Mandatory Purchase of Lifetime Programing

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by Drav1212, Oct 5, 2020.

1. Drav1212

Drav1212 New Member

Oct 31, 2005
    Pennsylvania

Advertisements

Just got an email saying my yearly contract was about to expire. Went online to purchase another year and discovered I would have to pay the full 542.00 for lifetime service. Is TIVO having money problems? is TIVO about to go bankrupt? I wont be paying the 542.00. I see how long I can use TIVO with out its service

2. kpeters59

kpeters59 Well-Known Member

Jun 19, 2007
    Houston, Texas
    You might call them on the phone and receive a better offer.

I just did that on Friday, for someone else's system, hoping for a $99 offer, but after much haranguing, the best I got was $299. Which is the cost of 2 years of Annual Service.

That account had become active in December 2016. With a Roamio.

-KP

Last edited: Oct 5, 2020
  3. wizwor

wizwor Well-Known Member

Dec 17, 2013

Unless this is an error, it strongly suggests that TiVo is not confident it will be around long enough to offset that lifetime plan with monthly payments. Worth a call for clarification and, possible, an offer.

4. tommiet

tommiet Active Member

Oct 28, 2005
    Just another nail for the TiVo coffin. With the cable card issue on the top of the list... You could pay $300.00 and the next day you could have cable card issues... your SOL.

TiVo is getting the last of the money while they can. Stock price shows how they are NOT doing.

5. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...

Advertisements

Up a little today: https://money.cnn.com/quote/quote.html?symb=XPER

6. NorthAlabama

NorthAlabama tabasco rules

Apr 19, 2012
    sweet home, al
    sorry, but there's no such thing as a "mandatory" purchase of anything - an offer is made, and either you accept it, or reject it and move on.

i'd attribute this to wishful thinking in website design on tivo's part, an error, or their effort to have you call to get the best available offer. if not a mistake, is it stupid and shortsighted? sure, but i highly doubt they've eliminated monthly subscriptions, until this is corroborated by other users and customer service.

7. Jonathan_S

Jonathan_S Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2001
    Northern...
    TiVo's website still offers monthly, annual, and lifetime plans for new TiVos, and I found a support article last updated in May showing that those options still exist for at least as far back as Romio. I'm not sure how old a TiVo the OP has, but I don't see why the annual plan wouldn't be offered (and certainly the monthly should exist) even if TiVo did initially try to upsell to their Lifetime plan.

8. tommiet

tommiet Active Member

Oct 28, 2005
  9. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    I'd assume this was just an error.