Masters of Science Fiction, "Jerry Was a Man" 08/19/2007 ***SPOILERS***

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by pkscout, Aug 20, 2007.

1. pkscout

pkscout Well-Known Member

Jan 10, 2003
    Honolulu, HI
    That was quite possibly the absolute worst piece of television I have seen in my entire life. The acting was bad, the story was bad, everything was bad. I'm really glad ABC didn't pick this piece of garbage up.

I knew it was going to be crap when I saw it was based on a Robert Heinlein short story. I read Stranger in a Strange Land and, unlike every other human being I think, I absolutely hated it. And this had every mark of that same kind of crap.

I think I'll go watch Flash Gordon again to remember what quality TV looks like. :p

2. WinBear

WinBear Konner Kringle

Aug 24, 2000
    Carrollton,...
    I didn't like this one as much as the other two.

3. wmcbrine

wmcbrine Well-Known Mumbler

Aug 2, 2003
    I thought it was much better than the first two, which were kind of cliched. And how can you not love the elephant?

I'd describe the acting as more broad than bad. This ep was meant to be funny, and I thought it was.

P.S. As far as it being picked up, they keep advertising the next ep as the "Season Finale" not the "Finale" or "Series Finale". Kinda makes me think they do intend to bring it back? :confused:

4. Sacrilegium

Sacrilegium that weird guy

Dec 14, 2006
    I didn't see the first one, but I thought it was better than the second. Still not great, but better than the second one.

5. Rob Helmerichs

Rob Helmerichs I am Groot! TCF Club

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    Well, that's not entirely fair. Heinlein had two distinct (and long) phases to his career; Stranger in a Strange Land marks the beginning of the second phase. To my mind, the first phase is marked by carefully-plotted, rigorously thought-out stories, and the second by what I call Middle-Aged Hippie Syndrome--when older people thought there was something vaguely cool about the Beat/Hippies lifestyle without actually knowing anything about it. In Heinlein's case, he abandoned everything good about his writing without actually replacing it with something else.

You may get the impression I prefer his first phase...

6. catcard

catcard MoxiDVR

Mar 2, 2001
    Honey...
    This one was the first episode I had seen. I guess there was not much advertising for this short series. I was not impressed with this one at all. I have the last one set to record so I guess I will see how that is.

I am a big SciFi fan but this was just lame to me.

7. WinBear

WinBear Konner Kringle

Aug 24, 2000
    Carrollton,...
    I thought there were supposed to be 6 or 8 of these, not just 4.

8. Rob Helmerichs

Rob Helmerichs I am Groot! TCF Club

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    There were six made, and then put on the shelf. When ABC pulled them off the shelf to burn, they only planned to show four.

The network president (I believe) recently complained about the uneven quality of the shows. If these were the four best, I can see why they decided not to show them all...

9. Bill Reeves

Bill Reeves Lurker

Jul 17, 2002
    San Carlos, CA
    Six episodes were made, but only four are being broadcast by ABC.

10. trainman

trainman Nice to see you

Jan 29, 2001
    Sherman...
    What, no love for Anne Heche's interesting hairstyles? :D

11. balboa dave

balboa dave well rounded

Jan 19, 2004
    Newport...
    Here's a link to the original story, written in 1947. Discuss.

12. pkscout

Jan 10, 2003
    Honolulu, HI
    I had no idea he had two phases. Stranger in a Strange Land is always touted as his quintessential work, and after I read it I swore off Heinlein all together. Maybe I'll check out pre-Stranger stuff. This episode definitely had the feel of the hippie/beatnick stuff.

13. 5thcrewman

5thcrewman Active Member

Sep 22, 2003
    NW
    I read 'Cities in Space' and never read anything else by him

14. dswallow

dswallow Save the ModeratŠ¾r TCF Club

Dec 3, 2000
    Long...
    I think the elephant said more about the guy than it did about the elephant. And I think that was the point.

And if I were the 7th richest person in the world, chances would be pretty good I could've bought Jerry from the dog food company... or bought the dog food company itself. But apparently people in the top 10 richest category aren't supposed to have brain cells in the future. :)

15. ClutchBrake

ClutchBrake Pass the gravy!

Sep 5, 2001
    Orange...
    Finally, I'm not alone!!! :up:

16. Redux

Redux No intent to annoy

Oct 19, 2004
    Bob and Virginia are ROFL, in their graves, at the notion of Heinlein as hippie, middle-aged or not. After SIASL, real hippies used to make the pilgrimage to kneel before the master, and the confrontation between Goldwater-conservative Heinlein and the flower children was quite amusing, according to Virginia's recollections.

Heinlein made his living during most of the early-middle part of his career from "juveniles." While he wrote adult stories as well during this phase, he did not stray too far from an image that the grade school librarians could be confortable with. His wilder sexual tendencies, there from day one, were held in check quite deliberately.

By your theory of his career, his very first novel, unpublished until recently, falls into his middle aged hippie phase as you describe it (during which BTW he was "old," pretty much past middle age by any standard). Doesn't work.

What you may be confused by is the fact that Bob was very ill, mind-numbingly ill, during some portions of the writing of a few of his later novels (he had recovered by the time of "Friday") and the novels during the period are too long and unwieldy. The editing was uncoordinated, sometimes virtually non-existent (Ginny tried to edit one herself, not her proudest moment). It is not the subject matter or the long, freer style he had adopted, but the fact that the works as published are essentially drafts.

17. pkscout

Jan 10, 2003
    Honolulu, HI
    I honestly thought I was watching Idiocracy for a minute.

18. dianebrat

dianebrat wait.. I did what? TCF Club

Jul 6, 2002
    boston'ish
    oddball late Heinlein worth a quick and painless read would be Glory Road, and very unlike Stranger, much more "approachable" I always felt that it was a bit closer to his earlier work. (it has a few heavy handed sections.. but they were tolerable)

It's also been a few years since I read it and I could be completely off-base.. it's been known to happen

Diane

19. Redux

Redux No intent to annoy

Oct 19, 2004
    Heinlein wrote from roughly 1939 (short stories, first published novel in 1947) to his death in 1988. Glory Road was written in 1963.

It is very interesting blend of his "juvenile" style brushing on more adult themes. But clearly an early work, on balance, if you buy into this "phases" stuff at all.

Heinlein spoke of it as fun to write, and he had no problems with the idea of some of his older Boy Scout readers (he wrote for Boy's Life, among others) sneaking a look.

20. taronga

taronga Member

Nov 15, 2006
    KY
    My TiVo didn't record this episode because it was "no longer in the program guide," so I figured ABC must have cancelled it early.