managing recording and HD

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by gdomeier, Sep 12, 2007.

1. gdomeier

gdomeier New Member

Nov 6, 2001
    Sartell, MN USA
    Just curious what is the best way to ensure that setting up season passes records items in HD when possible. I get some channels in sd and hd. Do I just need to search for the show and choose the hd channel for me season pass?

2. bkdtv

bkdtv New Member

Jan 9, 2003
    DC Metro Area
    Exactly.

3. LifeIsABeach

LifeIsABeach Active Member

Feb 28, 2001
    Drexel Hill, PA
    Season passes are channel specific and will only record on the channel you select. Wishlists will record off any channel but have a HD category which will tell TiVo to pick up the HD version (note that the category means HD only and will not pick up an SD version if no HD version exists).

4. gdomeier

gdomeier New Member

Nov 6, 2001
    Sartell, MN USA
    Thanks, it would be great to have an option that records either, but gives preference to hd.

5. Warhawks

Warhawks New Member

Apr 8, 2007

I also agree, I don't want 55 season passes that list HD and SD.

6. azitnay

azitnay Active Member

Jan 20, 2003
    Washington,...
    For season passes, in most cases you shouldn't need two, since the guide data for the HD and SD channels are usually the same.

As for wishlists, though, you do need to have two if you want to favor HD but don't want to miss out on SD recordings. I only have a handful of wishlists so it's not a big deal for me, but I could see how it could get annoying if you have a bunch.

Drew

7. bkdtv

bkdtv New Member

Jan 9, 2003
    DC Metro Area
    The alternative is to remove SD versions of HD channels from your channel list under Settings -> Channels.

If you remove the SD channels, Series3 wishlists will not record from them. They'll always record from the HD version.

8. AbMagFab

AbMagFab What happened, TiVo?

Feb 5, 2001
    That only works for channels that simulcast their SD and HD (like local networks).

For other channels (like HGTV, Discovery, FOOD, etc.), that model doesn't work, since you want both the SD and HD channels available.

Further, if you want to try to get the HD version, but will accept an SD version, on something like HBO, where the HD version is on one channel, but the SD version is on multiple HBO channels, jus removing the HBO-SD channel does nothing for you.

9. MadTxn

MadTxn New Member

Jan 29, 2005
    I was trying to search by title, let's take "Prison Break." I live between Baltimore & DC, so I get both FOX 5 (DC) and FOX 45 (Bmore), but only the FOX Bmore in HD (213 or something). When I search for "Prison Break" it shows the version on 5 & 75, but not the HD version. What happened?

<edit>
    I think this answered my question: