Maxtor Diamondmax & Series 2...

Discussion in 'TiVo Upgrade Center' started by Chip Moody, Sep 14, 2005.

1. Chip Moody

Chip Moody New Member

Nov 3, 2004

Advertisements

Hey everybody... Haven't been here in a while - upgraded my Series 1 several years back, and now it's time for Tivo #2.

I've got a brand new 200 Gig Diamondmax drive that it turns out I >don't< need for a computer project, and as luck would have it, a friend that is giving me his 40 Gig Tivo-brand series 2 Tivo. (It's about a year old)

I'm considering making this 200 Gig drive the only drive in this unit - I'm assuming I can hook it and the stock 40 Gig drive to my PC and run utilities that'll make the 200 a functional "A" drive? Anything I should look out for or be aware of?

Thanks,
    - Chip

2. azitnay

azitnay Active Member

Jan 20, 2003
    Washington,...
    Just be sure you have TiVo software version 5.x or higher, and that you use one of the LBA48-compatible boot CDs.

Drew

3. BobCamp1

BobCamp1 Well-Known Member

May 15, 2002
    DiamondMax 10 drives don't seem to work in Tivos. It needs to be Diamondmax 9 drive or earlier.

4. Chip Moody

Chip Moody New Member

Nov 3, 2004
    Ya' gotta be kidding me... :(

Okay, how 'bout a 250 Gig Maxtor MaXLine Plus II (7Y250P0)

Thanks,

- Chip

5. fredfillis

fredfillis Linuxly Challenged

Sep 25, 2002
    DC Area

Advertisements

Check this thread for a start.

6. BobCamp1

May 15, 2002
    Well, I think it will work. The only way to know is to try it! Please let me know if it works.

7. Chip Moody

Chip Moody New Member

Nov 3, 2004
    Okay, I'm getting that drive ready to try, so I'll let you know how it works out.

I just took posession of the Tivo itself this morning. It's a TCD24004A, running version 7 of the software.

Do I need to worry about the size of the hard drive I put in to this unit? I thought all series 2 units could handle drives larger than 120 megs, but a few things I've read here have me concerned...

Thanks for all the help everyone. I'm not exactly a n00b, but I guess I feel pretty close to it.

- Chip

8. BobCamp1

May 15, 2002
  9. Chip Moody

Chip Moody New Member

Nov 3, 2004
    Well, I'm honestly suprised that from the time I took the screws off the back of my Tivo to the time I had it in place in my bedroom and all hooked up was under two hours. That included taking the 40 gig drive out, doing the transfer from it to the 250 gig, then putting everything back.

So far so good - thanks for the help!!

- Chip

10. ashu

ashu User title defunct

Nov 8, 2002
    MD
    So I'm assuming you DIDN'T bother trying the DiamondMax 10 (200GB) drive? I'm looking at getting a 100GB drive in that series to rescue a dying B drive in a 120_80 configuration on my 240xxxx.

11. Chip Moody

Chip Moody New Member

Nov 3, 2004
    Correct - on the advice of Bob Camp, I went with the 250 gig drive instead of the DM10. (And hey, the extra 50 gigs doesn't hurt) :)

- Chip

12. ashu

ashu User title defunct

Nov 8, 2002
    MD
    Durn and dingjam it :)
    I picked up the $20 100 Gigger anyway. It'll go into a PC< and I'll see whether my DRT800's rescued (it has a 300 Seagate now) 80Gigger has enough bits for a DD from the failing drive :) It's 5400RPM and 2MB cache, so it *should* run nice and cool. Hopefully.

13. spursnut

spursnut New Member

Sep 27, 2005
    So does anyone have actual evidence of someone attempting to use the Diamondmax in a Series2? (Not doubting you, BobCamp1, I just want to know that someone actually tried it and failed). I'd like to buy that 100/120 GB Maxtor that's on sale now... :)

14. ashu

ashu User title defunct

Nov 8, 2002
    MD
    I bought it anyway. If I can't dd my dying 80 to a spare 80GB I have lying around, then I'll be trying this one. I'm hoping the former option works, however, as my other drive in this 2-drive unit is another 120Gb Maxtor DM 9 power-sucker. I have a feeling, that even with a PowerTrip delaying the spin up on these two, the pair will draw more juice than my Power Supply can handle.

15. snoop

snoop Member

Oct 9, 2002
    I returned my diamondmax 200GB that I couldnt get to work in a directivo R10. Seagate 160GB worked fine. The maxtor gave me "Not recorded - no signal" when playing a recording, then would play it. Menus were slow. Had unrepeating stuttering on playback. Would reboot itself every couple of days. Very strange.

16. spursnut

spursnut New Member

Sep 27, 2005
    OK, so I contacted Maxtor about DiamondMax10 / Series2. Here's their reply:

Thank you for sending your MAXTOR E-mail inquiry.

Maxtor DiamondMax 10 drives can be used in DVRs and there are no incompatibility issues, but our normal drives are not optimized for digital video recording. If you wish to get a Maxtor drive to add to your DVR, I suggest getting one of our QuickView drives. The best place I've found to purchase our QuickView drives is the following link.

(link to weaknees)

17. Kevin L

Kevin L Active Member

Jan 10, 2002
    Gulf Cove, FL
    From what I understand, the DM10 drives either don't have AAM or at least you can't use AMSET to change it to quiet. The DM9 drives work fine, and if set to quiet, are great in a TiVo. Not set to quiet, though, they are very loud when seeking, which is almost always.

18. johnsmithtivo

johnsmithtivo New Member

Dec 29, 2004
    Amset worked for me for both DiamondMax 10 and DiamondMax 9 Plus just a couple days ago. I have one of each in my TiVo -- so far, so good.

19. Kevin L

Kevin L Active Member

Jan 10, 2002
    Gulf Cove, FL
    That's good to hear that amset works on the DM10s, too, John. Without AAM set to quiet, these drives are way too noisy for a DVR.

20. buddhawood

buddhawood Member

Oct 9, 2000
    Anderson,...
    I tried a DM10 160GB drive in BOTH a S1 & S2 and it would not work, it would stutter every 2 seconds or so. Dropped in WD and Seagate without ANY problems in the same units. Maxtor may say they work but there are alot of us who tried and they don't.