May be Returning to TIVO

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by flashesbuck, Jan 17, 2012.

1. flashesbuck

flashesbuck New Member

Nov 28, 2010
    Well its been about 4 weeks sense i closed my tivo account. I was frustrated with always having missing channels from time warner and there stupid cable card and tuning adapter never working correctly. I received most of my channels but not all of them on my tivo Premier.
    Well let me tell you guys, i have had it with Time Warner's crappy sorry excuse of a DVR. Ugh that thing is a POS compared to the Tivo. I have 20 hours of record time with no option to add more space.

Well anyway its a good thing i held onto my premier and didn't sell it right away. This thing will be cheaper than building an HTPC and be easyer to get working and be more reliable than any MythTV box i could build.

Would like to add a hardrive to the Tivo so i can get some better record time.... i would like to get at least 100+ hours of hd content on there. And i think i will try to run 2 TVs off of it also, anyone know if the Component and HDMI hook ups are live at the same time or will i need an HDMI splitter.

2. rainwater

rainwater Active Member

Sep 21, 2004
    It really depends on the TV. Some tvs will allow the component connection to work on another device when connected with hdmi and some won't. You will just have to test and see. Otherwise, you will have to split the component cable which will not have hdcp issues.

3. magnus

magnus Tivo User

Nov 12, 2004
    Texas
    My Premiere pushes out to my TV (HDMI) and my Slingbox (Component) at the same time.

4. bradleys

bradleys It'll be fine....

Oct 31, 2007
    Yes, they are live at the same time. But since you still have your premier you can test the setup yourself - no need for service.

5. rainwater

rainwater Active Member

Sep 21, 2004
    Some tvs connected via hdmi will disable the component connection on the TiVo unless the tv is powered on.

6. mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    Don't you really mean: The TIVO will output "HDCP not supported" (on all outputs) if the TV isn't on/on the HDMI input, if you're trying to use the component at the same time?

7. xberk

xberk Member

Dec 3, 2011
    Easy to add 2TB (317 hours of HD) to your Premiere. Buy a pre-formatted drive, unscrew the box, unplug old drive (save it), plug in new drive and close up the box .. I bought 2 of theses drives, one for each of my Premieres .. both working great !

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BRAND-NEW-TiVo-Premiere-XL-2TB-Hard-Drive-Upgrade-Kit-/220707239250?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item33632d3552

8. flashesbuck

flashesbuck New Member

Nov 28, 2010

Ya i seen these, looks like what i will do.

Now, you guys are saying the when the HDMI is plugged in the TV will disable the Component video out? This seams odd?

9. crxssi

crxssi Veteran TiVo User

Apr 5, 2010
    It is possible. Welcome to the world of DRM. If you have an HDCP connection, they don't want you to be able to attempt to record a high-quality image through an analog source.