1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Making my own coax cables

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by DeltaOne, May 16, 2018.

1. DeltaOne

DeltaOne Mount Airy, MD

Sep 29, 2013
    I had a Comcast guy out last week for a small issue. The tech had really neat compression type F connectors. Now I want my own. So, I need three things: cable stripper, crimping tool and compression connectors. I've narrowed my selection down to the following items. If anyone knows of something different or better...I'd love to know.

cable stripper: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01B1NVUYE/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?smid=A3TCXIBA125BM2&psc=1

crimping tool: https://www.amazon.com/TENINYU-Crim...&sr=1-41&keywords=coaxial+cable+crimping+tool

compression connectors: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00B8CISSU/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A1UA99C0LXWB8A&psc=1

The compression connectors are for RG6. I'm pretty sure they would work fine for my RG59...if you think not...let me know.

2. jrtroo

jrtroo Chill- its just TV

Feb 4, 2008
    Chicagoland
    I would get connectors to exactly match the cable size. I have accidentally tried a RG59 connector on RG6 cable, which did not work, never tried the opposite. They are cheap enough to get both.

3. kpeters59

kpeters59 Well-Known Member

Jun 19, 2007
    If you don't use the same connectors that Comcast uses, they will replace them when they see them. That's VERY annoying.

The Tech's are pretty much required to replace fittings that aren't 'theirs'...

-KP

4. Bigg

Bigg Cord Cutter

Oct 30, 2003
    Hartford-...
    If you can, run RG-6. RG-59 is sometimes tolerated, but never preferred in modern, high-frequency, high-bandwidth systems. Those tools look fine otherwise, I have similar stuff, mostly from Monoprice I think. I would think you could put those connectors on RG-59, but I don't think I've ever tried it, as I've gone to 100% RG-6. No more RG-59 for me.

5. Bigg

Bigg Cord Cutter

Oct 30, 2003
    Hartford-...
    They've got RG-59 specific connectors, if you have RG-59 runs that you absolutely can't replace with RG-6, spend the $11 and get the right connectors.

6. DeltaOne

DeltaOne Mount Airy, MD

Sep 29, 2013
    The Comcast tech replaced my 2 two-way splitters with one three-way splitter. I thought he had replaced all four connectors but discovered yesterday he only replaced 3 of the 4. Maybe he thought the one was good enough? Anyway...I'll probably replace it when I get my own equipment.

7. DeltaOne

DeltaOne Mount Airy, MD

Sep 29, 2013
    Will do. My searches on Amazon weren't turning up compression connectors for RG59...I'll go back and look again.

I think the reason you found that RG59 connectors won't work on RG6 is that the insulation around the center conductor is thicker on RG6.

Bigg likes this.
  8. DeltaOne

DeltaOne Mount Airy, MD

Sep 29, 2013
    Will do.

Bigg likes this.
  9. Diana Collins

Diana Collins Well-Known Member TCF Club

Aug 21, 2002
    New York...
  10. kpeters59

Jun 19, 2007
  11. Bigg

Bigg Cord Cutter

Oct 30, 2003
    Hartford-...
  12. DeltaOne

DeltaOne Mount Airy, MD

Sep 29, 2013
    I changed my order...to the crimper with the blue handle. The crimper, cable stripper and f-connector compression fittings should be delivered tomorrow (Saturday). New toys...I'm excited.

kpeters59 and Bigg like this.
  13. HerronScott

HerronScott Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2002
    Staunton, VA
    You guys make me feel like I need to replace my old school crimping tool. :)

upload_2018-5-19_11-10-35.png
    Bought this probably 20+ years ago after having used it when I worked as a cable installer over summers 35-36 years ago.

And our cable stripper back then was one of these.... :)

upload_2018-5-19_11-14-4.png
    Actually I haven't made any coax cables in years so probably should just ignore the need for new toys.

