got a 2nd Tivo HD (to go with the new LCD that the Mrs bought for the Man Cave as an Xmas gift) and just got through getting RCN cable to install a cable card. It was about as painless as it could be. I called the customer service line and talked to someone who didn't really know the ins and outs of what she was doing, but I think that she was able to follow a script (or talk to a co-worker -- she put me on hold a couple of times) and managed to get the order done. I made an appointment for the installer (yeah I know I could have done it myself, but at least they didn't charge me for it), when he arrived he scanned the bar code on card with the PDA device he had, put the card in the correct slot, punched in some more numbers (presumably my account number or some such), told me "It may take about 20 minutes to get all the HD channels and you will have to let the tivo reboot" and then left. Total time in my house maybe 10 minutes. I rebooted the tivo, ran through guided setup, said "no" to the "Is channel NN station XX" until I was presented with the "Is your lineup Regular basic, Regular Basic extended, Digital Basic or Digital Basic Extended" and chose the latter. After a wait to get the guide data, everything ran just fine.

I figured I'd post this to give some props to RCN and express hope that CableCo installers are maybe getting wise to Tivos.

2. f1.fan.newyork

f1.fan.newyork New Member

Nov 30, 2008
    I second this. I just moved to a new apartment, and bought two new HDTV's and Tivo HD's at the same time. Setting up the order was easy and the operator seemed to know about cablecards. When the technician arrived I asked him if he had M-Cards and he immediately said he did. [so he knew what they were at had installed them before - both good signs!]. It actually took the guy about four hours to do the install because of some issues on his end with one of the TV's. In the end it worked out to be a duff coaxial cable but he stuck at it and got the problem resolved. I now have two Tivo HD's working great, picture is great, hooked up together receiving all regular and premium channels. RCN don't seem to have adopted SDV so no issues there either, and I have no issues with MRV other than HBO - so it appears RCN don't add the extra copy protection bits that so many others suffer from.

In fact the hardest part of this ordeal was working out not to go with TWC in the first place, and learning about SDV and MRV copy protection issues so I could avoid this. Many thanks to these forums for this.