Manually Forcing 6.3 Slice Upgrade

Discussion in 'TiVo Underground' started by Stach, Sep 19, 2006.

1. Stach

Stach New Member

May 27, 2005

Advertisements

My intent with this post is discuss the posibilities of manually performing the slice upgrade by using a modified version of this document . Obviously this will ONLY work if your Tivo already has the 6.3 slices sitting on it's hard drive, but not activated yet.

After looking at the document, not all of the steps are needed as:

1) We are not all looking for "hacked Tivo's" afterwards.
    2) The slices do not contain errors (if you have them).

My hope is that we can get enough people to look and modify these steps so that we can manually upgrade to 6.3. This will definitely require pulling the hard drive and connecting it to a PC, but I am not sure if we will need to make the modifications when the Tivo is running (making it necessary to have network access) or just edit the scripts, put the drive back in the Tivo, and let it do it's thing (upgade to 6.3).

It will definitely be helpful to have some contributors that have hacked / network accessible Tivo's so that they can see what the file names are, what the scripts currently read (that we need to modify), etc...

It should be noted that several people have successfully upgraded their Tivo's using the latest version of PTVUpgrade's "The Slicer" script. Basically it does the same thing (as well as leaving it hacked) as we are attempting to do manually, it just costs around $20.

Thanks in advance to everyone for their help!
    Stach

2. Stach

Stach New Member

May 27, 2005
    After reading the document more thoroughly, I believe all we will need to do is:

1) pull the drive from the Tivo and hook it up to a PC.

2) Boot from a linux CD

3) Mount the hard drive

4) Edit the file stated in Step #5 of the document

5) Determine the EXACT version name of the 6.3 slices

6) I'm not sure if there's a "startup file" that we can put Step #6 of the document in, or if we need network access so that we can telnet in and execute Step #6???

7) Shutdown the PC and place the drive back in the Tivo

8) Cross your fingers and plug in your Tivo

Let me know your thoughts!
    Stach

3. slydog75

slydog75 Not all that sly

Jul 8, 2004
    Warminster, PA
    The problem is if you're not allready hacked, you have no way of knowing if you have the slices downloaded allready or not. Pulling your hard drive every couple days to look would be a huge PITA.

4. cheer

cheer Registered Offender

Nov 13, 2005
    Gurnee, IL
    This is actually pretty easy, if you don't want a hacked Tivo afterwards:
    • Hack your Tivo (instructions for that are beyond the scope of this list)
    • Telnet into your Tivo and verify the slices are present: "echo mls /SwSystem | tivosh"
    • Remount your root partition as read-write: "mount -o remount,rw /"
    • Edit /tvbin/installSw.itcl in vi or joe or whatever
    • Look for a line like this:
    Code:
    exec /var/utils/updateroot /dev/hda /install /var/packages >&@ stdout
    • Modify it to look like this:
    Code:
    exec /var/utils/updateroot /dev/hda /install /var/packages $name >&@ stdout
    • Save the file and exit
    • At the bash prompt, type "/tvbin/installSw.itcl 6.3-01-2-357" and hit enter
    When it's done setting up the new partitions, it will reboot automatically and begin the full upgrade. When finished, you'll have an unhacked HR10-250 running 6.3.

NOTE: this assumes you will be editing installSw.itcl on the Tivo itself. If you transfer it to your PC, edit it, and transfer it back, you may have problems due to DOS/Windows line endings. If so, run "dos2unix /tvbin/installSw.itcl" to fix it up.

5. superdavex

superdavex New Member

Mar 8, 2005

Advertisements

If your going to pull the drive, you might as well enable networking. But, if you absolutely dont want it, this might work.

You will need the LBA48 MFS Tools CD from PTV Upgrade.
    Pull the hd, and mount using the boot cd.

vi /tvbin/installSw.itcl

Original: file mkdir /var/utils
    exec $env(TIVO_ROOT)/tvbin/jpm -p $fil
    putlog "Executing updateroot /dev/hda /install /var/packages"
    exec /var/utils/updateroot /dev/hda /install /var/packages >&@ stdout
    $swsys setActive
    # Clean up
    Edited: file mkdir /var/utils
    exec $env(TIVO_ROOT)/tvbin/jpm -p $fil
    putlog "Executing updateroot /dev/hda /install /var/packages $name"
    exec /var/utils/updateroot /dev/hda /install /var/packages $name >&@ stdout
    $swsys setActive
    # Clean up

vi /etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit

Add at the tail --

/tvbin/installSw.itcl 6.3-01-2-357 &

If you have a serial cable you should also run

bootpage -p /dev/hdc root=/dev/hda4 dsscon=true console=2,115200.

with your partition though, use bootpage -p to determine.

put drive back in and reboot.

