Masterpiece Classic on PBS

Discussion in 'Season Pass Alerts' started by JohnDG, Sep 24, 2016.

1. JohnDG

JohnDG Member

Oct 28, 2004

Advertisements

I've been using a season pass for "Masterpiece Classic" on PBS to pick up varying series over the years. Lately it has been recording "Indian Summers."

I now notice that starting October 2nd that the series episodes are called "Indian Summers on Masterpiece," require a new season pass, and have a First Aired date based on the U.K. showing, so it requires a season pass that includes repeats.

Jdg

2. CraigK

CraigK (unspecified)

Jun 9, 2006
    North of...
    Thanks for the reminder.

I'll have to redo my season passes for the Masterpiece shows to adjust for the new Rovi way of doing guide data. I used to just delete the shows I didn't want to watch, but that won't work anymore.

I just subscribed to email notifications on the Masterpiece web site to remind when the various shows start so I can create specific season passes for the ones I want.

3. sinanju

sinanju Active Member

Jan 3, 2005
    The Rovi change has screwed up even old recordings on my TiVo. I had a Masterpiece Mystery folder with the three episodes from the last series of Wallander in it. When I went into the folder, I only saw one recording. I backed out, tried again, and got the same result. After a reboot, I had a single recording for Masterpiece Mystery! that was the first episode, then a folder for Wallendar on Masterpiece with the other two.

When I complained to support about other Rovi data problems like "TBA", I just got back a canned "repeat guided setup" response.

Asshats.

The "XXXX on Masterpiece" is going to cause serious problems for those of us interested in all Masterpiece Mysteries, Classics, Contemporaries or what have you.

4. lpwcomp

lpwcomp Well-Known Member

May 6, 2002
    John's...
    The claim is that this is the way PBS is doing it.

5. srewolf

srewolf New Member

Mar 21, 2015

Advertisements

What has worked well for us is to set up a Wishlist (old tivo) for any show with title word "Masterpiece". It is really nice to have them all collected together in a single folder (like they were in the days when the only title in use was "Masterpiece Theater", before they started fragmenting their offerings with separate titles "Contemporary", "Mystery", etc.).

Every once in a while, some other show comes along with "masterpiece" in the title, but it is not very often, and it is easy enough to delete. (Usually I filter them out before they're even recorded, by scanning the To Do List.)

6. lpwcomp

May 6, 2002
    John's...
    If you want to limit it to just Mysteries, add "Mystery" as a keyword.

Another oddity in the data - for non-mysteries such as "Poldark on Masterpiece", one of the keywords is "Consumer". WTF does that mean?

7. taronga

taronga Member

Nov 15, 2006
    KY
    I've been using "on masterpiece" with the new data, plus keywords to exclude the series I don't want. Has worked great so far.

8. laria

laria Librocubicularist

Sep 7, 2000
    Seacoast, NH
    Ugh. I haven't been getting any of this season of Indian Summers, I guess now I know why. :( Comcast shows it with this name change, too, so this isn't just a Rovi thing.

9. laria

laria Librocubicularist

Sep 7, 2000
    Seacoast, NH
    Annoying. Searching for "Indian Summers" didn't even turn up anything, I had to do the wish list search. No repeats to be found, so now I have to wait until it turns up on streaming to get the first two eps.

10. sar840t2

sar840t2 Member

Mar 1, 2003
    Edmonds,...
    Soap opera maybe? :-D

11. sinanju

sinanju Active Member

Jan 3, 2005
    Then this change has been retroactively applied to a subset of existing recordings rendering some of those recordings invisible in their folder structure and elsewhere in the My Shows listing until a reboot.

I'll stick with my "******" assessment.

This isn't just a titling issue as indicated above.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2016
  12. lpwcomp

May 6, 2002
    John's...
    I know that. I had my "Masterpiece Mystery" 1P changed to "Endeavor on Masterpiece".

13. laria

laria Librocubicularist

Sep 7, 2000
    Seacoast, NH
    My old recordings seem unaffected. I still have a bunch of recordings from last season of Indian Summers and they are in a folder called Masterpiece Classic on my Roamio. The old 1P are "Masterpiece", which I guess must have changed to drop the Classic, and "Masterpiece Mystery!"

The air date thing seems to have been fixed, though, at least for Indian Summers. When I set up the new 1P for "Indian Summers on Masterpiece", it was originally set to new only, and it was showing that it would record last night and next week.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2016
  14. Steve

Steve TiVowner since 1999

Apr 23, 2003
    White...
    Same here. My playlist folder containing 2 Sherlocks has that title.

15. laria

laria Librocubicularist

Sep 7, 2000
    Seacoast, NH
    I am pretty bummed about this change. I had to manually go and delete a lot of series that I didn't want (or probably more accurately that I probably would have wanted/enjoyed, but didn't start watching at the beginning), but if not for the way it was set up before, I would have never started watching Indian Summers in the first place.

Now I will have to remember to manually go check the new "On Masterpiece" wish list that I set up periodically.

16. mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    You can watch it on the PBS app on AppleTV, iPad, etc. (and presumably many other products, I just haven't used those other ones).. I used it last year to watch these while at the gym.. IIRC, it only had one or two ads BEFORE the show and after the show.. Still more ads than I want, but less pain than trying to make the !@$# Tivo app actually successfully download a show (which is torture since it's so broken).

17. laria

laria Librocubicularist

Sep 7, 2000
    Seacoast, NH
    I've actually still got 6 episodes to watch from last season, so it'll be a while before I get around to these. :eek: Hopefully they are still there. :D

18. mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    They expire from the PBS app I think around a month after airing.. Though I seem to remember the PBS app giving you a way to 'subscribe' which may give you longer.

19. javabird

javabird Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2006
    Seattle
    Has anyone tried the subscription to the app? Does it give you the back catalog of shows like what HBO does?

20. laria

laria Librocubicularist

Sep 7, 2000
    Seacoast, NH
    I was streaming Amazon Prime for free on Jetblue yesterday, and noticed I had Poldark in my list, which reminded me I have most PBS stuff available to me on Prime. :eek: I just checked and S1 of Indian Summers is on there, so by the time I'm ready to watch S2, I'm sure it will be up. :D