Marvel's Agents of SHIELD - S4E10 - "The Patriot"

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by DancnDude, Jan 19, 2017.

1. DancnDude

DancnDude Thrice as nice TCF Club

Feb 7, 2001
    Madison, WI

Advertisements

Anyone still watching? I was a bit surprised last week that the Dr turned out to be the villian since he saw the Darkhold. That's kind of interesting.

But I was actually really surprised that Mace actually isn't an inhuman. Perhaps those who follow the comics could have figured it out, but it was a surprise to me. I don't really understand why he can't still be superpowered though. Just because the vials were shot out, why can't they make more? If they can't make more, wouldn't he run out of it eventually anyways and be in the same situation.

Either way, I'm really glad it sounds like Coulson will be calling the shots again and just putting Mace into basically a Press Secretary role instead.

I hate that Fitz is hiding that he's working on the LMD head. It will probably turn out that he discovers what's really going on, and then isn't going to want to tell Jemma since he was hiding it from her.

2. Rob Helmerichs

Rob Helmerichs I am Groot! TCF Club

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    It's not that they can't make more; it's A) that's the only supply he has on hand at the moment, and B) if it falls into the hands of the bad guys, they can reverse engineer it.

3. bonscott87

bonscott87 Done.

Oct 3, 2000
    I've given up actually. I was somewhat enjoying the Ghost Rider storyline, last episode we watched was around Thanksgiving but we still haven't watched the rest and I honestly don't have any desire to watch any more. Asked my wife and she said the same thing. We *love* anything MCU and the Netflix shows are the bomb. But I think we're finally given up on AoS since they refuse to connect it to the MCU anymore and it's like I've been forcing myself to watch just "because". Maybe I'll binge the rest on Netflix this summer... What I've read of the LMD storyline now just makes me roll my eyes and not want to bother.

4. cheesesteak

cheesesteak Meh. TCF Club

Jul 24, 2003
    15 mins...
    I'm still interested in AoS.

Of course, Fitz and Gemma are eventually going to have a fight over Aida's head. Hopefully, it won't be drawn out and I won't have to ffwd a lot through a lot of scenes.

I'm not sure I know what Aida's creator is trying to do to May.

5. DancnDude

Feb 7, 2001
    Madison, WI

Advertisements

But wasn't it specifically created for his DNA so nobody else could do anything with it? I guess all of this is really just pseudo-science so they can say and do anything they want for the story.

6. ehusen

ehusen Geek not Nerd

Jan 7, 2002
    Chicago Suburbs
    I'm still interested in the show and enjoy it. I'm actually liking Mace now, he seems "real" to me. Yeah, he's a slick operator and a good liar, but he really does want to do good.

The Dr. as villain, is working for me as well. He really wants the magic book of science cause hey, he loved knowledge. But he doesn't want anyone killed

The senator bugs me though. I just hate the trope of "anyone in this group is evil and must be killed regardless". And her brother is a total idiot. "I know you were going to kill me an hour ago because you thought I was inhuman but then I convinced you it was in remission. Now that I've proven that I am inhuman, I will leave the only people who could protect me so you can kill me easily." I know it his sister but when someone was trying to kill me just recently, I don't go with them a moment later.

7. Shakhari

Shakhari Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2005
    Yeah, just make more serum. He's still going to be the face of SHIELD, so they'll still have to maintain the illusion that he's enhanced ... which he is, even if he isn't an inhuman.

8. Rob Helmerichs

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    He's trying to keep her under in a sort of virtual reality while the May LMD is (unknowingly) doing his bidding.

9. ehusen

ehusen Geek not Nerd

Jan 7, 2002
    Chicago Suburbs
    I predict that LMD May will "override" her programming and save the day. Possibly sacrificing herself in the act.

10. TonyD79

TonyD79 Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2002
    Columbia, MD
    I wasn't sure if LMD May knows she is an LMD or not. When she looked at the gash in her back, was she acknowledging it or realizing it?

If the latter, that could be the start of LMD May rebelling.

11. Rob Helmerichs

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    My guess is that she mostly doesn't know, but when she's on-mission or faced with exposure her programming emerges enough to deal with it.

12. DancnDude

Feb 7, 2001
    Madison, WI
    She definitely didn't know. The Doc was telling Aida that she was different because LMDMay is not aware and Aida is. After the gash in her back, LMDMay might have either figured it out or just been really confused.

13. justen_m

justen_m Cheesehead TCF Club

Jan 14, 2004
    Boise, ID
    I can't recall. Was LMD May present when Mac cut off Aida's head? If so, I think she's more likely to be drawing a similar conclusion. However, seeing as Colson his hand chopped off, and has an artificial replacement, and there are cyborgs like Deathlok, maybe she is just confused.

14. JYoung

JYoung Series 3

Jan 16, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Knowing who Jeff Mace is in the comics, the initial introduction of him as an Inhuman threw me some.

Because in the comics, he was a costumed superhero known as "The Patriot" who was inspired by Captain America during World War II (or just before).
    And he wasn't enhanced either.
    Just a guy who was a good athlete and fighter.

(In fact, Mace actually was Captain America for a while after Steve Rogers got frozen in the Arctic ice.)

I still enjoy AOS but I have to admit that my enjoyment has lessened now that Mockingbird is gone.

15. JYoung

JYoung Series 3

Jan 16, 2002
    Los Angeles
    It could be a "Westworld" type blind spot where LMD May isn't programmed to see those things.

16. wprager

wprager Well-Known Member

Feb 19, 2006
    Ottawa, Canada

I wonder of we will every see the Marvel's Most Wanted pilot.

17. sfenton

sfenton Active Member

Feb 8, 2004
    Acworth Ga
    The doctor being the villain should not be a surprise since he originally was a villain. He was doing illegal human modifications if I remember correctly. They kind of hand waved his coming to work for Shield in the first place.

18. Dawghows

Dawghows Liberal Elitist

May 17, 2001
    NJ
    I just caught up on these latest two episodes last night. I still enjoy the show, but it's not a high priority. I'm also quite a bit less interested in the current LMD storyline than I was in the Ghost Rider stuff. There just isn't much you can do with the LMD concept, IMO. The only real story option is "who's going to turn out to be the 'surprise' LMD?"

Anyway, I like it enough to keep watching, but it's pretty clearly never going to be a must-watch-immediately kind of show. (I especially like Fitz, BTW. Ever since his cognitive issues after Ward tried to kill him and Jemma, I think he's had the most interesting ongoing story, and often the best lines.)