Manual recordings stopped working

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by rn701, Apr 25, 2008.

1. rn701

rn701 New Member

May 18, 2007

Advertisements

My S3 manual recordings stopped working sometime in the past couple of weeks. Anyone else notice this?

I had to delete them and put in Season Pass recordings for The Dailly Show and Colbert Report, now I get about 50 per week.

Anyone have any ideas why they quit working? I seem to have plenty of disk space, and all my other season pass recordings work fine.

2. moyekj

moyekj Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2006
    Mission...
    I've got a couple of repeating daily manual recordings I've had for a long time that still work fine. Both my S3s have been updated to 9.3a with no ill effects regarding the manual recordings.

Is it possible the original channel number(s) your manual recordings were setup on may have changed? That's one way I could envision manual recordings would stop working, especially if the channel number no longer exists or is unselected from "channels I receive" list.

3. GiantsFan24

GiantsFan24 New Member

Jan 3, 2008
    Makakilo,...
    Instead of a Season Pass, you can set up a wishlist. Search "Daily Show Wishlist" for how to do this. This will allow you to create a wishlist that only gets one Daily Show and Colbert Report each day. The trick is to set it to "First Run only" which prevents the four or five daily repeats from being recorded, and negating one or more keywords from the Monday repeats (which are not flagged as repeat recordings). I've been using this method for a couple of months, and I only get four episodes/week for each show, and none during their periodic hiatuses (hiati?).

4. tivaulo

tivaulo Member

Apr 24, 2008
    This is a good solution but for a different problem. If I understand it right when you set a manual recording, that is supposed to be based on the time and station only, no matter what show is on. First run or not.

What rn701 is saying is that his manual recordings have stopped working, just like mine.

I did a workaround similar to yours by having four separate manual recordings to correspond the four days the show is on. But a few weeks ago the manual recordings failed. So I erased the manual settings and created new ones. Then this week I had problems again when it failed to record a couple days. The reason it gave me was that the show was not on the guide. Which should be irrelevant since I didn't use the guide to set the recordings, I did it manually.

There is another thread about this bug http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?t=388387 and there is no consensus yet as to what is causing it. The only reason I can think of is that the "manual recording" part of the routine is becoming dependent on the guide in order to give the "manual recording" a show name. If that is the case then I think a good solution would be to have the program allow the user to name the "manual recording" instead of trying to help by fetching it, thus dissociating it from the guide. Which is creating problems in this case.

That solution is only if everybody is getting the same error reporting ("not in guide"), which I don't know if it is true.

5. rn701

rn701 New Member

May 18, 2007

Advertisements

Thanks for the replies and the "wishlist" tip. I will give that a try.

So it seems at least one other person is having the problem of manual recordings not working. Where do you see the error reports about why something wasn't recorded? (Sorry to be dense).

It's funny, but manual recording was one of the main reasons I switched from the goofy Charter Moxi box. (Plus we had Tivo before with DirecTV and liked it a lot.) Figures that this one thing is the only thing I've had trouble with so far in about a year of use.

Manual recording seems like a basic that has to be there. Not just for the Daily Show problem but also these local PEG channels that have virtually no programming info. If you want to record the county commission meeting or whatever you have to do it by time and channel.

/soapbox

6. bkdtv

bkdtv New Member

Jan 9, 2003
    DC Metro Area
    Manual recording still works fine. I use it daily for CNBC's Closing Bell.

A manual, repeating recording will no longer work if your provider changes the original channel number. Season passes will migrate to new channels, so they'll continue to work if the provider rearranges its channels, but manual recordings will need to be recreated for the new channel.

In many cases, a provider will remove a channel from the analog tier and moves it to the digital tier, and when they do so, they change the channel number.

7. tivaulo

tivaulo Member

Apr 24, 2008
    bkdtv, there is no channel change in this case. The channel is the same, the manual recording just stopped recording.

rn701, to find out why it didn't record go to FindPrograms -> ToDo List -> View RecordingHistory -> scroll to the program missed and click on it. A screen will come saying why it didn't record.

This method can also be used to see what is not going to be recorded in the future. So it seems like a good idea to check this screen once a weekk until this bug gets fixed.

8. rn701

rn701 New Member

May 18, 2007
    Found it. Says manual shows aren't recorded because the show is not on the guide.

9. tivaulo

tivaulo Member

Apr 24, 2008
    Bingo!!

10. bkdtv

bkdtv New Member

Jan 9, 2003
    DC Metro Area
    Did you accidentally remove the channel from your channel listings? Double check your channel listings and make sure that channel number still exists and is checked in your Settings -> Channels -> Channel List.

11. tivaulo

tivaulo Member

Apr 24, 2008
    Come on bkdtv, what are the chances that a number of unrelated people make the same mistake at around the same time?

Check these threads:
    http://forums.tivo.com/pe/action/forums/displaysinglethread?rootPostID=10376960
    http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?t=388387

Just because you don't have a problem doesn't mean that whoever has a problem is because they have done something wrong. The number of variables is so big that only a real major bug would affect everybody the same way.

It's not always the user's fault!

12. bkdtv

bkdtv New Member

Jan 9, 2003
    DC Metro Area
    For those experiencing this problem...what kind of channels are you recording? Are you recorded standard channels with guide information? Or QAM channels without guide information?

13. tivaulo

tivaulo Member

Apr 24, 2008
    I'm not too knowledgeable on QAM (didn't think TiVo could get QAM, so I'm lost now) but I think that the Comedy Central channel I get from TW is a standard channel. (wall->cablebox->tivo->tv)

I'll go on a limb here and bet that most people having this problem are trying to record the Daily Show on Comedy Central. I say that because Comedy Central is pretty lousy sending info to the guide and many people have created manual recordings of this show to avoid the problems associated with the regular Season Pass without a reliable guide (runonandon sentence, sorry).

So I imagine that QAM is not part of the equation here. But I could be the exception.

PS.
    I'm having a couple miserable days, so sorry that my tone is rough. I don't want to come out as ungrateful, I do appreciate that you're trying to figure out the problem bkdtv

14. moyekj

moyekj Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2006
    Mission...
    In other words, do you have CableCards installed or not?

Just FYI my repeating recordings do still work and on occasion show up with a different title as the guide sometimes changes for that time slot on that channel. I do have CableCards in my case.

15. tivaulo

tivaulo Member

Apr 24, 2008
    Thanks for making the question simpler to answer. No, I do not have CableCards. My Tivo is Series 2. The only reason I'm posting here is because the problem seems to be the same.

But QAM or CableCards do not explain why the error mentions anything about the guide. Manual recordings should not be dependent on the guide at any point. Interactive maybe, but dependent no.

Unless it is a bogus error report, then it's back to square zero.

16. mchabura

mchabura Member

Sep 22, 2006
    I am having the same problem with an S2 (Toshiba RS-TX20). I have about 10 repeated manual recordings and four of them fail. The four are listed at the bottom of the To Do List as "None Scheduled". Looking at the View History, it says that they didn't record becuase they are not in the guide. I've tried changing the recording options which works temporarily, but later in the day (maybe after the daily call) they go back to the "None Scheduled" status.

I hope someone is looking at this problem. I don't want to schedule a manual recording every week for those times.

17. mchabura

mchabura Member

Sep 22, 2006
    I did a Repeat Guided Setup on my TiVo and it seems to be working now. I originally thought that a Repeat Guided Setup would erase all Season Passes and Manual Recordings, but they were still there. After the guided setup, I deleted all the repeated manual recordings. Then I entered them in one by one. Since then (about 2 weeks), everything has been running normal. Hopefully, I don't see this problem again.