Masters of Science Fiction "The Discarded" 08/26/2007 ***SPOILERS***

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by pkscout, Aug 28, 2007.

1. pkscout

pkscout Well-Known Member

Jan 10, 2003
    Honolulu, HI
    This was the last one, right? Man did they pick some stinkers. This one was so slow I couldn't believe they had gone half an hour and gotten nowhere with the plot, and then the end was so absolutely predictable. More so given that they have picked stories with "surprise" endings that aren't surprising but more like predictably depressing.

Even if there is one more I'm deleting my season pass. Then I'm going to take a shower.

2. dswallow

dswallow Save the ModeratŠ¾r TCF Club

Dec 3, 2000
    Long...
    That's it. We're safe... at least until someone gets the bright idea to release the two they thought weren't good enough to air.

Which, considering the network execs typical thought processes these days, probably will turn out to be the two best, by far.

3. WinBear

WinBear Konner Kringle

Aug 24, 2000
    Carrollton,...
    I even came up with an alternate ending that was basically the same or worse.

Since they were first generation RIGM victims, wouldn't they have been contaminated when Jamie Denton, a second gen victim, boarded their vessel?

4. Church AV Guy

Church AV Guy Active Member

Jan 19, 2005
    high desert...
    I really had some hopes for this one, having Ellison write the story it was taken from, and participated in the screenplay. It even had some very good actors Brian, Jamie (Mr. Lyle) and John Hurt. This was so predictable, so awful, I found myself feeling sorry for the actors, not the characters.

They gave their blood BEFORE leaving the ship! That HAS to be the most brain-dead move for a guy with two brains I have ever seen. You go back to Earth, you get settled, THEN you start to give your blood. Sheesh!

This show and Flash Gordon on the SciFi channel are in a race to see who can do the worst. I'm now convinced that by watching either of them, I'm the loser.

5. pkscout

Jan 10, 2003
    Honolulu, HI
    I figured the discarded would either get screwed or Earth would blow up their ship. Why they didn't negotiate for the land and get settled before giving their blood is beyond me.

So, I'm assuming the new passengers were people who weren't curable for some reason? Or maybe just a stupid plot device we aren't suppose to question so that pretty boy could look pained at the end?

6. WinBear

WinBear Konner Kringle

Aug 24, 2000
    Carrollton,...
    Even if you had to stay in isolation, get the ship landed before giving blood.

7. JYoung

JYoung Series 3

Jan 16, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Ellison also had a small acting part in this and the episode was directed by Jonathan Frakes.

And I agree that it was a disappointment.
    (And what was up with that jazz score?)

8. dianebrat

dianebrat wait.. I did what? TCF Club

Jul 6, 2002
    boston'ish
    I'll say this tho, in the the 4 episodes, I was very impressed with the quality of the image, the sets, the fx.

unfortunately not always the stories or the acting..

9. pkscout

Jan 10, 2003
    Honolulu, HI
    I saw all that and still figured it would stink. I was, unfortunately, right. The "star" quality has been pretty good, and even the performances have been OK. But the stories are the worst of the worst.

I'm almost afraid to admit it, but I think the first episode was actually the "best" one.

10. ElJay

ElJay Active Member

Apr 6, 2005
    I gave this episode about 15 minutes and then deleted it. I'm amazed I made it through the previous episodes.

11. nataylor

nataylor Curiously Strong TCF Club

Apr 26, 2000
    Houston, TX
    Totally agree. While I was watching this, I thinking it was SUCH a shame that all this good makeup was being waisted on this story.

12. latrobe7

latrobe7 What, me worry?

May 1, 2005
    Orange...
    Yeah, no kidding, it reminded me of a Charlie Brown special!

13. newsposter

newsposter Poster of News

Aug 18, 2002
    SE PA
    i must have missed this part so can someone tell me why you would want to go back to earth when the guy said it not only is spreading all over earth (inferring destruction of planet), but that it is more rapid? I took that to mean onset and progression and death is more rapid so i figured why go somewhere to die more quickly?

14. bdlucas

bdlucas Right side up again.

Feb 15, 2004
    Exurbia
    Predictable as the plot was, I thought it was still an enjoyable watch for the makeup and the morbidly fascinating grotesque deformities. Plot -1, acting 0, special effects +1. Which puts it a couple points ahead of a typical Star Trek original series. :)

15. PJO1966

PJO1966 Hi. What is this?

Mar 5, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    It didn't go with the story at all, but I thought the music was the best thing about this episode.

16. newsposter

newsposter Poster of News

Aug 18, 2002
    SE PA
    did you see the internal organs 'move' when she twisted. The jumpsuit thingie was just a tad too obvious with the wrinkles.

i dont mind cheesy on usa or sci fi but i thought abc would do a tad better :)