Manifest - Season One thread *spoilers*

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by DevdogAZ, Jan 15, 2019.

1. DevdogAZ

DevdogAZ Give 'em Hell, Devils

Apr 16, 2003
    Arizona
    Since there doesn't appear to be enough interest in individual episode-specific threads, I'm creating this thread to move the discussion of recent episodes out of a thread for an episode from 3 months ago.

I liked the most recent episode, with the pilot trying to clear his name and find out what happened to the flight. He was definitely obsessed and irrational, but you could see how someone in his position would be like that. I didn't like how they ended the episode, but I wonder if they left it open ended by not showing us whether the plane was shot down or vanished into the dark lightning.

Also, if dark lightning was so easy to find after they learned about it, why don't other meteorologists know about it, and why hasn't it affected more planes?

verdugan likes this.
  2. Hcour

Hcour Well-Known Member

Dec 24, 2007
    Probably because the show sucks.

I'm KIDDING! It's a JOKE!

Ok, I'm not kidding. The show does suck. Large.

No, of course I'm kidding. Everybody has different tastes.

But the show does suck.

3. cstelter

cstelter Member

Mar 17, 2002
    Mankato, MN
    In a scene toward the end a TV newscast was talking about the plane being shot down and I'm pretty sure they were saying that no sign of the debris from the plane had been found. I think perhaps Mick and her brother were talking over it as though they were uninterested. This might support the idea that it actually warped into the future again without being destroyed.

Generally speaking I've enjoyed these last 2 episodes more than most of the previous episodes. Just enough I guess to watch one or two more.

4. That Don Guy

That Don Guy Now with more GB

Mar 13, 2003
    Benicia, CA
    I think there was a caption on the screen on the newscast saying that no debris had been found. Between that and the fact that the show made it clear to have one of the pilots say that "the bogey has been neutralized" (or words to that effect - i.e. what you would say if it had been shot down), I'm also in the "the plane disappeared the same way that Flight 828 did" camp - and wouldn't be surprised if the plan is to wait to see if the show is renewed for a second season, and if it isn't, then to have them return in the finale to help wrap everything up.

Please, please, please, pleasepleaseplease, please, did I mention please, please, anything other than, they traveled into the past...

aaronwt likes this.
  5. longrider

longrider Well-Known Member TCF Club

Oct 26, 2017
    Elizabeth, CO
    That newscast definitely did say there was no sign of the debris from the plane and the flash shown was really not one of a plane exploding. The writers really left this open for possibilities.
    i

6. Cainebj

Cainebj Well-Known Member

Nov 10, 2006
    New York
    I gave up on it - I started to watch the first episode back after the holiday break and 5 minutes in all I could think is, Why Am I Watching this?

7. Hot4Bo

Hot4Bo Finally an Avatar! TCF Club

Apr 3, 2003
    South Florida
    Again I am in the minority. I am loving this show.

aaronwt likes this.
  8. longrider

longrider Well-Known Member TCF Club

Oct 26, 2017
    Elizabeth, CO
    Something happened to the rest of my last post. I am enjoying this show, I really like the way the story has shifted to the government cover up/conspiracy rather than being all about the callings. Anytime anybody even gets close to finding anything out they are either killed or snatched off the street.

aaronwt likes this.
  9. Maui

Maui Major Lee Oblivious

Apr 22, 2000
    Decatur, IL
    I have the two shows that have aired after the break on my Tivo. I am debating whether to get back to it though. I will admit that the final episodes before the break were the most interesting to me.

10. DevdogAZ

Apr 16, 2003
    Arizona
    Speaking of the callings, in the most recent episode, Mick was sitting at her desk in the police station and she had another "Find Her" calling. But then it was never mentioned again in the episode. So was that just her remembering the "Find Her" calling from the previous episode, or what?

11. Steveknj

Steveknj Lost in New Joisey TCF Club

Mar 10, 2003
    New Jersey
    I'm liking (not loving) this show. As I kind of expected with most of these types of shows, they start off with pretty good pilots and then kind of drift in all kinds of directions. I'm still interested in what the conspiracy is. I do think the pilot and the woman ended up traveling somewhere in time. I think putting her on the plane is telling as she's been a fairly important character thus far. To just kill her off like that seems silly because I thought we were supposed to find out more about her theories.

12. markz

markz Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2002
    Connersville...
    We are still enjoying the show. Not the best show, but hasn't lost our interest yet. I think the plane disappeared, rather than being shot down.

Other than the boy telling his dad that he would be busy helping the man from the plane tomorrow, there wasn't any "calling" that I saw. I like the cover-up aspect more than the supernatural powers of the passengers.

I think having the main bad girl referred to just as "The General" or "The Colonel" (I can't remember which) is kind of hokey.

What was the page that the mole tore out of the boy's notebook?

13. cheesesteak

cheesesteak Meh. TCF Club

Jul 24, 2003
    15 mins...
    The boy telling his dad to help the man on the plane didn't make much sense. It's not like he had never met the pilot. He'd already asked him for pilot's wings.

Dark lightning? C'mon. And the pilot just happening to find another identical dark lightning storm wasn't the most believable thing I've watched on tv lately.

I'm seriously disliking Jared and his stalking self. They might as well play Barry White music in the background when he's badgering Mick. "Please, baby. Please."

14. DevdogAZ

Apr 16, 2003
    Arizona
    The calling I saw was when Mick was sitting at her desk and she saw a hand in the snow and the voice said "Find Her" and then suddenly Jared was standing over her and she snapped out of it.
    The Major, but I'm sure she'd be happy for the promotion to colonel or general.
    Good question. What could he have been drawing that would catch her attention like that and cause her to want to take the picture? And is she taking it to provide info to the government, or to prevent the government from getting it? She seems genuinely conflicted about helping the government.

15. Family

Family Well-Known Member

Jul 23, 2001
    Everything relationship, (Danny/Ben love triangle), is what makes this show gag city. So cookie cuter that it's nauseating to sit through. Compare it to how a show like Travelers handles similar relationship issues.

If they improved this area the sci-fi might actually be passable.

I know "network TV", but it's not like more people watch this crap than the good stuff. Why not bring the drama into this century?

16. Hot4Bo

Hot4Bo Finally an Avatar! TCF Club

Apr 3, 2003
    South Florida
    So, yeah, I'm in the minority again. I am loving everything about this show.

ThePhoenix likes this.
  17. cheesesteak

cheesesteak Meh. TCF Club

Jul 24, 2003
    15 mins...
    It's like every network show has to have relationship drama. I just don't care. Get to the meat of the story and skip all the "wuvvy-duvvy" stuff. Just me.

18. DevdogAZ

Apr 16, 2003
    Arizona
    It finally seems like they are starting to make progress on the mystery plot and leave the relationship crap behind. Last night's episode introduced some interesting possibilities that I can't wait to see how they play out.

19. stellie93

stellie93 Well-Known Member

Feb 25, 2006
    I really can't guess where they're going with this. If the kid can tell where others will be 12 hours into the future, there has to be time travel of some kind. :confused:

20. Mike20878

Mike20878 Jake & Adam's dad

Jun 8, 2001
    Gaithersburg...
    Is there any chance that Vance faked his death? I've got my hopes up.