Making the switch from d* tivo to hd tivo

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by gdomeier, Aug 30, 2007.

1. gdomeier

gdomeier New Member

Nov 6, 2001
    Sartell, MN USA
    My D* hughes tivo unit is starting to act flakey (rebooting, lockups) so I decided to get a hd tivo. Made a quick run to best buy and picked one up on my lunch hour. I got home and started the setup process.

I have my updates installed, and I have 8 days until my cable guy (charter) gets here.

I will report back on how the install goes.

2. jbernardis

jbernardis Active Member

Oct 21, 2003
    Princeton NJ
    Good luck. I did the same thing a few months ago when tivo was running their father's day rebates; I bought 2 S3's. Although I regretted giving up some of the DTV contest (Sunday Ticket) I have absolutely no regrets about the move. Picture quality is excellent and I no longer have lip synch problems. Hopefully things will go as smoothly for you.

3. gdomeier

gdomeier New Member

Nov 6, 2001
    Sartell, MN USA
    Good to hear. I am not so much worried about missed channels, although I haven't looked too closely. My main fear is that the installer bungles the cable card setup.

4. jeffster

jeffster Member

Feb 18, 2001
    Southlake, TX
    I'm moving into an area with FIOS (Southlake, TX), and will be switching from D* to FIOS when I get there. Looking to add an S3 or TivoHD (or 2) to my setup.

My biggest concern is the monthly cost; I've been on lifetime Tivo forever with my D* boxes, so I'm concerned about how much extry this all is gonna run me...

5. F4Boy

F4Boy New Member

Dec 10, 2002
    Southern...
    I just switched yesterday, and agree with you. FIOS offers such a significantly better PQ than D*. It's amazing. I can really see it on the 65" RPTV. Crystal clear on everything compared to all the artifacts with D*. Also connected a new LCD yesterday and it's stunning!!! Would like to have the Sunday Ticket of course, but it really isn't huge deal for me. And on the plus side, I'll save $325 or whatever.

Can't wait to call D* later and cancel!!!! :D