Marvel to Shutter Television Division

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by Rob Helmerichs, Dec 11, 2019.

1. Rob Helmerichs

Rob Helmerichs I am Groot! TCF Club

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis

Advertisements

Marvel to Shutter Television Division

Important to note...they're not abandoning television. It's just that all future TV shows (like the many Disney+ shows that have been announced) will be done by the movie division. There will no longer be a separate TV division.

Which strikes me as a good thing, considering the increasingly bad feelings between the movie and TV people.

2. DevdogAZ

DevdogAZ Give 'em Hell, Devils

Apr 16, 2003
    Arizona
    Also a good thing because hopefully they'll be more consistent in the way the TV and movie stories converge.

Also, it makes sense given that several of the upcoming TV shows will be direct spin-offs of the movie franchise, including the movie actors, and I doubt those movie actors would have taken kindly to being treated as second-class citizens the way the TV division apparently was.

3. cheesesteak

cheesesteak Meh. TCF Club

Jul 24, 2003
    15 mins...
    Marvel's tv division should have been exiled to the Phantom Zone for giving us The Inhumans tv show a couple of years ago.

Snappa77, dcheesi and stile99 like this.
  4. Rob Helmerichs

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    Although even there, as I recall, they got jerked around a lot by the movie people during the show's development...

5. TonyD79

TonyD79 Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2002
    Columbia, MD

Advertisements

Wasn’t it originally supposed to be a movie. It was bad in any case.

6. Rob Helmerichs

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    It went through a few different concepts as it was developed, and I believe they had to keep changing things because of movie plans that came up and fell away.

I suspect one reason, possibly the main reason, it was as bad as it was is because it had such a hodge-podge of concepts all jumbled together (at one point, I think both the TV and movie people were developing completely different ideas, the TV one based on the characters that had been introduced in Agents of SHIELD and the movie based on the actual Inhumans comics). They probably would have been better off scrapping it and starting over from scratch, but they had an artificial deadline because of the IMAX deal, so they had to throw something up on the screen whether they were ready or not.

7. realityboy

realityboy Well-Known Member

Jun 12, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    The Disney+ stuff was already under the movie division. The only things that the TV division were still working on were Helstrom, the 4 animated Hulu shows, & the last season of Agents of SHIELD so now that stuff just gets sent over to the movie side.

8. LoadStar

LoadStar LOAD"*",8,1

Jul 24, 2001
    Milwaukee, WI
    I believe SHIELD has had production finished for quite some time now, so I assume that will likely be broadcast as a post-mortem Marvel Television production.

realityboy likes this.
  9. mr.unnatural

mr.unnatural Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2006
    Ellicott...
    This is actually good news considering how lame most of their TV shows have been. The movies have been so much better. I had such high hopes for The Inhumans, but that was an ungodly mess from the start. I'm looking forward to seeing the new Marvel spinoffs on Disney Plus.

10. dcheesi

dcheesi ...I'm not.

Apr 6, 2001
    MD, USA
    I've been a loyal SHIELD viewer for years, but the end of last season truly was a train wreck. The writing and acting was just bad (not quite Inhumans bad, but close), and it felt like they wrote themselves into a corner with story that they couldn't figure out how to portray on screen, so they just copped out with a nonsensical substitute ending.

11. cheesesteak

cheesesteak Meh. TCF Club

Jul 24, 2003
    15 mins...
  12. LoadStar

LoadStar LOAD"*",8,1

Jul 24, 2001
    Milwaukee, WI
  13. john4200

john4200 Well-Known Member

Oct 31, 2009
    It is important to keep in mind that they do not make decisons based on quality of the product, but rather on profitability. For a good example of that kind of thinking, look at the Disney Star Wars movies. A lot of vocal critics lament the quality of those movies, but they are nevertheless quite profitable for Disney.

So the question for Marvel is not whether the change will increase product quality, but whether it will increase profits. Not that you are likely to hear it stated that way from them.

14. mr.unnatural

Feb 2, 2006
    Ellicott...
    The one thing that Marvel has over DC when it comes to their TV series and movies is continuity. Marvel has brought many of the same characters and actors from the movies onto their TV shows portrayed by the same actors, at least on Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. DC totally disregards the characters and story lines in their TV shows when they introduce characters in the movies. It's like they're completely separate universes (another DC multiverse perhaps?).

15. LoadStar

LoadStar LOAD"*",8,1

Jul 24, 2001
    Milwaukee, WI
    Not just that, although that's a major factor. Marvel Television shows have been almost uniformly well written, well acted, and well produced. (I'll exclude "Inhumans," which was a mistake from beginning to end.) Although they're clearly not a cinematic scale (it's TV, and a TV budget) they mesh well with the feel of the MCU.

DC's shows are *very* hit or miss, and are, IMO, often very hokey/cheezy feeling (particularly Supergirl). They often feel low budget (probably because they are).

The only thing DC's TV shows have over Marvel is that they've done the big crossover events well, bringing all of their TV properties together. A (very) small budget version of the MCU, if you will.

16. jsmeeker

jsmeeker Notable Member TCF Club

Apr 2, 2001
    Dallas
    If inhumans was bad as a TV show, do you worry about the movie?

17. mr.unnatural

Feb 2, 2006
    Ellicott...
    From what I've read about the Inhumans TV show, it was grossly underfunded and they couldn't afford the big budget effects they could have used in a movie. Marvel Studios would have spent big bucks on a movie release. The TV show could have been much better if they had dumped some more money into it. They cut off Medusa's hair after just one episode, IIRC. That in itself would have required a fair amount of CGI work. The script sucked and the acting was just pedestrian at best.

18. realityboy

realityboy Well-Known Member

Jun 12, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    I’m guessing the only Inhuman that we see going forward on TV or the movies is Ms. Marvel. When Marvel didn’t have the movie rights to X-Men, they were really pushing the Inhumans to take their place.

19. jsmeeker

jsmeeker Notable Member TCF Club

Apr 2, 2001
    Dallas

I thought they have announced a Inhumans movie

20. Rob Helmerichs

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    No, there was going to be one, and then it was replaced by the TV show. (I think at one point they were both in development at the same time, and they kind of got mashed together into the show.)