Manual Record without Service?

Discussion in 'TiVo Bolt DVR/Streamer' started by KDragon, Aug 4, 2017.

1. KDragon

KDragon New Member

Apr 28, 2017

Advertisements

No doubt this has been discussed. Feel free to point me to it...
    I was told by a customer service dude today that if you don't have a service account, you would not be able to do manual recordings (ie channel 7, 6pm, 1 hr.) I understand that without service you would not get updates or program info, but at least in the old days, you could still do manual recordings. When I asked, "So if I don't have service, my Bolt is a door-stop?" and he said "yes." Is this correct?

2. shwru980r

shwru980r Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2008
    You could use it as an OTA tuner to watch TV on a monitor with an hdmi input.

kpeters59 likes this.
  3. KDragon

KDragon New Member

Apr 28, 2017
    OK, but would you be able to do manual recording?

4. kpeters59

kpeters59 Well-Known Member

Jun 19, 2007
    Houston, Texas
    No...I just tried it on a Series 3 I'm swapping out for a Roamio OTA.

You used to be able to at least pause Live TV, but that seems to have been removed as well...

-KP

5. sfhub

sfhub Well-Known Member

Jan 6, 2007

Advertisements

On my series 3 when I try to schedule a manual recording it lets me choose the option but never presents me the time/date UI, just loops back. This is on a series 3 that had lifetime but was later deactivated, but the lifetime unit was off the network before it was deactivated and never connected back. It gets into an "Inactive" state because lifetime units need to continue to contact TiVo every 30 somewhat days or they go inactive.

I can't say from personal experience how any newer TiVo's behave, though it is likely the same.

6. Worf

Worf Well-Known Member

Sep 15, 2000
    Without service, a TiVo box is merely a TV tuner. You cannot record, nor do "trick plays".

The only TiVos that could were Series 1 DVRs, but as of TiVo software 3.0, if your TiVo did not allow the functionality, it wouldn't allow it without service (i.e., if you have a series 1 DVR it would work. If you had one of the few series 1 released at the very end that shipped with 3.0, you couldn't)

The trick play functionality was removed much later, but again, if your TiVo supported it when you bought it, it would continue to do so.

Basically any TiVo after a series 3 disabled everything except tv tuner functionality without service.

7. mattyro7878

mattyro7878 Well-Known Member

Nov 27, 2014
    Southern CT
    So with an active cablecard it is a cable box with no bells and whistles. no buffer?

8. shwru980r

shwru980r Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2008
    I think so but you won't have any guide data and you will receive nag screens that you need service. I've seen used series 3 tivos with lifetime service sell for under $100 on ebay. In my opinion, it's not worth it to use a Tivo without service.

9. Worf

Worf Well-Known Member

Sep 15, 2000
    I just call it a TV tuner. No buffer, no guide, and nag screens. Just be careful with series 3 units that are lifetime'd - there was a sale on lifetime transfers a while ago and TiVo's been a bit slow deactivating boxes, so you might end up with a deactivated box you thought you had lifetime one because the owner transferred it.