This is completely untested though.

,Dave

6. AlbertZeroK

AlbertZeroK New Member

Sep 19, 2006
    Where can I get the 6.3 slices?

Also, don't know if it's legal or not, but if it is, I have a huge server I can serve out the 6.3 slices on.

7. mr.unnatural

mr.unnatural Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2006
    Ellicott...
    The easiest way to hack your HDTivo so you can monitor the slices is by running the first part of the Zipper program. This will get you the basic networking features you need to communicate with the HDTivo. You will need to modify the rc.sysinit.author file and the bootpage to allow it to dial out and install the update. You could also run the tweak.sh portion if you want to add TivoWebPlus to allow access to mfs and SwSystem. Just keep in mind that you will lose all hacks once the update is installed.

FYI - You've probably already got the slices downloaded to mfs on your HDTivos. When DTV suspended the rollout of 6.3 they didn't shut down distribution of the slices, just the methodology that caused the HDTivos not on the list to discard the files and also allow the ones that were to have the installation initiated via the daily call. All three of my HDTivos received the update last night as a result.

If you use the 72.5 or 95 sats for locals then you should wait for the next 6.3 revised update or else you'll lose your locals.

8. pdawg17

pdawg17 Here's Julia!!

Mar 1, 2003
    Just to confirm, your recordings are left untouched, correct?

9. mr.unnatural

Feb 2, 2006
    Ellicott...
    That is correct.

I had one HDTivo that I had setup with a virgin 3.1.5f image and the stock 250GB WD drive. I wanted to capture a 6.3 image on an unhacked unit so that I could make a master backup image to restore to my other HDTivos. I got impatient and went ahead and installed the first part of the Zipper program so I could monitor the distribution of the 6.3 slices, as described in my previous post. I figured I'd have to hack it anyway so I could run the installSw.itcl script and install the update.

I found that the slices had been downloaded overnight and proceeded with the update using the modified installSw.itcl file. After the guide data had settled in I made a backup and restored it to another drive to test it out. So far, so good. I didn't bother with trying to copy everything from the old partitions to the new ones to reinstate the hacks. I did attempt to copy partition 3 over to partition 6 for the killhdinitrd'd kernel but it kept telling me I was out of space on the new partition. I remembered reading about this in another thread but I couldn't remember what the workaround was.

I thought I'd try using the Zipper to copy over the killhdinitrd'd kernel and set up my basic networking so I could communicate with the HDTivo and get everything else going later. The Zipper installation went fine and didn't choke, even though I expected it to complain about it being an unrecognized OS and simply refuse to continue. Before I shut down the PC I modified the iptables file and edited the rc.sysinit.author file to include the insmod statement for usbnet.o.

I made a few other modifications, including the addition of a statement to run netconfig.tcl during bootup. I also copied the netconfig.tcl file over to the Tivo drive from my FAT32 drive while I was at it. Using the Zipper was probably overkill but I figured it was the easiest way to get the necessary files copied over to the drive and get a baseline rc.sysinit.author file setup and install the backported drivers at the same time.

I put the drive in the HDTivo and connected my ethernet adapter and fired it up. I got almost all the way through bootup and then it rebooted. At first I thought I had screwed up the iptables file and put it in a reboot loop. I went upstairs to start working on dinner when, after a few minutes, I heard sound coming from the TV. I checked and found it had completed the boot sequence and gone to live TV. I saw that the ethernet adapter had both LEDs on so I attempted to connect via telnet using TeraTermPro. I was able to get right in and all of my utilities were working as they should. I also tried ftp and got right in.

10. pdawg17

pdawg17 Here's Julia!!

Mar 1, 2003
    Any DD audio problems?

11. Tonedeaf

Tonedeaf New Member

Sep 24, 2004
    Rockwall, TX
    Thanks Cheer. Used your instructions above and forced the install of 6.3 on mine last night.

