Max size Hard Drive for Series2? Humax?

Discussion in 'TiVo Upgrade Center' started by JoeTrojan, Jan 15, 2006.

1. JoeTrojan

JoeTrojan New Member

Dec 27, 2001

Advertisements

I upgraded my series 1 with 2 80gB drives (way back when that was montrous).

I upgraded my DirecTiVo with 2 120 gB drives when that was the biggest TiVo's could support.

Now I am seeing Hinsdale selling 160Gb and bigger drives. Is there something new about the New Tivo's that let them recognize more that 127Gb (or whatever size it was)?

I have an early model Series 2 (actually my friends do) that I want to upgrade...and would love to also upgrade my Humax DVD-R unit.

Any limitations on drive size for either??

Thanks

2. funtoupgrade

funtoupgrade New Member

Mar 15, 2005
    nope!

3. JoeTrojan

JoeTrojan New Member

Dec 27, 2001
    Is there a different "How to" FAQ that discusses the new (un)limitations?

Is teh new Hinsdale CD all I need?

4. classicsat

classicsat Astute User

Feb 18, 2004
    Ontario Canada.
    There is no FAQ I know of.

Basically and TiVo with a service number beginning with 5 or higher has "hardware" LBA48 (at the prom level), and any software versions 5 or higher have LBA48 "software" at the kernel level.

Any drive with a nominal capacity above 274GB + original capacity requires larger allocation blocks, which you invoke with the -r4 option when you expand.

You also need a larger swap.

5. jgsx

jgsx New Member

Jan 22, 2006

Advertisements

My TiVo service number is 240-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx and my software version is 7.2.1
    I currently have two 120gb drives in, but want to swap for two 300gb+ drives.
    Since my service number starts with a 2, not a 5, will it work?

6. blindlemon

blindlemon tivoheaven.co.uk

May 12, 2002
    Malmesbury, UK
    What the man said :)

My UK TiVo has a serice number of 023[...] but with the 'patched' LBA48 kernel installed I can use drives up to 500GB :D:D

If you have software version 7.x then you already have the LBA48 kernel officially so you don't even need the patch.

7. mick66

mick66 Dirty Burger

Oct 15, 2004
    The 'verse
    Right now you are limited to the largest HD you can go out ( or order online) and buy. A non dvd unit has space for two HDs so the limit is currently 1000GB or roughly 1300 hours.

8. blindlemon

blindlemon tivoheaven.co.uk

May 12, 2002
    Malmesbury, UK
    For S2 machines that seems to be the case. Not sure if anybody has managed to get 2x500GB drives working in an S1 yet though....

9. jgsx

jgsx New Member

Jan 22, 2006
    So since I've already upgraded my tivo with two 120s, and I have a 240-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx, and want to put in two 400gb drives, how do I go about that? The procedures that I found assume that you start with the virgin tivo drive that it came with

10. classicsat

classicsat Astute User

Feb 18, 2004
    Ontario Canada.
    You have to essentially start from square one as if you have a stock TiVo.

11. jgsx

jgsx New Member

Jan 22, 2006
    But I no longer have the drive that it came with, I only have the upgraded drives

12. HomeUser

HomeUser Active Member

Jan 12, 2003
    A2 Michigan
    Make a backup from the dual drive system with MFSTools include the -s and -f 9999 options in mfsbackup. with that backup you can then re-upgrade to a new larger single or dual drive you just cannot keep the recordings.

13. ThreeSoFar

ThreeSoFar FourNow...WaitFive

May 24, 2002
    Baltimore
    You want the new Hinsdale HOWTO, which has a link to one of two boot CDs--the LBA 48 boot CD will recognize the larger drives.