Master of None S01E02 "Parents" (Netflix)

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by Robin, Nov 10, 2015.

1. Robin

Robin Impolite arrogant woman

Dec 6, 2001
    Southwestern...

Advertisements

I haven't watched it yet, but discuss away!

2. billypritchard

billypritchard Embiggener

May 7, 2001
    St. Louis, MO
    I've watched it.

3. billypritchard

May 7, 2001
    St. Louis, MO
    :p

4. billypritchard

May 7, 2001
    St. Louis, MO
    This was a pretty cool episode, since Dev's parents really were played by Aziz Ansari's parents. That meant their acting was generally pretty terrible, but it also made it feel very real.

I also liked the Black Virus movie bits.

5. Zevida

Zevida witless and unarmed TCF Club

Nov 8, 2003
    San Jose, CA

Advertisements

When Dev was auditioning for the black virus movie in the coffee shop I was dying. That was maybe the funniest thing in the whole show for me. When the guy is walking out and Dev yells something like "no, don't go!" and he stops, it was awesome. This just slayed me.

I thought the montages of the parents growing up poor and rough in their home countries was great, and then juxtaposed against each kid whining about going to the 15th X-Men movie.

6. Robin

Dec 6, 2001
    Southwestern...
    Yes, loved the door in the coffee shop. It's too late! Lock the door!

I liked how getting the parents together was what got them talking. I find the same thing happens when my parents and in laws are together. I learn more that way.

7. Zevida

Zevida witless and unarmed TCF Club

Nov 8, 2003
    San Jose, CA
    Aziz Ansari posted this on Facebook. Awwww, and, can I be his and his dad's best friend?

8. Robin

Dec 6, 2001
    Southwestern...
    That's really sweet.

For me proximity has played a huge role in our relationships with our parents. Both sets moved to our area in the last few years. Even more notable than our relationships with our parents is our kids'. It's really incredible to see how excited the kids get over seeing their grandparents, especially the baby. When they would visit when Thing 1 was two it took her a day or two to relearn who they are and warm up. Now when they show up the baby starts yelling their names and runs to the door.

I can't really envision a scenario where my four kids, as adults, and I all live in the same area but I'd really love for it to happen.

My son's preschool has a "thanksgiving feast" where the kids help prep did and they invite all family. My crew is going to take over the room! The big girls will be out of school already so we'll have the six of us plus four grandparents.

9. whitson77

whitson77 Active Member

Nov 10, 2002
    This was my favorite episode of the season. The parent flashbacks made me laugh and when it flicked to their crappy kid's reaction to a simple request it cracked me up.

This is a very well done show!

10. gossamer88

gossamer88 UHDTV Snob

Jul 26, 2005
    Da Bronx
    OK, I liked this one. Although his mom's bad acting took me out of the scene every time.

I LOL when he was served his "pet" chicken!

11. teknikel

teknikel Member

Jan 27, 2002
    Baltimore
    I don't think the acting is that bad. I know of one Indian mother who spoke and acted very similar.

12. Steveknj

Steveknj Lost in New Joisey TCF Club

Mar 10, 2003
    New Jersey
    I'm just getting around to watching this series. I watched E1 and wasn't overwhelmed. Typical plot done a million times, non-parent gets to watch friend's kids and they step all over him. But this episode....I'm sold. That may have been one of the best comedy episodes I've seen in a long time. From the opening scenes where he's talking to his dad about his audition and the dad just wants him to help him with his phone!! And the dinner with both sets of parents, and the difference in cultures, just great!! I'll probably wind up binging the rest over the weekend.

And I didn't realize that was REALLY his parents!! They were so natural acting.

13. cmontyburns

cmontyburns Excellent.

Nov 14, 2001
    Houston, TX
    That episode won the Emmy last year for best writing in a comedy series.

Keep going. You may have a hard time picking a favorite episode by the end of the first season. There's a ton of gold in there.

14. BrettStah

BrettStah Well-Known Member TCF Club

Nov 12, 2000
    San Antonio
    You're the first person I've ever heard say that. :p

(The consensus is their acting skills are, to be charitable, not very good).

15. Steveknj

Mar 10, 2003
    New Jersey
    The consensus is wrong :) Obviously they aren't pros, but you could feel the connection between parent and son, at least with the Indians (definitely less so with the Chinese). I was watching with my son and he asked if those were his real parents because they seemed natural together.

16. ClutchBrake

ClutchBrake Pass the gravy!

Sep 5, 2001
    Orange...
    Agreed. They aren't great actors but they are perfect in their roles. For me, at least.

17. Steveknj

Mar 10, 2003
    New Jersey
    It will be hard to top this one, but I'm looking forward to more. I can definitely see why it won an Emmy. Might rewatch with my wife before moving on. I think she's like it.

18. DevdogAZ

DevdogAZ Give 'em Hell, Devils

Apr 16, 2003
    Arizona
    Agreed. The father especially comes off as if he's trying too hard to be "cool."

19. JohnB1000

JohnB1000 Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2004
    They were great, and it's a comedy show.

20. madscientist

madscientist Deregistered Snoozer

Nov 12, 2003
    Lexington, MA
    Well, but... that's not acting! The connection is real: they are parent and son.

The acting part of these scenes are definitely not great. They are endearing, but... not great actors. A fantastic episode though, absolutely no question.