Man vs. wild - Kenya, If he was alone......

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by omnibus, Jul 16, 2007.

1. omnibus

omnibus cowboy, yee-ha

Sep 25, 2001
    Lost in Wyoming

Advertisements

The host was stared at from close range by Elephants, Hippos and Lions. In this ep he also squeezes liquid from elephant dung for drinking. They seem to go for this kind of gross-out every show.

If the Lions had been looking at a lone human especially when they were in a family group, Bear would have been toast.

In reality the beasts were seeing at least three people, Bear, cameraman and sound man.

Because of this a large part of the authenticity of the show is gone for me.

2. laststarfighter

laststarfighter New Member

Feb 27, 2006
    Sacramento, CA
    The show's authenticity was long gone before that. I let that go long ago. The show is still entertaining and enjoyable without it.

3. tlynch5

tlynch5 New Member

Nov 22, 2002
    Saint Louis, MO
    He never tries to imply he is alone. Personally I think the camera crew adds to the show by allowing Bear to do things he just couldn't do if he were truly alone.

4. Mars Rocket

Mars Rocket Loosely wound

Mar 24, 2000
    Sinnoh region
    But that's one of the problems I have with the show - he does stuff that nobody in their right mind would try because it's too dangerous. But he does it knowing he has support there and somebody to call in a helicopter if he breaks a leg or gets stuck or whatever.

I find Survivorman, with Les Stroud, to be much more entertaining for that reason. He's really out there alone, with nobody to rely on but himself.

Watching Bear Grylls "survive" is like watching magic on TV. :rolleyes:

5. jones07

jones07 eff.org warrior

Jan 30, 2001
    Phila, Pa....

Advertisements

I believed I read somewhere that Les Stroud also carries a radio in case of emergencies.

So he is never "really" alone

6. Mars Rocket

Mar 24, 2000
    Sinnoh region
    He carries an "emergency satellite phone", but he's still alone up to the point of rescue. He's not going to try something that could knock him out or cause him to break a leg and suffer until help arrives. In the Kenya episode this thread is about, Bear right away climbs up some steep embankment that would be a foolish risk for somebody who didn't have people nearby to assist in case he slipped or fell.

7. tlynch5

tlynch5 New Member

Nov 22, 2002
    Saint Louis, MO
    I watched an episode of Survivorman last night where he was "lost" at sea. So lost that he had a dingy tethered to his rescue raft that he slept in to stay dry. Also he had a radio he used to stay in contact with a boat that was following him so he wouldnt get too lost.

My favorite part was when the bad weather came and he spent the night on the tracking boat.

8. Mars Rocket

Mar 24, 2000
    Sinnoh region
    Not to defend him too much, but IIRC that episode ended up more as "lost on a desert island" than "lost at sea" because they realized fairly quickly how screwed Les would really be if he were just stuck on the raft.

Still, he tries to be as independent as possible.