1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Man in the High Castle Season 3 - full season spoilers

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by milo99, Oct 7, 2018.

1. Oct 7, 2018 #1 of 35
    milo99

milo99 Well-Known Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Falls...
    Didnt find a thread for this yet. Just binged the whole season and really liked it.

End of season comment follows so be warned if you're not done yet!

Was disappointed that the end didnt conclude any big story line. Gotta wait for a whole new season. Yeah some big things happened but nothing is resolved. Its like Empire strikes back.

Plus something didnt make sense about the travelers having to be people who are dead on the other side. Tagomi wasnt dead on the other side. So whats that about?

2. Oct 8, 2018 #2 of 35
    tivoknucklehead

tivoknucklehead Well-Known Member

Dec 12, 2002
    Orlando Florida
    watched season 1 and 2. Like s1 alot, s2 not so much. watched recap in s3e1 and decided this show is too confusing to follow any more so I'm done

3. Oct 8, 2018 #3 of 35
    Rob Helmerichs

Rob Helmerichs I am Groot! TCF Club

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    I thought season 3 was magnificent. This show just keeps getting better.

Different strokes, I guess! ;)

Steveknj and tim1724 like this.
  4. Oct 8, 2018 #4 of 35
    milo99

milo99 Well-Known Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Falls...
    yeah, and actually watching that 30 min recap helped me remember everything and honestly, helped solidify my understanding of what was going on. Because it IS a little confusing. But great nonetheless IMO of course.

5. Oct 8, 2018 #5 of 35
    Saturn_V

Saturn_V Now with flavor!

Jun 1, 2007
    Oklahoma...
    This is the first season I actually liked watching the principals. (Juliana Crain, Frank Fink, Joe Blake) All three characters were changed completely from S1 & S2; and the changes made sense, the character arcs fit the narrative, and the performances were better than previous seasons. And all three "exits" were masterful- none felt arbitrary or done for shock value.

But watching Smith lose his family through his ascendancy was probably the best thing about S3. Hope he gets a nod when Emmys are voted on.

Just hope we don't have to wait another 2 years for S4 (already greenlit)

tim1724 likes this.
  6. Oct 8, 2018 #6 of 35
    Rob Helmerichs

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    Although they were pretty shocking! But yes, they were well-justified as well. Truly great writing and directing.

7. Saturn_V

Jun 1, 2007
    Oklahoma...
    There's a "throwaway line" in Season 2E08 where Juliana (Tagomi's daughter in law version) says she feared Tagomi jumped from a bridge after a family quarrel.
    The family assumed their Tagomi went on a bender and abandoned them, when he actually killed himself. And Michiko (Tagomi's wife) had filed for dissolution of the marriage, (S2E05) that version of Tagomi had been dead for a while.

8. osu1991

osu1991 Active Member

Mar 6, 2015
    Oklahoma
    Finally have time to watch. Just starting 301. Took me forever to find the UHD version, why amazon makes that so hard is mind boggling. Especially on their own 4K devices.

9. Rob Helmerichs

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    There is a 4K version? I couldn't find it at all...

10. osu1991

osu1991 Active Member

Mar 6, 2015
    Oklahoma
  11. hummingbird_206

hummingbird_206 Retired

Aug 22, 2007
    Valley of...
    Thanks for the UHD link. Strange though that the 30 minute recap of S1 and S2 isn't in the UHD version of season 3. I had to go to the 'regular' season 3 version to find the recap. Guess they didn't want to create a UHD version of the recap?

12. jr461

jr461 Well-Known Member

Jul 9, 2004
    Northern NJ
    I thought the season was great. My theory, and it's a long shot for sure, is that Smith continues to build resentment towards the regime that made him lose his son and now the rest of his family and starts quietly working against them from the inside.

He has been less gung-ho as the season progressed regarding the reich's initiatives (certainly no glee like the others when they took down the Statue of Liberty and seemingly the only one with concerns about the rioting in the city). It also seemed like internally he was taking his wife's questioning of the rules kind of seriously and has been longingly watching the film with his son in it (presumably in a non-nazi world), as well as the picture of them fishing on his desk and having nightmares about nazi atrocities (including one on that fishing trip).

Really - what is with Amazon hiding the 4K versions! I couldn't find it either.

13. Saturn_V

Jun 1, 2007
    Oklahoma...
    I don't see Smith as a reformer. All of his actions were motivated by protecting his family. Now that's the family's gone, I expect him to act in self-interest and self-preservation- like he always has. Yes, he's tormented by the alternate life he could've had, a son who didn't euthanize himself, Yahr Null is breaking his heart, and the baggage of 20 years of genocide isn't helping matters.

But he's not a good guy. He's not going to resist or try to change things for the better- especially when GNR is the norm for a generation of young Americans. (why they showed the rioting)

funny thing is, the Ultra HD version is what queued and played for me- and I still use the HD/1080 FireTV devices. (you'd think the UHD versions would have to use H.265 instead of H.264- and my FireTV can't play H.265)

14. Rob Helmerichs

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    Although they have shown him looking disturbed by what's going on...

15. jr461

jr461 Well-Known Member

Jul 9, 2004
    Northern NJ
    Like I said, it's a long shot but he is appearing to show doubt and possibly disdain concerning recent events.

True, it may only be the family issues weighing on him while his views towards his party are the same as always, but it just seems like they're making an effort to provide an appearance of concern beyond just his family (not to mention the potential impending loss of another child before his wife ran off).

16. Cainebj

Cainebj Well-Known Member

Nov 10, 2006
    New York
    Season 3???? I didn't even get around to Season 2 yet!!!

17. RickStrobel

RickStrobel Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2000
    It gets better every season.

Stupid questions: Himler is Hitler's replacement?

I'm rooting for John Smith. Remember he said to Helen that he didn't ask for any of this, everything he's done was to protect his family. To me that means he never wanted to be a Nazi, but since he and his family would all be killed or worse, he joined them.

He's obviously troubled by most of the things the Nazis were doing at that time like destroying the Statue of Liberty, etc. I don't think he's doing that for appearances.

My hope is that in the next season or two he somehow is the catalyst rebuking the Nazis in America and bringing about a reality like Juliana is after.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2018
  18. jr461

jr461 Well-Known Member

Jul 9, 2004
    Northern NJ
    Correct concerning himler.

I'm rooting for Smith to do what you're hoping for but not generally rooting for him. I think he was probably a nazi sympathizer (there were plenty in the US) to begin with and not someone who would have been killed otherwise. My thought is that he didn't ask to be moved up the ranks so quickly. But he's still a nazi. Like you I think he's become troubled by recent events and, most importantly, how it has affected his family.

Hopefully the next season comes sooner than the wait for season 3!

19. Saturn_V

Jun 1, 2007
    Oklahoma...
    The most troubling thing (for me) of the Yahr Null events was the demolishing of the Lincoln Memorial. That left me feeling a little uneasy after seeing it.

20. RickStrobel

RickStrobel Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2000