12. mr.unnatural

Feb 2, 2006
    Ellicott...
    That's hard to say since I've only watched one show recorded on it so far (NCIS). I did notice a momentary loss of audio for a few seconds but it never reoccurred. I normally wouldn't have paid much attention to it except for the fact that some people had reported issues with DD and 6.3, which is why I noticed it at all. I've got a few more recordings I plan on watching this evening so I'll post an update if I experience any problems.

I just upgraded HDTivo No. 2 at lunchtime. I initiated the installSw.itcl script this morning and rebooted and then added networking and tivoapp patches when I went home for lunch. I've already got some shows on the drive that were recorded with 3.1.5f so I'm not sure if the DD problem would affect them or if it is only applicable to new recordings made with 6.3.

I plan on updating my third and final HDTivo tomorrow using the same method. I need to reimage the first drive over the weekend since I only have a single 250GB drive installed at the moment. I originally had dual 250GB drives so I need to reimage and create a larger swap file. I'll need the whole weekend for this since I won't be able to set up any season passes until the guide data repopulates.

13. rbautch

rbautch User

Feb 5, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    You can safely igore the error or add "count=2048" to the end of the dd command (credit Jamie).

insmodding usbnet.o is not needed. Users may also want to rename /etc/netfilter-disabled back to /etc/netfilter-enable, as some users reported that keeping it disabled caused booting trouble. The iptables fix accomplishes the same thing.

This is also unnecessary, since the Zipper does it already. In fact, the Zipper appends your author file to run it only once, then reboots automatically (you described that in your post), and then never runs it again. If you leave the manual command in your author file and forget about it, you'll wonder 6 months later why you can't chage your IP address.

The Zipper puts on your tivo automatically.

14. Stach

Stach New Member

May 27, 2005
    rbautch or Mr. Unnatural, now that I have 6.3 installed and running on my HD Tivo, can I just put the drive back in the PC and run the first part of the zipper to get my network connectivity (Netgear FA120) back?

Thanks in advance!
    Stach

15. jayerndl

jayerndl Member

Aug 20, 2003
    Central Florida
    Is there any reason why we can't follow the rest of the instructions in this document so that we can keep the hacks/network access without pulling the drive by doing the following:
    1. edit the installSw.itcl to not reboot at the end as shown in step 5
    2. do step 7 - copy your hacks to the new root
    3. do step 9 - Unpack the init_framework and fix the bootpage
    4. reboot

After the reboot we should have a hacked HR10-250 running 6.3. Will this work? I did this process with my 2 hacked SD Directivos when I upgraded to 6.2 and it worked well. Any comments? Thanks.

Jay

16. thecrave

thecrave New Member

Dec 2, 2004
    Buffalo, NY
    Thanks cheer! It worked!

FYI -- here is the telnet capture from my system:

Code:
    bash-2.02# ./installSw.itcl 6.3-01-2-357
    09/22:13:17:27: ./installSw.itcl:  id of /SwSystem/ACTIVE is 44090086
    09/22:13:17:27: ./installSw.itcl:  id of /SwSystem/6.3-01-2-357 is 78227711
    09/22:13:17:28: ./installSw.itcl:  Installing "6.3-01-2-357".
    09/22:13:17:28: ./installSw.itcl:  Removing old package files
    09/22:13:17:28: ./installSw.itcl:  Getting packages from database
    09/22:13:18:49: ./installSw.itcl:  Executing jpm install of utils-1-1.cpio
    09/22:13:18:58: ./installSw.itcl:  Executing updateroot /dev/hda /install /var/packages
    Path prefix is /var/utils/
    Sha1hash passed for updatekernel
    Sha1hash passed for checkkernel.tcl
    Sha1hash passed for messagelib.tcl
    Sha1hash passed for buildskeleton
    Sha1hash passed for SwInstall.tcl
    Sha1hash passed for builddev

Searching /etc/fstab for current root

Old root is on /dev/hda7, new one goes on /dev/hda4

Creating new filesystem on /dev/hda4

Mounting new root filesystem on /install

Installing module core
    Installing module hpk-Series2
    Installing module kernel-Series2
    Building basic filesystem skeleton on /install

Checking /install/etc/fstab

newroot is 4, leaving fstab alone
    Creating symlinks for /install/etc files
    Dismounting /install and checking its integrity

Initializing First Activation Date

Modifying bootparams to point to /dev/hda4

Creating upgrade messages
    upgrade_721_mb.msg does not apply to 357
    upgrade_721_ptcm.msg does not apply to 357
    Flipping root, setting boot parameters to 'root=/dev/hda4 dsscon=true console=2,115200 upgradesoftware=false'

OK, reboot the system to use the new root filesystem

09/22:13:27:21: ./installSw.itcl:  Attempting reboot...

