Mash - TV Land marathon

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by DianaMo, May 27, 2011.

1. DianaMo

DianaMo Cubs fan

Oct 22, 2003
    TV Land is hosting a Mash marathon this weekend.

http://www.tvland.com/tv-schedule/mash

Also scheduled (but not on the above webpage)

M*A*S*H: 30th Anniversary Reunion Special
    Mon 5/30 1:00 AM Central TVLAND (Cbl) 2 hours No rating

Memories of M*A*S*H
    Sun 5/29 5:00 AM TVLAND (Cbl) 1 hour, 30 minutes No rating

5/30/11 07:00 PM "Goodbye, Farewell and Amen"

TVLAND

2. BeanMeScot

BeanMeScot Sci-Fi Junkie

Apr 17, 2002
    Atlanta, GA
    What a great show! That's one I watched until the end. I have seen the episodes so many times I used to use turn one on as I was going to sleep. I didn't have to see it to know exactly what was going on.

3. mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    They're on DVD, why watch hacked up syndicated versions, when you can easily watch the *full* episodes? I wouldn't be surprised if they cut out 5 minutes of each show.

4. YCantAngieRead

YCantAngieRead Not Entirely Current

Nov 5, 2003
    I watched every episode a few years ago. Great show.

5. Peter000

Peter000 Well-Known Member TCF Club

Apr 15, 2002
    Red Wing, MN
    Thanks for the heads up! Looking forward to the retrospectives.

6. stargazer21

stargazer21 Active Member

May 22, 2002
    Hockey...
    Awesome! Thanks for the heads up. I couldn't sleep and was looking for something good to watch.

7. omnibus

omnibus cowboy, yee-ha

Sep 25, 2001
    Lost in Wyoming
    I still love the McLean Stevenson eps the best.

I've been toying with purchasing the entire series on DVD. 36 discs. Lowest price I've found used is about $80 at Amazon used. New $110

8. rondotcom

rondotcom I Like To Watch

Feb 12, 2005
    While I have watched HostGator from time to time it has never been the same since the original host got eaten by the gator.

9. classicsat

classicsat Astute User

Feb 18, 2004
    Ontario Canada.
    It is not only Stevenson. Larry Gelbart and his writing had a lot to do with that era. Gelbart left around season 4.

10. sharkster

sharkster Well-Known Member TCF Club

Jul 3, 2004
    NV
    Wow, $110 is still pretty good for eleven seasons and the 2 hour series finale. Like an idiot (how many times have I done this!!), I bought each season on DVD as they came out several years ago. I can only say that I probably paid more than 3x that by the time all was said and done. One season was released about every 6 months, IIRC, and I scooped most of them up that way (at full retail...d'oh!) except for the first few that I got for a good price at Overstock.

One of the best tv shows ever.

11. That Don Guy

That Don Guy Now with more GB

Mar 13, 2003
    Benicia, CA
    First, you're not necessarily an idiot; quite a few shows had their first few season(s) released, only for the studio to stop releasing them because they felt the sales didn't justify continuing releasing them. (However, that's not the only reason; the cost of getting the rights to all of the Motown music used was a major factor in stopping Murphy Brown DVDs after Season 1.)

Second, I remember watching the M*A*S*H finale when it first aired, and it was 2 1/2 hours, not 2. (It was originally going to be 2 hours, but either CBS wanted it 30 minutes longer, or the producers felt they couldn't get the story told in just 2 hours.)

(Little-known fact: there is no such show as AfterM*A*S*H. The title of the sequel was AfterMASH, without the asterisks; in fact, this was a point of contention when considering whether or not to make that show at all.)

Of course, considering how often M*A*S*H went backward in time (example: Major Houlihan had not met her future husband yet when Colonel Potter took command in September, 1952; they had met (and may have been married) during the Helsinki Olympics, held one or two months earlier; she got divorced before New Year's Day, 1951), I was surprised they didn't end the series with the start of the war.

12. Peter000

Apr 15, 2002
    Red Wing, MN
    I did this with the first release of The Original Trek Series, only it was two episodes at a time.

Then again with the Buffy Series DVD sets. :eek:

13. sharkster

Jul 3, 2004
    NV
    Um, ok, thanks for the correction. Since it was a few decades ago, it's likely my memory is a bit fuzzy on the EXACT length of the feature episode.

14. sharkster

Jul 3, 2004
    NV
    Ha! I hear ya. It might take both hands to count the number of series with which I have done this. d'oh! In the beginning, of MY purchasing of TV DVDs anyway, it seemed like you just saw each season separately. Then the entire series box sets seemed to become the thing.

I must say, I'm still doing this to some degree, BUT I am able to hold out for better per-season prices. I've been buying Dexter by the season. I bought SATC, SFU, and QAF that way. Maybe I'll learn one of these days, eh? heh - seems like some things just can't wait. :eek:

15. Peter000

Apr 15, 2002
    Red Wing, MN
    I'm not buying many TV series anymore unless I get an excellent Blu-Ray price. For example, Amazon was offering seasons 1-5 of Lost (before season 6 aired) on Blu-Ray for around a hundred bucks, I think. I had seasons 1-4 on DVD already (gotten an excellent price at Target). So I sold those, bought the Blu-Ray set, then down the road bought season 6 separately. There was also a rebate on seasons 1 and 2 if you already had them on DVD. So I came out like a bandit on that deal. But, I've hardly watched them at all. :eek:

16. Steveknj

Steveknj Lost in New Joisey TCF Club

Mar 10, 2003
    New Jersey
    This always cracked me up, how they played around with time. I remember an episode in the Winchester era where they bet on who wins the Giants-Dodgers playoff game (the shot heard round the world) and that was 1951. Yet in other earlier, episodes they talk about Ike being president (1953).

Still the first three seasons were probably the best TV ever written. Season 4 was decent too. Once Frank Burns left, I thought it went downhill quickly, and they started over-emphasizing he serious parts of the war.

I actually never liked the finale all that much, but I remember watching it. But I had kind of stopped watching the show by the time the last season rolled around. They had ran out of ideas, and were actually rehashing some old ones with the new characters.

There are actually a few episodes I can recite line for line as I'm watching the episode. I have the first 3 on DVD, which is cool, because it includes scenes that were used during the first run, but cut out during syndication.

17. DianaMo

DianaMo Cubs fan

Oct 22, 2003
    I set up the cable box to record these shows and it failed to record

Memories of M*A*S*H and "Goodbye, Farewell and Amen".

A new episode of House Hunters popped up since I set up the recording and the DVR chose HH as a priority show. Arrrrgh!

Hope they re-air these two shows.

Are they on Netflix?

18. mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    How was that a point of contention? In other words, can you go into more detail?

should have used a tivo..

They're on netflix at least on DVD.

19. Peter000

Apr 15, 2002
    Red Wing, MN
    Just got around to watching "Goodbye, Farewell, and Amen." Wow, does that show hold up well! Some tears were even shed.

20. Craigbob

Craigbob Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2006
    Land of...
    :up::up::up: + 10000

Me too.