Marvel's Agents of SHIELD S03E01 Laws of Nature

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by NJChris, Sep 30, 2015.

1. NJChris

NJChris Kermie Loves Elmo TCF Club

May 11, 2001
    Huntington...

Advertisements

Anyone else watch this?

I thought it was a great start to the season. Fitz vs Monolith was great at the end, too.

I did like how they were all working together instead of against each other again.

2. Oct 1, 2015 #2 of 40
    Ereth

Ereth Unemployed Bum

Jun 16, 2000
    Jacksonville...
    I enjoyed it a lot.

3. Oct 1, 2015 #3 of 40
    classicX

classicX Don't scream.

May 10, 2006
    Miles away...
    I liked it, not sure they should have focused so much on the metal melty man's story though, unless he is going to be a regular.

4. Oct 1, 2015 #4 of 40
    dtle

dtle Well-Known Member

Dec 12, 2001
    DFW
    I read the reason for Simmon's and May's absence is that they are on different TV shows this season.

5. Oct 1, 2015 #5 of 40
    cmontyburns

cmontyburns Excellent.

Nov 14, 2001
    Houston, TX

Advertisements

I don't think that's true. Elizabeth Henstridge was even in this episode.

6. Oct 1, 2015 #6 of 40
    teknikel

teknikel Member

Jan 27, 2002
    Baltimore
    Wasn't Simmons running from something/someone on what seemed to be an unknown alien world? Plus, IMDB shows that both have no up coming TV series and both were in the opening credits.

7. Oct 1, 2015 #7 of 40
    cmontyburns

cmontyburns Excellent.

Nov 14, 2001
    Houston, TX
    I've always had a like/dislike thing with the show. It has at times been very good, for instance after the Captain America: Winter Soldier developments. But much of the time it feels like it's not telling an organic story, but instead is just there to keep the Marvel cogs moving. That, for me, all too often makes it kind of dull.

So here, we have Marvel trying to cope with the fact that it can't do mutants on-screen, since they sold those rights to Fox. Fox basically has made the same X-Men movie half a dozen times now, with endless blather about "there's a war coming" between humans and mutants, and the same basic conflict repeated over and over. So now here's Marvel with the don't-call-them-mutants Inhumans, and the first thing they do is basically say "there's a war coming". How many times do we have to see this same basic plot?

Underneath that, I thought pieces of this episode were kind of fun. So I didn't dislike it, but I did think the whole was less than the sum of the parts given how boring I find the premise that seems to have been set up.

8. Oct 1, 2015 #8 of 40
    robojerk

robojerk Well-Known Member

Jun 13, 2006
    Laguna Hills CA
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inhumans
    "The Inhumans first appeared in Fantastic Four #45 (December 1965) ... Their home, the city of Attilan, was first mentioned years earlier, in a Tuk the Caveboy story written and drawn by Jack Kirby that appeared in Captain America Comics #1 (March 1941)."

Just saying the Inhumans have been around for a long long time. Not just made up since X-Men rights are currently held by Fox.

9. Oct 1, 2015 #9 of 40
    TheSlyBear

TheSlyBear Opinionated Walrus

Dec 26, 2002
    Austin, TX
    I thought it was a good and compelling opening to the season. Daisy is much more confident in her powers, Fitz is back on top (if a bit obsessed -- but goodly so), Bobbi gets to use her science creds, and Simmons is alive and somewhere, er, interesting. All good.

10. cmontyburns

cmontyburns Excellent.

Nov 14, 2001
    Houston, TX
    Right, I understood that; but thanks for clarifying. But the Inhumans are here because it is groundwork for them appearing in the Marvel Studios movies, and they're going to be in the movies because Marvel can't put the X-Men in them. And that apparently is leading to a season arc that we've already seen over and over again in the X-Men movies.

11. Maui

Maui Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2000
    Decatur, IL
    I have not watched it yet but did record it.

Last season it became one of the last shows on the TiVo I caught up with. That is never a good sign as it means I am losing interest.

12. wedgecon

wedgecon Just Plain Awesome TCF Club

Dec 28, 2002
    Vancouver, WA
    I watched it last night and thought it was a good start to the Season.

It is obvious that metal man is a new character, not sure how much I like him though.

I do kind of wish Ward would just die at some point, he bores he.

Was that a Kree we were shown?

13. Azlen

Azlen Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2002
    Peoria, AZ
  14. LoadStar

LoadStar LOAD"*",8,1

Jul 24, 2001
    Milwaukee, WI
    I thought the episode was a little slow, but then again, I was interrupted about 10 times or more during the episode so it was a little hard for me to follow.

15. markp99

markp99 TakoKichi TCF Club

Mar 21, 2002
    Nashua, NH
    Yay, happy to have this favorite back.

16. trainman

trainman Nice to see you

Jan 29, 2001
    Sherman...
    At least they used actual exterior shots of Washington D.C. Metro trains.

(The interior was obviously supposed to be a mock-up of a New York City subway car.)

17. Rob Helmerichs

Rob Helmerichs I am Groot! TCF Club

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    Oh, and I suppose you're some kind of expert on trains?

:D

18. teknikel

teknikel Member

Jan 27, 2002
    Baltimore
    The interior of the Metro car kept taking me out of the show. I couldn't enjoy it.

I read that so much in here. I thought I'd give it a try.:D

19. TonyD79

TonyD79 Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2002
    Columbia, MD
    Hmmm. Other than the seating being different than most metro cars, looked pretty close to me. Hasn't the metro experimented with that configuration? More open areas? They had the metro maps right.

20. teknikel

teknikel Member

Jan 27, 2002
    Baltimore
    Well it's been a couple of years since I rode the Red & Green line every day but that looked more like a NYC subway which I rode last weekend.

Plus, I was mostly joking but it did catch my attention because everything else like the station interior and the outside of the cars was great.