Manhunt: Unabomber, episode 6, "Ted", 08/29/2017

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by Thom, Aug 30, 2017.

1. Thom

Thom Unemployed and loving it !

Jun 5, 2000
    Southern Calif.
    I've been enjoying this mini-series, but not this episode. Previous episodes were about the people trying to identify and catch him. This episode was all about him, trying to show how the boy became the man called the Unabomber, and came to feel rejected/betrayed by the few close to him.

While tragic, I also found this episode very boring, and wound up skipping ahead until I reached the episode end. The only interesting thing was the preview of next week's episode.

I'm pretty sure the next episode will be back on track with the chase closing in and arresting him.

Episodes 1 through 5 were interesting, and I recommend them.

Episode 6 was not interesting.

2. spartanstew

spartanstew Thanks 4 the Update

Feb 23, 2002
    Wylie, Texas
    Agreed. Worst episode of the lot.

3. astrohip

astrohip Well-Known Raconteur TCF Club

Jan 6, 2003
    Houston/Bren...
    Same here. The series is called MANHUNT, and that's been the most interesting aspect. I hope I don't come across as too callous, but his youth holds little interest for me.

And for icing on the cake, captions went out for the last 15 minutes. Luckily, I didn't need them, since I didn't care.

4. caslu

caslu Active Member

Jun 24, 2003
    I actually disagree, found it quite interesting even though I do agree the manhunt aspects of the series are the most interesting parts.

mattack likes this.
  5. mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    Yeah, I come closer to caslu's opinion. Don't get me wrong, I agree it was different in style than the others, but I still thought it was interesting and entertaining. If it hadn't been with that actor, I might feel differently.

6. Big Behr

Big Behr New Member

Mar 13, 2003
    San Diego, CA
    The procedural aspects of the manhunt are top notch. But the dive into the formative forces on the focus of that manhunt were riveting. The portion involving his participation the the Harvard-CIA experiments were quite chilling. It's nice to see the villain being treated as a complex human. Doesn't excuse or generate empathy, but we are always wringing our hands over how someone can become such a monster. Worth 40 minutes of my time to see that.

7. spartanstew

Feb 23, 2002
    Wylie, Texas
    Whereas, I couldn't care less why he became what he became.

8. JFriday

JFriday "Just The Facts"

Mar 20, 2002
    Bay Area
    Yea at some point they had to give a picture of who they were hunting.

9. Sep 1, 2017 #9 of 13
    TiVo'Brien

TiVo'Brien Now with 2.6% Fewer Organs TCF Club

Feb 8, 2002
    Orlando,...
    Put me in the "I enjoyed it" camp. I always want to know the 'why' behind things that baffle me. Living alone in a cabin building bombs isn't common, and I want to understand the psychology behind it.

10. jack3835

jack3835 Member

Dec 29, 2005
    Have not watched this episode yet, but agree the whole "hunt" aspect has been very interesting. I find myself wondering how accurate the portrayal of FBI dismissing some of the BAU profiles and seemingly important information....It's almost like they only had one way to look at the investigation, and everything that did not fit, was dismissed.

Also, seems like profiling (and maybe BAU) was fairly new then????

11. spartanstew

Feb 23, 2002
    Wylie, Texas
    But, they mentioned they had already used many profilers and each one gave a different profile, so they were a little skeptical.

12. Howie

Howie Out of Pocket TCF Club

May 3, 2004
    San Antonio
    I felt so sorry for Teddy. Poor little Unabomber.

13. NorthAlabama

NorthAlabama tabasco rules

Apr 19, 2012
    sweet home, al
    much like the posts so far, my opinion of this ep was mixed. i started, then stopped watching, several times until it was about half-way through, then it was intriguing enough to finish.

but, yeah, enough background, back to the chase.