17. mr.unnatural

Feb 2, 2006
    Ellicott...
    Well, yes, sort of. You need to copy the netconfig.tcl file over to your Tivo and make it executable. Place it in a folder that's called out in the PATH statement. You will also need to edit your iptables file or you could end up in an endless reboot loop. Make sure you mount the correct partitions and use the correct commands to navigate to the directories on the mounted partitions.

There are several changes you will need to make to the rc.sysinit.author file before returning the drive to the HDTivo. Since the joe editor is included on the PtvUpgrade LBA48 boot CD I just use joe to make the changes.

1. Add "insmod /lib/modules/usbnet.o" somewhere near the beginning of the file
    2. Disable fakecall or replace the existing fakecall script with one that's been edited to work with 6.3
    3. Add a statement to run netconfig.tcl following the insmod statement using the following syntax: /folder name/netconfig.tcl 192.168.1.XXX (Tivo IP) 255.255.255.0 (netmask) 192.168.1.1 (router IP) 192.168.1.1 (router IP)
    I believe one of the last two entries in the command is the DNS address but it should work fine if you enter the router's IP for both.

Comment out the zipper reboot flag statement if you want but you will need to reboot the HDTivo manually before networking will function. The netconfig.tcl script sets the IP address on bootup but it won't take effect until the next reboot.

I just like to use the first part of the Zipper program because it automatically copies over the S2 binaries and utilities as well as the killhdinitrd'd kernel and backported USB 2.0 drivers. I also just get lazy sometimes. You still have to make several manual changes, as outlined above, so you have to decide which method works best for you.

18. AlbertZeroK

AlbertZeroK New Member

Sep 19, 2006
    I've manually upgraded my box to 6.3a. Gunna wait for PTV to come out with new CD for 6.3 before I get my network back.

19. mr.unnatural

Feb 2, 2006
    Ellicott...
    rbautch - So you're telling me that the Zipper does all of these things automatically for the HR10-250? I can believe it will do it for a standard definition DTivo with 6.2. Hacking the HR10-250 manually always required that we had to include the insmod statements since the drivers weren't getting loaded on a stock system. We also never used netconfig.tcl to set up networking on this platform in the past.

If what you're saying is true then all anyone would need to do is run the Zipper portion and modify the iptables file to get networking up and running with a static IP. I'll have to reload my stock 6.3a image on a drive tonight and give this a shot.

20. rbautch

rbautch User

Feb 5, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    The Zipper asks you for the first three digits of your service number, and from that it will tailor the hacks for the HR10-250. Since it's not yet smart enough to know you're running 6.3, it will append your author file with insmod and ifconfig statements, like we did for 3.1.5f. However, you can trick it by entering the service number prefix for a standard DTivo (like 101), and it should set up 6.3 just fine, including modifying your iptables file. It will also install Jamie's latest backported drivers, and attempt to modify your usb.map file. In 6.3, the /etc/hotplug/usb.map file is a symlink to /platform/etc/hotplug/usb.map, so you may have to recreate the symlink. Also, it will attempt to symlink ax8817x.o to the usbnet.o module, so you may have to delete that also. It will copy my network.tcl script to your tivo, and run it the first time it boots. Most of network.tcl is dedicated to wireless support, but it also works for wired adapters.

edit: If the above is beyond your capabilites, don't try it. Instead use a 3.1.5f image, run the Zipper, and then do a slice upgrade to 6.3.

BTW, I agree with your recommendation that more folks should learn more about what the automated scripts are doing to their tivos - certainly would cut down on support. However I think you'll also agree that poeple like you and I who know how to configure things manually also appreciate the quickness and error-free repeatability of an automated script. If you have another tivo not running 6.3, I encourage you to try out the Enhancement script (in my sig) that comes bundled with the Zipper. Even if your tivo is already hacked, there's something in there for almost everyone, and the script lets you pick and choose what gets installed and what doesn't. You could also try it on 6.3 and test what works and what doesn't.