Scott

14. kpeters59

Jun 19, 2007
    Yeah, the higher frequencies of MoCA pretty much dictate that those crimps don't get used.

Plus, Comcast Techs are taught to put a wrench on the fittings to ensure they're good and tight.

-KP

15. DeltaOne

DeltaOne Mount Airy, MD

Sep 29, 2013
    I've got a crimping tool similar to that...but the new f-connectors are crimped long-ways.

My new f-connectors have been delivered so far today...the coax stripper and crimper should come later today.

16. wizwor

wizwor Active Member

Dec 17, 2013
    Great topic. Had DirecTV on the premises Saturday. I was very impressed with the ease and quality of his compression fitting installations. Was looking for trustworthy opinions and stumbled across this. Thanks for the links!

17. sfhub

sfhub Well-Known Member

Jan 6, 2007
    You should just get the fittings that are made for your cable type, RG6, RG6 Quad Shield, or RG59. The better connectors are environmentally sealed (keeps out water) and they don't work well if your connector doesn't match your cable. If you use smaller connectors on larger cables, you'll rub your fingers raw trying to get the connector on the cable. If you use larger connectors on smaller cables, (besides possibly not being environmentally sealed anymore) you'll often get interference if you bend the cables near the connectors, which often happens in tight areas or in media cabinets.

I don't know your budget, but I use this tool.
    #9800 US - Uni-Seal Prep Drop Tool | SARGENT Tools
    Sargent 9000US RG6/59/11Uni-Seal Compression Tool

It has an integrated stripper (so you don't need carry around a separate stripper) and very high mechanical advantage (so it compresses like butter).

I use it with Belden/Thomas&Betts Snap-n-Seal connectors. You can get these on ebay. They are color coded for the type of cable:

SNS1P6 Blue for RG6
    SNS1P6QS Purple for RG6-quad
    SNS1P59 Orange for RG59

These are extremely strong, environmentally sealed, and no matter what angle you bend your cable, they always tighten/loosen smoothly.

I recommend you only use RG6 or RG6-Quad.

I guess if you are stuck with RG59 then that is what you are stuck with, but if you can choose or replace your cable, use RG6. The cost of materials is minor compared to installation and debugging time.

RG59 has noticeable signal loss on anything but short runs and RG6 has mandatory foil and high density braid to reduce interference and is geared towards GHz signals. For example, 100ft RG59 1GHz vs 100ft RG6 1GHz, you'll have about 1/8th your signal with RG59 vs 1/4th your signal with RG6. This is before you even add your signal loss for splitters.

krkaufman likes this.
  18. DeltaOne

DeltaOne Mount Airy, MD

Sep 29, 2013
    I ordered a different crimper than the link in my original post. If you search on Amazon you'll find it...it has a blue handle. Easy to find. The crimper with the blue handle is adjustable...the one in my original post, with the red handle, is not adjustable. It probably would have been fine, but I opted for the adjustable one.

I used the new tools yesterday for the first time. The cable stripper worked fine, only requiring a slight adjustment (the included allen wrench is easy to miss...it's snapped in to the back of the tool).

The crimper worked fine too.

19. DeltaOne

DeltaOne Mount Airy, MD

Sep 29, 2013
    Agreed.

I was using my new tools and compression connectors yesterday. I was shortening one cable, removing extra I had looped/tied and left in place. Didn't take long to discover that it was RG6 when I could not get the RG59 connector on.

While I had bought RG59 connectors (thinking all my cable was RG59), I had one RG6 connector the Comcast tech had left with me. So I used that. Now I'm off to supplement my RG59 connectors with some RG6 connectors so I don't get caught like that in the future.

Thanks for the URL for the tool you use. Looks great, but was more than I wanted to spend for my occasional use. I will probably only need to use this stuff once a year or so.

20. wizwor

wizwor Active Member

Dec 17, 2013
    One of these?
    Look like they may all be the same tool in different kits.

Last edited: May 22, 2018