Man Seeking Woman

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by mr.unnatural, Jan 22, 2015.

1. mr.unnatural

mr.unnatural Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2006
    Ellicott...

Advertisements

New comedy on Wednesday night right after "It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia" on Fxx. Stars Jay Baruchel and is based on Simon Rich's book "The Last Girlfriend on Earth." It's a funny take on relationships and dating. The 1st episode was surprisingly tame for Fxx comedies (i.e., a lot less raunchy than you'd expect) and was very funny. The 2nd episode stepped up the raunch factor by just a little, but still not bad overall. Definitely worthy checking out, IMHO.

2. Bierboy

Bierboy Seasoned gas passer

Jun 12, 2004
    Fishers, IN
    It was horrible....I deleted the first ep before it was even half done....

3. cherry ghost

cherry ghost Well-Known Member

Sep 13, 2005
    Chicago
    I almost gave up early, but the Hitler stuff was funny. Haven't watched second ep yet.

4. Rob Helmerichs

Rob Helmerichs I am Groot! TCF Club

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    I love this show. It's a bit uneven (the first episode took a while to get rolling, and the second petered out after the text was sent), but often it has me laughing out loud...which is unusual for me.

5. astrohip

astrohip Well-Known Raconteur TCF Club

Jan 6, 2003
    Houston/Bren...

Advertisements

Gave it a try, but couldn't wait to delete the SP once I watched it.

Clearly not everyone's cup o' tea.

6. Bierboy

Jun 12, 2004
    Fishers, IN
    Clearly....I just set up recordings for the first two eps (no SP) to see if I'd like it, but deleted the second from my TDL after deleting the first ep about 10 mins in...

7. Rob Helmerichs

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    Did you get to the blind date? Because if you didn't, then you have no idea what kind of show you're not watching... ;)

8. scandia101

scandia101 Just the facts ma'am

Oct 20, 2007
    MN, greater...
    Gorbachenka was hot!
    I love this show. I did think wtf am I watching? when things first got weird, then it got funny.

9. Jeeters

Jeeters Registered Snoozer

Feb 25, 2003
    PA
    Thought some of the first episode was amusing.

Really enjoyed the second episode. The "The Center for Important Matters" counsel trying to decide the best wording for the text message was terrific, right down to the klaxon alarm and everybody panicking when he misspelled a word.

10. jamesbobo

jamesbobo with a grain of salt

Jun 18, 2000
    NJ
    I didn't like it enough to watch after the first episode, even though the second half was an improvement over the first. It just wasn't enough.

11. waynomo

waynomo My One Time

Nov 9, 2002
    Seven...
    Yes, clearly!

I loved the first episode at least. When it first started I thought I wasn't going to be able to relate to it since I guess I'm a bit (or perhaps a lot) older than their target demographic.

But, yeah seems off beat and quirky. That is my cup of tea.

12. waynomo

waynomo My One Time

Nov 9, 2002
    Seven...
  13. Bob Coxner

Bob Coxner Active Member

Dec 1, 2004
    There won't be any meh's with this one. You'll either love it (I do) or hate it. No in-between.

Usually I can describe a new show to a friend by saying "it's X meets Y" or "it's a lot like Z". I can't think of a way to describe this one. That's a good thing in my book.

14. mr.unnatural

Feb 2, 2006
    Ellicott...
    The main reason I liked it is because it doesn't follow any standard formula used by 99.999% of the sitcoms currently on TV. It's quirky and different, which is definitely my cup of tea. One of the things I liked about it was the fact that they don't go over the top with discussions of genitalia and raunchy sexual situations that so many shows rely on these days for cheap laughs. That may change as the show progresses, but I'm hoping it doesn't. I'm sick of all the infantile potty jokes that are so prevalent in sitcoms.

15. Hoffer

Hoffer Eat Lightning ----- Poo Thunder TCF Club

Jun 1, 2001
    Twin Cities, MN
    I have heard all this stuff about how critics love this show. I watched the first episode and was not impressed. I guess I'll give it 1-2 more episodes.

16. MikeCC

MikeCC TiVotee

Jun 19, 2004
    I've tried the show, too. My reactions so far are varied: bored, confused, annoyed, with a moment or two of mild amusement.

To this point, I'd say the show ain't for me. I will give it one more ep to try to reel me in. If my reactions remain the same, I'm done.

As an aside, there's a reason so-called formula shows survive: the formula works. While I can laud that some try to find a new formula, or at least try to avoid too many clich├ęs, I usually find those attempts more tiresome than entertaining.

17. Bierboy

Jun 12, 2004
    Fishers, IN
    Actually, it was the blind date that prompted me to delete everything :rolleyes:

Maybe I'll give it another chance...but I just couldn't get through the first ep...

18. Rob Helmerichs

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    If you didn't like the blind date, then this is definitely not the show for you! Because it only gets stranger from there...

19. mr.unnatural

Feb 2, 2006
    Ellicott...
    Like every other show on TV, it's not something that will appeal to everyone. There are lots of shows that people here rave about that I consider absolute drek. I tend not to get involved in discussions about personal preference because that's all it is. If someone else doesn't like the same shows as me then that's all there is to it. If you gave it a shot and it didn't appeal to you then there's plenty of other stuff to watch. I liked it and thought others might like it as well, which is why I started the thread. It's nothing more than making others aware of a show they might also enjoy.

20. supasta

supasta Active Member

May 6, 2006
    Colorado
    I find myself currently at meh.
    I really like Jay Baruchel, so when I saw the promo, I fired up the SP.

After two episodes, meh. And I like weird. I'm giving it a third episode to push me off the fence.