May upgrade my Series 3 with a Premiere

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by Shanezam203, Jan 8, 2012.

1. Jan 8, 2012 #1 of 18
    Shanezam203

Shanezam203 Member

Jul 27, 2007
    Currently I have a Tivo Series 3 @ $6.95 a month, I have been thinking of upgrading to a Premiere lately I just haven't pulled the trigger yet.

They can apply the $6.95 to the Premiere which is nice, but the box is $200. I got them to throw in a slider remote. :up: I'm just not in a hurry to lose all the video's and recordings on my Series 3 + 1tb Western Digital drive. I will transfer over what I can using Tivo Desktop Manager + another Tivo in the house but that is 1 thing that is making the upgrade difficult and time consuming.

Anyone else Upgrade to the premiere from S3 HD and happy with it?
    Below are some advantages: what others are there compared to a Series 3?

• 1080 output
    • iPad app (not available on series 3)
    • Live TV in Now Playing/ guide
    • The new Tivo Search UI layout
    • Tew Tivo Updates coming to Premiere and not S3HD
    • Pace and Storage %
    • (free) slider remote offered
    • More recording space

2. Jan 9, 2012 #2 of 18
    sonicboom

sonicboom Member

Sep 2, 2006
    Boston
    They offered me the same deal... Same situation. I don't like the fact that they doubled the price of the premier, but the slider remote takes some of the sting out of it.

It's not a bargain deal, but not a bad option.

I'm still thinking about whether it's the best option for me (given the fact that my s3 power supply gave out).

3. Jan 9, 2012 #3 of 18
    steve614

steve614 what ru lookin at?

May 1, 2006
    Dallas, TX
    Wow, so as long as you pay full price for the Premiere, TiVo is letting you do a TSN swap?
    That's promising news.

4. Jan 9, 2012 #4 of 18
    aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    At $6.95 a month it's still a good deal. I hae one Premiere on the $6.95 plan and as long as they keep charging me that price I will keep it, but if they raise it then I will drop the box.

5. Jan 9, 2012 #5 of 18
    unitron

unitron Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    I think calling it a TSN swap is probably not quite accurate, it's probably more like swapping all the billing attributes attached to the TSN to another TSN.

The TSN is hardcoded in hardware. Up through the original S3 it was on an SMD crypto chip that could be moved from one motherboard to another.

Not easily, but do-able. I had to do it with an S2 DT to save 2TB of recordings.

After that it was on a BGA chip which is beyond the abilities of the homegamer to move.

If you actually moved an S3 platform unit's TSN to an S4 platform unit, that would open a big ol' can of radioactive worms.

6. Jan 9, 2012 #6 of 18
    Shanezam203

Shanezam203 Member

Jul 27, 2007
    YES only if I buy the Tivo for $200 through them. if I got one for $50 never used from a friend, that will not get my $6.95. SO, after I pay the $200 for the Premiere, then it's a good deal.

7. Jan 9, 2012 #7 of 18
    lillevig

lillevig Cold in East Iowa

Dec 6, 2010
    Marion, Iowa
    There is a thread on $99 lifetime that you might want to read. As I understand it, if you upgrade to a Premiere with lifetime and then call back to drop your other sub they might offer you a $99 lifetime on the S3. That being said, you could get the Premiere with lifetime (on your MSD) for $99 + $399 lifetime. Later get the $99 lifetime on the S3 and sell it. I would think you could get at least $300 for the S3 with lifetime and 1TB so your total cost would be about $300 for a Premiere with lifetime. Something to consider.

8. Jan 9, 2012 #8 of 18
    Shanezam203

Shanezam203 Member

Jul 27, 2007
    Can you find the thread? interesting I have 3 Tivo's, 2 with Lifetime, one at $6.95 MSD. I am looking to consolidate to 1 Premiere and sell the two Tivo Series 3 HD's.

• Tivo S2 w/ Lifetime (Keeping in Spare Bedroom to keep MSD)
    • Tivo S3 Lifetime (want to sell)
    • Tivo S3 $6.95 (sell box after upgrade to Premiere & keep $6.95 plan)

With that said, what are my best options for Premiere & the $6.95 monthly price point and selling my two Series 3 Tivo's? I only NEED 1 Tivo box, not 3.

9. Jan 9, 2012 #9 of 18
    unitron

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?t=475081

10. Shanezam203

Shanezam203 Member

Jul 27, 2007
    Thanks, that is my thread I started back in August. :up: was curious.

They are offering me the $99 lifetime for the Series 3 HD, it would be nice if that came with the $199 Premiere as an option too. Best option so far for the Premiere is $6.95 MSD but $199 for the box... :confused:

11. unitron

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    I think there's another thread around here about people who paid for 3 years in advance on an S3 HD when lifetime wasn't available getting that offer when the 3 years was about to run out, possible only if they called to cancel automatic renewal, but I can't remember the thread title.

It started a month or four before your August 2010 post.

12. steve614

steve614 what ru lookin at?

May 1, 2006
    Dallas, TX
    Back when swapping Tivos on an account plan was more the norm, I often heard it called a TSN swap.
    You are 'swapping' one TSN for another on a particular account plan.
    But you are right, in the future we will have to further define what we mean because 'TSN swap' has become more ambiguous.

Edit: BTW, I am familiar with run of the mill SMD, but what is BGA? Is that more like a processor chip where all of the connections are on the bottom instead of the sides?

13. unitron

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    Okay, that makes more sense, you're swapping out the TSN associated with a particular billing option on the account and swapping in a different TSN. Just a matter of perspective. I may have over "corrected" you.:eek:

14. lillevig

lillevig Cold in East Iowa

Dec 6, 2010
    Marion, Iowa

Ball Grid Array

15. unitron

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    Ball Grid Array is basically the same as a bunch of pins sticking down from the bottom of a chip, but instead of pins you've got balls of solder. The BGA chip is placed on the circuit board, which has little copper pads in the same pattern, and then one way or another heat is applied which melts the solder enough for it to stick to the pads and to the corresponding pads on the chip itself, connecting them electrically.

Some laptop type CPUs are like this, and at least one model had a big problem with any flexing of the circuit board breaking loose at least one of the connections, killing the laptop.

And resoldering them outside of the factory, and without its specialized equipment, is, I hear, no fun at all.

16. Shanezam203

Shanezam203 Member

Jul 27, 2007
    Transferring my media (that isnt copy protected) to my PC now. Then I am writing down movies that I can't transfer & see if I can find them in the new Premiere. Whouldn't it be nice if the External Drive was able to go to the new device with some media?

Why don't they allow you to move the External drive from Tivo to Tivo?

17. wmhjr

wmhjr Guest

Dec 1, 2007
    You need to define who you mean by "they". While there's enough blame for lots of things to go around, that is something that I can't blame tivo for. You can't do that with any DVRs. It's a copy protection/rights management issue to prevent having totally transportable content being moved from device to device. I absolutely agree that there should be a more reasonable solution but it's not Tivos fault.

18. Shanezam203

Shanezam203 Member

Jul 27, 2007
    Makes sense, it would be nice if I could take my 1tb external drive from my Series 3 HD and plug it into my new Premiere and access some of the recorded media... but it reformats every time it is plugged into a new box.