Man in the High Castle - season 3, eps 8-9 *spoilers*

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by cwerdna, Dec 30, 2018.

1. cwerdna

cwerdna Proud Tivolutionary

Feb 22, 2001
    SF Bay Area, CA

Advertisements

I've only made it thru ep 8 and have started on 9.

I was surprised the Japanese just dumped the body of the assassin in front of the German embassy instead of investigating further.

2. cwerdna

cwerdna Proud Tivolutionary

Feb 22, 2001
    SF Bay Area, CA
    Ok. I'm on ep 10 now.

Was surprised that Frink was beheaded by Kido. At first, I didn't know why Kido brought him out to a former internment camp and uncuffed him. When there was the "apology" and slight bow, I thought maybe Kido felt guilty or something. When Kido went back to the car, I figured he was just going to leave Frink out there to die.

I was doing some quick digging and was interesting to learn that was an actual Dr. Mengele.

Josef Mengele - Biography - IMDb
    Josef Mengele - Wikipedia

I've tried to compare season 2 and 3 and it's tough to say which is better. Maybe they're about on par or season 2 was slightly better.

side questions: In the book, is there a Die Nebenwelt? Was homosexuality discussed and frowned upon (likely even illegal) in the Reich? Did John Smith ascend to Reichsmarschall? Was his son defective and thus killed?

Last edited: Dec 31, 2018
  3. Craigbob

Craigbob Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2006
    Land of...
    Yeah, I was surprised Frink was decapitated too. It was a well done scene. It led us down one path and shocked us with the other.

I think Season 3 was much better than two. and no there was no Die Nebenwelt in the book.

I must say that I'm surprised that you were unaware of Josef Mengele's existence. Don't they teach anything about WWII and the holocaust in school anymore? Granted I don't know you or how old you are, but when I was in school in the '70s we learned all about the Holocaust and Nazi atrocities. Granted I'm now twice as removed from my school days as my school days were from the actual war. But still I'm surprised you didn't know.

4. Rob Helmerichs

Rob Helmerichs I am Groot! TCF Club

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    Yeah, Mengele is such a big figure not only in history but in popular culture. I bet cwerdna has encountered him numerous times without realizing it...

markymark_ctown likes this.
  5. Steveknj

Steveknj Lost in New Joisey TCF Club

Mar 10, 2003
    New Jersey

Advertisements

To your side question, yes, homosexuality was illegal and they were sent to camps just like Jews

6. JYoung

JYoung Series 3

Jan 16, 2002
    Los Angeles
    What impressed me that it looked like that they sent Fuente and Evans from Vancouver to the actual Manazar site in the California desert to shoot that last scene.
    And it makes sense that Kido would have problems with (White) Americans if he helped liberate Japanese-Americans from there.

7. Pokemon_Dad

Pokemon_Dad Ruler of Unown UI

Jan 19, 2008
    Silicon Valley
    Even season one has more going on than the book, in which there is no John Smith. At this point we're waaay beyond the book, which contains nothing about Die Nebenwelt.

tim1724 and cwerdna like this.