Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. - Emancipation (OAD 5/10/16)

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by morac, May 10, 2016.

1. morac

morac Cat God TCF Club

Mar 14, 2003
    NJ

Advertisements

I don't have any comments yet since I haven't finished watching, but I wanted to give warning that there are a few spoilers for Captain America Civil War. Nothing really major if you know the basic plot of the movie, but part of the episode's story centers around something that happened in the movie.

There's also another spoiler that doesn't have a lot to do with the movie plot, but it will have a bigger impact if you don't find out about it from this episode.

2. MusicMama

MusicMama Member

Mar 6, 2005
    Watched it live for a change.

Without specifically spoiling, gotta say I was not surprised to see the tie-in to the CA:CW movie. I haven't seen the movie yet, but I'm guessing the association isn't all that different from how a previous SHIELD season was very closely tied to Avengers Ultron or CA:Winter Soldier?

I actually felt that the beginning of the episode might have been modified somewhat to emphasize the association. At least they're not making pseudo-plot-related car commercials based on characters from their currently popular dramas, like another network I could mention.

3. jeepair

jeepair Member

Apr 21, 2004
    Did Hive know what Lash is? He stepped back like he was afraid but he should have stepped forward to use his power to turn Lash. Then, once that failed he should have stepped back thinking... uh oh.

Convenient way Lash was killed. :rolleyes:

4. morac

morac Cat God TCF Club

Mar 14, 2003
    NJ

The TV show seems to be dependent on or beholden to whatever the movies do, but the reverse isn't true. It's like a codependent relationship.

5. TonyD79

TonyD79 Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2002
    Columbia, MD

Advertisements

Any mention of things from the movie the week the movie is released is just plain dumb. With three episodes left, they could hold off on impacts from the movie for next season. Do they think everyone is going to see the movie in the first four days it is out? Or do they prefer everyone stops watching shield until they see the movie.

6. wedgecon

wedgecon Just Plain Awesome TCF Club

Dec 28, 2002
    Vancouver, WA
    Well we are talking about Marvel fanboys here!

7. DancnDude

DancnDude Thrice as nice TCF Club

Feb 7, 2001
    Madison, WI
    They want to "encourage" watchers of SHIELD to see the movie right away so they aren't spoiled by the show.

8. Rob Helmerichs

Rob Helmerichs I am Groot! TCF Club

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    That said, there's really not much in the show that you won't get from the movie trailers...

9. Ereth

Ereth Unemployed Bum

Jun 16, 2000
    Jacksonville...
    Plus, it's hardly new. Every Marvel movie has been referenced in the following weeks Agents of SHIELD, so if you aren't aware of it by now, you aren't really a follower of the show.

10. morac

morac Cat God TCF Club

Mar 14, 2003
    NJ

Some are referenced more (Winter Soldier) than others (Age of Ultron). AoS completely and totally spoiler the former, but not so much the later. Civil War had more spoiled than AoU, but no where near as much as WS.

The flow back from AoS to movies has basically stopped. I'm guessing by the time the Inhumans movie comes out (assuming it ever does), it will be like no one has ever heard of them before.

11. RGM1138

RGM1138 I wanna Rock

Oct 6, 1999
    Gulfport, MS
    So who is going to "die"? I can't imagine any of the regulars. (My money's on 'Yo-Yo').

Will Hive make it through til next season? Who else would they have for a big bad?

Is the guy that played Lash really that big? Maybe they used smaller guys for the newly grown Inhumans, because he looked ginormous next to them.

12. Hoffer

Hoffer Eat Lightning ----- Poo Thunder TCF Club

Jun 1, 2001
    Twin Cities, MN
    I thought it was pretty lame that we find out Lash can stand up to Hive, and then Lash is killed 2 seconds later. Of course, is Lash really dead? I know a hole in the chest will kill most, but this is a super hero show.

13. Ereth

Ereth Unemployed Bum

Jun 16, 2000
    Jacksonville...
    Isn't it obvious?

In this episode, Mac gets a new cross on a chain. That cross on a chain has been the central image every time we see Daisy's vision.

Could be a fake out, of course, but I think we lose Mac.

14. caslu

caslu Active Member

Jun 24, 2003
    Yes, that would be very obvious... which is why it's definitely not Mac. My vote is for Lincoln.

15. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    That's because The Winter Soldier completely blew up the premiss of the show. I wonder how much warning they got on that one? They basically destroyed the agency that is in the name of the show. They couldn't really just gloss over it like they did with Age of Ultron. They did a fairly tied in episode with Thor: Dark World too. They actually went to basically CSI that giant space ship that crashes at the end.

What sort of bugs me about the current season is they made the bad guy too powerful. If he was really that big of a threat where are the avengers? They're all human and would not be effected by his parasite so they would be able to easily take him down. But instead they send in these inhumans who can be effected by him. If they're going to have a show like this in the same universe as the avengers then they need to keep the threats a little less world ending.

16. TonyD79

TonyD79 Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2002
    Columbia, MD
    The avengers are too busy beating each other up.

17. Graymalkin

Graymalkin Grumpy Poster

Mar 20, 2001
    Northern...
    Whoever ends up with that red shirt, er, gold cross is going to get it. And I don't think it's done being passed around yet.

18. David Ortiz

David Ortiz Yankee Fan

Jul 8, 2002
    Fresno, CA
    This, totally. Saw the movie yesterday afternoon, then the episode last night.

19. cheesesteak

cheesesteak Meh. TCF Club

Jul 24, 2003
    15 mins...
    Please, let it be Lincoln. Or the general with the stupid hairdo.

20. bruinfan

bruinfan Well-Known Member

Jan 17, 2006
    Elk Grove, CA
    so, how did they know lash was the hive killer?

and why wouldn't he have finished off hive/ward before helping daisy, which eventually earned him a spear through the torso?