Man Up: Series Premiere "Pilot" Oct 18 2011

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by astrohip, Oct 18, 2011.

1. astrohip

astrohip Well-Known Raconteur TCF Club

Jan 6, 2003
    Houston/Bren...
    Seriously? Someone greenlit this?

I'll try anything once, and my policy with sitcoms is give them a chance. Try two or three eps, see if they can get their groove on.

Sometimes you gotta break policy. SP deleted.

YMMV.

2. YCantAngieRead

YCantAngieRead Not Entirely Current

Nov 5, 2003
    Slightly amusing. Trying to be a Modern Family knockoff.

I might TiVo it just because I have absolutely nothing else to TiVo Tuesday nights.

3. scooterboy

scooterboy Coney Island Small

Mar 27, 2001
    East...
    I somehow set up a SP for this and I have no memory of doing it. Will watch it sometime when I need to kill 20 minutes.

4. mrdazzo7

mrdazzo7 Well-Known Member

Jan 8, 2006
    I had to Google this to see what it was... I think I read about it over the summer and it sounded like a cliche-ridden premise then (I guess they didn't make any tweaks judging from the current reviews). I love writing and have a hard time actually completing stuff because I genuinely try to come up with things that are my own, so it grates a little bit when I see stuff get to production that has been done at least 20 times in the last few years alone. Not sure who's running this stuff but viewers are getting way too savvy to keep rehashing the same stereotypes/characters every week, in movies and TV.

It's sad to think that if I had written something like this it would be on the air and yet the stuff I really work on for years will never see the light of day... Ironnnyyy..

5. Hoffer

Hoffer Eat Lightning ----- Poo Thunder TCF Club

Jun 1, 2001
    Twin Cities, MN
    I actually really enjoyed this show. I laughed out loud a couple times. Definite keeper for me.

6. dimented

dimented Comfortably Numb TCF Club

May 21, 2003
    Somewhere...
    I liked it. Will keep it.

7. flikhem

flikhem Member

Sep 5, 2007
    Las Vegas, NV
    :thumbsdown:
    I bailed after less than 10 minutes. Combined with Last Man Standing, another hour freed up.

8. Donbadabon

Donbadabon Bored TCF Club

Mar 5, 2002
    Nashville, TN
    It interested me enough to stay around for 1 or 2 more, to see how it goes.

9. Gary McCoy

Gary McCoy Active Member

Jun 4, 2003
    San Jose, CA
    :eek::(:thumbsdown:

10. Jonathan_S

Jonathan_S Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2001
    Northern...
    It was complete 'meh' for me. I didn't hate it, or really even dislike much of it. I just have no interest is watching more of it...

11. Frylock

Frylock Well-Known Member

Feb 13, 2002
    Just West...
    The first 10 minutes were awful. But it improved from there. Enough for me to give an episode beyond the pilot a shot.

12. Hoffer

Hoffer Eat Lightning ----- Poo Thunder TCF Club

Jun 1, 2001
    Twin Cities, MN
    Yeah, I thought it started off rough too. The whole video gaming thing I found really stupid. By the end of the show, I was shocked by how much I was enjoying the show. I'm sad to see so much dislike for the show in this thread.

13. scooterboy

scooterboy Coney Island Small

Mar 27, 2001
    East...
    I liked Traffic Light much better than this, and that one didn't make it soooo.....

14. Church AV Guy

Church AV Guy Active Member

Jan 19, 2005
    high desert...
    I finally watched it. I didn't laugh once during the whole show. I'm getting very annoyed at shows that depict the husband/father characters as clueless and stupid.

15. astrohip

astrohip Well-Known Raconteur TCF Club

Jan 6, 2003
    Houston/Bren...
    I definitely think that's part of it. It's too cliched to be used to support a sitcom any more. Husbands are stupid, wife rolls her eyes, but she still loves him, yada yada.

Pleeease come up with something new.

16. Byteofram

Byteofram Survivor of C-bus

Oct 29, 2004
    Buckeye Land
    I like that it is supposed to be taking place in Gahanna, Ohio...about 10-15 minutes from me. :) I thought it had some good parts, and will give it a few more episodes.

17. Supfreak26

Supfreak26 Go Cowboys!

Dec 12, 2003
    McKinney, TX
    I liked it. Laughed several times and enjoyed the characters right off the bat. It's a keeper for me.

18. getreal

getreal postcrastinator

Sep 29, 2003
    Earth
    I also enjoyed this. It is just silly enough for my tastes.
    I did not know that Henry Simmons (Grant) could be that funny. Great character!

19. Steveknj

Steveknj Lost in New Joisey TCF Club

Mar 10, 2003
    New Jersey
    I thought it was decent...not the best, not the worst. It reminded me a bit of an old show that I used to like that didn't quite make it called Hidden Hills (with that show killer, Paula Marshall).